Cut my handicap in half

Played my first round of the year yesterday at 7:30 in the morning. Needless to say I wasn’t well rested and there was no range to warm up so it was a slow start. Overall not too upset with the round. I putted worse than I have been lately. Two 3 putts in the first four holes set me off on a rocky start.

I’m gonna post my strokes gained after each round. I want to pay more attention this year to where I’m losing strokes so I can make sure I’m keeping the focus where I need to. This was yesterday.

IMG_3810.png

Another thing I’m really focusing on is fitness. I’m definitely losing steam at the end of rounds and dropping too many shots there. Lots of time to go and overall off to a better start than last year.

Just caught up with this thread. Good luck my man, you have a great plan and I'll be an interested follower.

Practice time has been cut into a little bit I’m still getting in a decent amount. I’m going to need to up it a little more here when we knock it off with this stupid rain. I don’t know how you guys in states that Snow get through this time.

Since the beginning of the year, I’ve been playing some pretty good golf. My index is now down to an all time low of 12.1 so things are moving the right way.

I have a trip to Arizona for the AZ THP league event Saturday. I signed up for the SCGA Net Championships and play the first round in late March. Some good stuff to keep my focus on the practice and make the push for a 7 by mid May.

I don’t know how you guys in states that Snow get through this time.
Bored Spongebob Squarepants GIF by Nickelodeon

Since the beginning of the year, I’ve been playing some pretty good golf. My index is now down to an all time low of 12.1 so things are moving the right way.
This is awesome brother, keep it up!

Practice time has been cut into a little bit I’m still getting in a decent amount. I’m going to need to up it a little more here when we knock it off with this stupid rain. I don’t know how you guys in states that Snow get through this time.

I have a trip to Arizona for the AZ THP league event Saturday. I signed up for the SCGA Net Championships and play the first round in late March. Some good stuff to keep my focus on the practice and make the push for a 7 by mid May.
Keep it rolling and good luck in league this weekend!

I’m gonna post my strokes gained after each round. I want to pay more attention this year to where I’m losing strokes so I can make sure I’m keeping the focus where I need to.
What was the breakdown for SG since you set your goal? The round from Jan 2 looks like you might be taking putting lessons from Scheffler. ;):ROFLMAO: You've mentioned struggling off the tee, what's your miss?

Keep after it, you'll get there.

What was the breakdown for SG since you set your goal? The round from Jan 2 looks like you might be taking putting lessons from Scheffler. ;):ROFLMAO: You've mentioned struggling off the tee, what's your miss?

Keep after it, you'll get there.
That January 2 round was rough 😆. That was my first time playing that course and it has some tricky greens. I’ve got two more rounds scheduled there because that’s where the first round of SCGA net championships is at.

Off the tee I’ve been battling a two-way miss with driver. Tempo has been off and I’ve topped more than I care to think about. I went in and saw my coach to get it tuned up and it’s been trending the right direction. a big help for me would be dumping the driver more quickly when it feels off and sticking with the 2 hybrid.

This is my strokes gained vs a 10 since I started this challenge.
IMG_4101.png

For comparison, this is the year prior to me starting the challenge
IMG_4102.jpeg

I’m happy with the short game and putting improvements. Still a lot of room to improve putting for sure. I’m definitely frustrated with my approach play lately. I need to tidy that up and if I can get it back to where it was last year, I’ll see a big jump for sure.

Off the tee I’ve been battling a two-way miss with driver. Tempo has been off and I’ve topped more than I care to think about. I went in and saw my coach to get it tuned up and it’s been trending the right direction. a big help for me would be dumping the driver more quickly when it feels off and sticking with the 2 hybrid.
Two-way misses are tough. I went through that in 21 and 22. My driving was almost equally split. It's really disheartening to tee your ball and have absolutely no idea where it might go. I'd try to steer it and that didn't help. Going 3W or 5W helped a little but that experiment wasn't a significant improvement. Changing shafts really helped minimize the left miss which was the BIG one.

