David Leadbetter's A Swing book

Mystery Meat

Ben Hogan Fan
Reaction score
Handicap
Bad Gas
Haven't done a book review since High School Lit class. Anyway , this was one book I couldn't put down. Nice and simple and too the point with easy to follow illustrations. One area I'm working on is a better pivot. His explanations with some basic drills made me realize where I was going wrong in the past. Some great great drills here for guys that have always fought ott like me

Kindle Price:$13.99
Availability: Now
Illustrations: excellent
Drills: simple and well explained
Premise: fix backswing and downswing pivot for better golf
Audience: all handicap golfers

Tried my best at a review .. Give it 4 out of 5 stars.

great book; but would love to see David in person to make sure all is right if i attempted this swing

I've never taken to instruction books or youtube. If I'm looking to improve my swing I would see someone in person. Are you still trying to swing like that Lee guy.

I preordered the hardcover, and am a few chapters in. I don't think it is an outlandish swing, and actually incorporates a lot of traditional teachings.

Could help some of us simplify the swing and hopefully see better results. Will be trying some of this out going forward and will report back with results.

I've never taken to instruction books or youtube. If I'm looking to improve my swing I would see someone in person. Are you still trying to swing like that Lee guy.
I kept some of his ideas and still use them. But I needed a little more so i found another guy this fall to fix my ott pulls. Now I can hit down without being real steep. Just need to find time to play now :(, and no lessons can help with that

Was at Barnes and nobles tonight and seen this book. Went through it and liked what I read and seen. But yeah I'm more of a get a lesson from someone then try and learn from a book.

I've seen some of his videos on golf digest about this. I'm a bigger believer in a one plane swing. But I think these moves are easy enough to help beginners or people who need a lot of help.

Thanks blue , found this on YouTube. I guess this is pretty much a summary. My only issue with this is guys that have steep ingrained like I did . Being so upright like that in the backswing would make me even steeper coming down. I recently learned to load the club in my backswing by rotating more on the way back. This is opposite, but a good read and drills anyway. What works for one chap may not work for another.

Be nice if the book had a video section as well to actually see it in motion

Thanks blue , found this on YouTube. I guess this is pretty much a summary. My only issue with this is guys that have steep ingrained like I did . Being so upright like that in the backswing would make me even steeper coming down. I recently learned to load the club in my backswing by rotating more on the way back. This is opposite, but a good read and drills anyway. What works for one chap may not work for another.

The part that I have a hard time with, By taking the club back very upright, it will reroute itself on the way down. It will find a balance. It doesn't always reroute on plane, it may reroute under or even over the plane. It's really unpredictable for players who can't repeatedly make the same movement

I was interested in this book until I saw this video. Not sure about that backswing. I've been using his backswing technique from Leadbetter Interactive to get me to the top. I was super flat prior to that. I've had good success with that. This A Swing backswing just looks bizarre. Way too upright.

I'm wondering if a person was going to take the time to relearn a major component of his swing, why wouldn't you learn something more "on plane".

Then again, what do I know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The part that I have a hard time with, By taking the club back very upright, it will reroute itself on the way down. It will find a balance. It doesn't always reroute on plane, it may reroute under or even over the plane. It's really unpredictable for players who can't repeatedly make the same movement

I agree. Trying to do the A swing might be good to feel the extremes from OTT to under (similar to Furyk), but ultimately it's probably easier for the average amateur golfer to try and stay on plane.

I really like this drill:

http://video.golfdigest.com/watch/quick-tips-the-flashlight-drill

I agree. Trying to do the A swing might be good to feel the extremes from OTT to under (similar to Furyk), but ultimately it's probably easier for the average amateur golfer to try and stay on plane.

I really like this drill:

http://video.golfdigest.com/watch/quick-tips-the-flashlight-drill

I actually bought a $9 laser pointer, stuck in in the butt end of an old club and use it almost daily to make sure I'm bringing the club back on as good plane. It works wonders.

The swing he's teaching looks very similar to the one Hank Haney tried to teach Barkley, Ray Ramano, Rush, Phelps, and everyone else.

The swing he's teaching looks very similar to the one Hank Haney tried to teach Barkley, Ray Ramano, Rush, Phelps, and everyone else.
It has a lot of similarities. Haney is a big believer in one plane. But when faced with a golfer who cannot stay on that one plane because of engrained muscle memory, he works a similar teaching progression.

I'm with you. I'm not someone who will mess with my swing much but when I do I get lessons

I guess my flatness makes me feel this way, but I hate this swing. too much timing and re-routing for my liking. there's already enough timing in the golf swing. why add more?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been known to fix a few swing here and there

Lead has softened his teachings over the years and what I have seen from this book, I have liked.

Lead has softened his teachings over the years and what I have seen from this book, I have liked.
You forgot the word hundred in between few and swings. :laughing:

What I like about this book and "swing" is the focus on getting a proper pivot. I know that is the issue I have struggled with for years in that I am still fighting the shoulders initiating the downswing. If you can get a proper weight transfer that will fix a lot of problems for most amateur golfers. Separating it from the arm movement is probably a really good thing. Ingrain those moves with the core/legs, then the arms/hands/club are pretty much there for the ride.

Not sure I like the Furyk like rerouting, but I plan to do the coiling/uncoiling drills and see how that goes for me.

I saw the golf digest videos and the A backswing is the one that Rickie Fowler, with Butch, junked.

The downswing appears to be a swing to right field - a good feel for many.

I like the short backswing -- most are too longish. Don't know if I like Led's take on it.

I am fairly skeptical - ever since Led's swing in a barrel had me spinning my hips in the mid-90's, I've avoided him and his swing aids. Sometimes, he comes off as snake oil as in "Wanna' cure all bracelet I can sell you my fellow golfers?" He sells those, too.

Read the book and tried this today at the range and on the course. Accuracy and distance with irons improved when struck well but couldn't hit my driver with this swing at all. Worse than before which is saying a lot. Hopefully some more practice will get me on the right track.

Seemed to no release the driver head well with this swing. Any ideas why from a method standpoint?

Very true and you do a great job. I'm just one of those guys who needs to be put into the positions and have someone say "hey dummy that's wrong, this is where you need to be". I read your tips a lot but reading just isn't my way of learning a physical movement like the golf swing or snowboarding.

My thoughts exactly when I watched this. The main reason I stick to single axis, start on the same plane that you will end up on at impact anyway. I.e. club inline with your right forearm.

A good example of what I'm talking about when i mention starting on the same plane as you will be at anyway. They call it "single plane" instead of "single axis", which is more correct, for legal reasons.

Back