Cut my handicap in half

Jtubb17

Professional Pot Stirrer
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
My handicap is currently sitting at 14 and I've been hovering right around there this whole year. I've decided that between now and my birthday in mid May, I'm going to cut my number in half and get down under a 7. I'm posting all this tldr nonsense because I feel like putting some accountability on myself and sharing my journey if anyone else is bored and wants to follow along.

So here's a little bit of my boring backstory progress up to this point as a frame of reference. 2020 I found competitive golf and started off as a 24.9 handicap in the tournament series I was playing. I got down to a 20.1 at the end of 2021 and this is when I found THP so I started trying to learn even more. I got picked for the Morgan Cup in early 2022 and was about an 18 at the time. I practiced as much as I could so I wouldn't embarrass myself or let down my teammates in October and got down to a 16 by the event. By the end of the year I was about a 15. This year my practice time has pretty much disappeared. I still play a lot of rounds, but I've been changing shafts, drivers, long irons, and not really focusing on improving. I'm sick of seeing my GHIN go down a little then right back up. I'm going to take it down significantly and for good!

So how am I going to attack this lofty goal of getting to under 7 in just over 6 months? Well I have a practice schedule that I've put together. Lucky for me, things are falling into place where I can dedicate at least 1 hour per day to practice probably 5 days a week. I can also get out and play once a week at least 9 but likely 18 holes. My home course has a very nice practice area with a huge putting green, chipping green, pitch shot area, practice bunkers, targets on the range from 30-60 yards, greens from 70-250. Here's my initial plan that I'm going to follow:

Day 1: Driving Range
  • 30 minutes focusing on tempo of full swings with all clubs in the bag.
  • 30 minutes of practice hitting target areas on the range to improve accuracy with scoring clubs.
Day 2: Short Game
  • Chipping Drill: Multiple targets at different distances around a practice green and work on landing chip shots close to each target.
  • Pitching Drill: Various situations for pitch shots, like uneven lies, and practice controlling distance and trajectory.
  • Bunker Drill: Spend time practicing bunker shots, focusing on getting out of the sand and onto the green. As I improve, focus on doing it with control.
Day 3: Putting
  • Distance Control Drill: Place tees or markers at different distances on the practice green and practice putting to each one. Focus on consistent speed and distance control.
  • Alignment Drill: Work on putting alignment by using mirror, gate, and chalk line to ensure putter face is square to target line and putts are starting online.
  • Reading Greens: Practice reading and visualizing the break of putts on the practice green.
Day 4: On-Course Play
  • Focus on course management, shot selection, and thinking about each shot.
  • Keep track of your statistics with Shot Scope and review after the round.
  • Note the "catastrophic" mistakes and see if it's the same thing costing strokes multiple times per round.
Day 5: Short Game
  • Chip and Putt Game: Chip to a target and then hole the putt. Challenge yourself with different distances and lies. 9 holes and try to get to score of 18 or better.
  • Pitching to Different Targets: Pick various targets around the practice green and practice pitching to each one, focusing on accuracy.
  • Bunker Challenge: Various bunker shots including short and long to improve your bunker play.
Day 6: Putting
  • Lag Putting Drill: Focus on long-distance putts, working on getting the ball close to the hole without three-putting.
  • Circle Drill: 5 balls around the hole at 3 feet. Make all 5 without missing then move back to 4 feet. Make all 5 then move back to 5 feet.
  • Big Breaking Putts: Work on putts with significant breaks, practicing the line and speed needed to hole them.

I'll be posting my updates in here as I go along if anyone wants to follow with me. If not, I'll just keep talking to myself and I'm ok with that :LOL:

What are your thoughts on lessons along the way?

Good luck on your journey. I’d like to share some words of wisdom but I’ll be taking this trip with you. I’m shooting for another 5 stroke reduction. If I can get sub-8.2 by this time next year I’ll be happy. But I have nowhere near the plan you do.

I’ll follow but for a 6 day schedule
I’d play two days on course and 4 days practice.

Based on what I’ve seen, I think you’ve got a solid plan. Dropping from a 25 to a 15 in 2 years is already significant.

Any lessons planned in there? And where do you think you’ve got the most strokes to gain?

What are your thoughts on lessons along the way?
I have a lesson coming up because my swing from the tee box specifically has been bad. I'm going to get one focused on that to see what I'm doing wrong and need to work on. I'm going to schedule a lesson for short game work after that and iron play last. I've been going in with my coach every 4 or so months when something gets real bad. I'm probably going to try and make it more regular like once a month now.

Good luck on your journey. I’d like to share some words of wisdom but I’ll be taking this trip with you. I’m shooting for another 5 stroke reduction. If I can get sub-8.2 by this time next year I’ll be happy. But I have nowhere near the plan you do.
If I don't plan it out, I won't get the improvement that I'm looking for. I know myself and it's what worked for me leading up to the Morgan Cup. Good luck on your journey as well!

I’ll follow but for a 6 day schedule
I’d play two days on course and 4 days practice.
I'll probably get to that after the first month. I might be able to do one 18 hole round and one 9 hole round each week right now as well. I know that playing on course definitely helps out in speeding up the improvement.

Based on what I’ve seen, I think you’ve got a solid plan. Dropping from a 25 to a 15 in 2 years is already significant.

Any lessons planned in there? And where do you think you’ve got the most strokes to gain?
Lessons coming for sure. Right now I'm losing the most strokes off the tee and with my wedges. First lesson is to see what I'm doing wrong off the tee. I'm looking forward to getting the Edison wedge in the bag to fill a big gap. If the performance is what I'm hoping to see, I may be changing out the entire bottom of the bag rather quickly.

I have a lesson coming up because my swing from the tee box specifically has been bad. I'm going to get one focused on that to see what I'm doing wrong and need to work on. I'm going to schedule a lesson for short game work after that and iron play last. I've been going in with my coach every 4 or so months when something gets real bad. I'm probably going to try and make it more regular like once a month now.
Excellent. Love your plan.

Good luck man! Thats a great goal and I’ll be excited to see your progress. I want to bring my handicap down significantly next year as I think it should be a lot better.

Good luck, it’s great to have an actual plan instead of just saying I’m going to practice more.

Let's freaking go dude! You got this!

Best of luck! Sounds like you have a solid plan. Hope you get there and look forward to following your progress!!

Add speed training. It helps with every shot. I didn't think it would me but it really made a difference

Add speed training. It helps with every shot. I didn't think it would me but it really made a difference
I hadn’t considered specifically adding speed training. I will be doing more strength and mobility training. Started back up with a trainer for that

I hadn’t considered specifically adding speed training. I will be doing more strength and mobility training. Started back up with a trainer for that
Take 10 balls and just absolutely go mad with swinging FAST... not hard.. they aren't the same

Good luck, I'll be cheering you on! I think you should play as a 7 next week for practice

Good luck, I'll be cheering you on! I think you should play as a 7 next week for practice
How Bout No GIF

Good luck on your journey and sounds like you have a solid plan of attack.

F*ck dude, just buy an eraser....😎

That’s a great plan. What is your plan to keep yourself accountable during the sessions? Lots of note taking? Gaming each drill with scores to track?

Back