Shot a personal best 76 today! It was so nice to see the practice paying off and a round come together. Handicap dropped to 11.1 after today’s round

Shot a personal best 76 today! It was so nice to see the practice paying off and a round come together. Handicap dropped to 11.1 after today’s round
Great round dude!

Currently sitting at a 10.5 which is an all time low for me so I’m happy about that. I just got a new driver which fitting and then the first round showed some very promising results. Now I need to grind on the short game and get those last few strokes off to hit my goal in the next 2 months. Not sure if I’ll play enough rounds to get there but I’m going to make a push for it.

Tomorrow morning I’m playing in the SCGA Amateur Net qualifier. I ended up slotting in right at the cutoff for the third flight 10.4-14.5. Should be a fun experience.

Currently sitting at a 10.5 which is an all time low for me so I’m happy about that. I just got a new driver which fitting and then the first round showed some very promising results. Now I need to grind on the short game and get those last few strokes off to hit my goal in the next 2 months. Not sure if I’ll play enough rounds to get there but I’m going to make a push for it.

Tomorrow morning I’m playing in the SCGA Amateur Net qualifier. I ended up slotting in right at the cutoff for the third flight 10.4-14.5. Should be a fun experience.
Good luck tomorrow!

Kick some ass dude!

Well my tournament round was a round to forget. I had a 14 on the par 5 5th hole and unfortunately I never recovered mentally from that. Onto the next round!

That next round was yesterday and I played absolutely great. I shot 39/39 for a 78 and hit the ball incredibly well. The course had just punched the greens last week so chipping and putting struggled but my tee and approach game made up for it by a lot!

That round dropped my cap under a 10 which is incredibly exciting for me. I’m now sitting at a 9.8. I feel like my goal is in reach with some decently high scores in my calculations still that can be bumped out.

Stats since I started the challenge. There are a couple rounds my shot scope wasn’t charged and missed.
IMG_4284.png

It’s always fun to look at the stats. I feel like my tee game has been a struggle but numbers don’t lie. Need more practice time with the flat stick and I’m right at my goal!

Well my tournament round was a round to forget. I had a 14 on the par 5 5th hole and unfortunately I never recovered mentally from that. Onto the next round!

That next round was yesterday and I played absolutely great. I shot 39/39 for a 78 and hit the ball incredibly well. The course had just punched the greens last week so chipping and putting struggled but my tee and approach game made up for it by a lot!

That round dropped my cap under a 10 which is incredibly exciting for me. I’m now sitting at a 9.8. I feel like my goal is in reach with some decently high scores in my calculations still that can be bumped out.

Stats since I started the challenge. There are a couple rounds my shot scope wasn’t charged and missed.
View attachment 9251796

It’s always fun to look at the stats. I feel like my tee game has been a struggle but numbers don’t lie. Need more practice time with the flat stick and I’m right at my goal!
Great work getting to single digits!

View attachment 9251796

Awesome job @Jtubb17!

I came here to make a Dynamic Handicapping reference, but I rather say good luck @Jtubb17 ! I like your plan and dedication!

I came here to make a Dynamic Handicapping reference, but I rather say good luck @Jtubb17 ! I like your plan and dedication!
I’m ok with anything that allows me to tell people I’m dynamic. I’d just omit the handicap part 😆

Fun to follow your journey! Hopefully some Mitsubishi shafts will get you over the hump!

Fun to follow your journey! Hopefully some Mitsubishi shafts will get you over the hump!
Especially curious to see if a putter shaft can help bump that number in the right direction. Switching to the Odyssey Ai-One has helped but I still need more.

Especially curious to see if a putter shaft can help bump that number in the right direction. Switching to the Odyssey Ai-One has helped but I still need more.
I’m sure you’ll work it out. You have the passion and drive

I would suggest one that worked for me, but I think you have a different one in mind 😂

Happy for you! That’s already a heck of a drop in a very short time!

Back