Custom Putters and Fittings?

Wishbone.'.

Reaction score
Handicap
Hello! I’m in Texas and looking to have a custom putter built and want to get fit correctly. I’ve heard mixed reviews about club champion putter fitting in that you only take 7 strokes on the SAM
Lab. I really want to get this done right. Even consider going to the Scotty Cameron gallery for a fitting. Do you guys and gals have any suggestions as far as awesome putter fittings? I know Edel has a cool process as well but a lot of what I’ve read had people retiring their Edel after a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't been fitted for a putter but only 7 strokes on the SAM? The putter fitting is supposed to be an hour long at CC, I can't imagine thats all they do.

I haven't been fitted for a putter but only 7 strokes on the SAM? The putter fitting is supposed to be an hour long at CC, I can't imagine thats all they do.

Yes it’s only 7 stokes however others have said that it doesn’t matter if you take 7 or 7000 strokes, the results will be the same unless you’re very inconsistent. I have no idea if this is true. Just read it somewhere.

I know they need to cover the cost of the equipment but $100 for 7 strokes seems like a lot.

I did a quick version of one at TrueSpec and didn't find out anything earth shattering. It seemed I had migrated to a pretty good fit.

well its 7 strokes to get your lab results back yes... but then of course you get to test the recommended models. Some will have stock steel shafts, some have the stability shaft, some have the Fujikura MCI putter shaft. You'll get to try flow necks or plumbers neck.

Along with the recommend model, then it'll tell you about what loft of putter you should have. You might test either an insert face or a milled putter and find you have to tweak the loft based on the feedback from the face also

My Club Champion putter fitting was WAY more than 7 strokes.
The first 7 strokes on Sam are to give you lab results, because after 7, you start adjusting.

Then from there, you try different models, different shafts, a number of neck options to get dialed in.

It took just over an hour and was very thorough.

The first 7 strokes on Sam are to give you lab results, because after 7, you start adjusting.

Then from there, you try different models, different shafts, a number of neck options to get dialed in.

Based on that it sounds interesting.

That’s encouraging! I’ve read serval that said only 7 but I think I will call them and ask about it and report back.

well its 7 strokes to get your lab results back yes... but then of course you get to test the recommended models. Some will have stock steel shafts, some have the stability shaft, some have the Fujikura MCI putter shaft. You'll get to try flow necks or plumbers neck.

Along with the recommend model, then it'll tell you about what loft of putter you should have. You might test either an insert face or a milled putter and find you have to tweak the loft based on the feedback from the face also

This is exactly what I found. I thought it was thorough, and balanced.

I think some want to sit on SAM all day and hit putters. That really isn't a fitting, but more of a demo day :D
Just like full swings, the goal is to find a fit without altering natural tendencies to adjust.

This is exactly what I found. I thought it was thorough, and balanced.

I think some want to sit on SAM all day and hit putters. That really isn't a fitting, but more of a demo day :D
Just like full swings, the goal is to find a fit without altering natural tendencies to adjust.
yea I thought it was very thorough and it helped lower my score more than anything else I was fit to at CC. You know im a horrible putter and left putts short all the time. We found that strenghting my Bettinardi from 4* to 2* gave me a smoother, end over end roll consistently. The 4* and my stroke initially popped up the ball causing me to leave it short all the time

yea I thought it was very thorough and it helped lower my score more than anything else I was fit to at CC. You know im a horrible putter and left putts short all the time. We found that strenghting my Bettinardi from 4* to 2* gave me a smoother, end over end roll consistently. The 4* and my stroke initially popped up the ball causing me to leave it short all the time

Interesting info thanks!

I've done SAM and Edel.
The best results I got was the cheapest route, ironically. The Ping ap on that putter cradle dealio.
Haven't veered from it, and those specs work great for me no matter the style of putter I use. Finally getting the length correct and the lie angle was the biggest thing for me.

Only concern I have about putter fittings is that it's on astroturf, and conditions at your typical course might warrant more loft to get it up on top of the grass properly, especially if they run a little slower.

I've done SAM and Edel.
The best results I got was the cheapest route, ironically. The Ping ap on that putter cradle dealio.
Haven't veered from it, and those specs work great for me no matter the style of putter I use. Finally getting the length correct and the lie angle was the biggest thing for me.

Only concern I have about putter fittings is that it's on astroturf, and conditions at your typical course might warrant more loft to get it up on top of the grass properly, especially if they run a little slower.

So this is a Ping app in the App Store?

iPing 2.0 app. There's a cradle that you use to attach the phone to the putter shaft, but instead, I went homemade, got an old phone case and superglued a rubber shaft holder to it.

Once it's attached to the shaft, you can make a few putts and it'll tell you whether you have more of a SBST, slight, or strong arc stroke.

for +25 years I think my putter setup and stroke changed from round to round and potentially within the round. In other words, my setup varied on a stroke where a degree matters. I never took the time to get fit until my stroke was working and similar from round to round. In this situation, I can imagine optimizing in 7 strokes. I also can't imagine an important fitting if you are not putting the same stroke to stroke going in. I could imagine coming out with a putter that did not work because I did not do what I did in the fitting

for +25 years I think my putter setup and stroke changed from round to round and potentially within the round. In other words, my setup varied on a stroke where a degree matters. I never took the time to get fit until my stroke was working and similar from round to round. In this situation, I can imagine optimizing in 7 strokes. I also can't imagine an important fitting if you are not putting the same stroke to stroke going in. I could imagine coming out with a putter that did not work because I did not do what I did in the fitting

I’ve used a SEEMORE putter for quite sometime. I love that I’m able to set up to the ball consistently. To your point, I did change my stoke when I started following Eric Kaplan’s stuff which helped the consistency of my stroke but the posture of my body has has made the lie angle way too flat.

I would think so. This was the original version that I was exposed to. It was brand new at the time and part of a Ping fitting at Hazeltine.
I might ask a local golf store if they have a cradle in the store to borrow. Otherwise, they used to sell one. It was iphone only back then, so hopefully both platforms now.

It gave all the specs for me in addition to the putting stroke path. I guess you're supposed to be able to practice with it, but it's a little heavy and unusual to look down at, so I kinda doubt the efficacy for that function. But I just love the specs it came up with. No need to change for me at all.

I would think so. This was the original version that I was exposed to. It was brand new at the time and part of a Ping fitting at Hazeltine.
I might ask a local golf store if they have a cradle in the store to borrow. Otherwise, they used to sell one. It was iphone only back then, so hopefully both platforms now.

It gave all the specs for me in addition to the putting stroke path. I guess you're supposed to be able to practice with it, but it's a little heavy and unusual to look down at, so I kinda doubt the efficacy for that function. But I just love the specs it came up with. No need to change for me at all.

Good info! I’ll look into this.

That's what mine was as part of a full bag. Well plus 3 warmup strokes.

That's what mine was as part of a full bag. Well plus 3 warmup strokes.
So you took 7 strokes and then... that was it? You didn't test other putters or anything? Did they make recommendations?

So you took 7 strokes and then... that was it? You didn't test other putters or anything? Did they make recommendations?

no other putters, just 7 putts with my $25 anser 2 gamer at the time, then was told it was perfect.

This was pre-THP and I was extremely naive about the whole fitting process. I tried to ask some questions about why and he pointed at numbers and said something I didn't understand and we moved on. Now I would know more what to ask and what other things I would want to try. but it was still weird, and not the standard experience of most on here.

Back