DFW & Surrounding Area Chat Thread

I play there a lot, how did you like it?
Great course - it was my 3rd or 4th time there. Never disappoints.
Had about 4 or 5 pars, so it was a good day haha

I like the White and Blue course.

Canyon Springs...from tips that thing is 80.4/144 that is the highest slope and rating I have ever seen...
That is for the ladies. 74.1/139 for the men.

Great course - it was my 3rd or 4th time there. Never disappoints.
Had about 4 or 5 pars, so it was a good day haha

I like the White and Blue course.
The Red/Blue is my fav. I live far north, Prosper Area, but a lot of guys from my work play every sat morning

Playing Irving Golf Club next Monday 10/02
If you've never played there, it's an interesting course and has some "hidden" history on it too...

Between the 6th and 7th hole, off to the left covered in trees and bushes is a bridge and a 'path/road that was used by Bonnie and Clyde. Do yourself a favor and go check it out...there's a plaque on the bridge with some details too...you might have to crawl over one of the bridge walls to get to it.

EDIT: @Nate had a picture of the plaque, not sure if he still does....

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Walked 18 this morning at Oeste Ranch near Weatherford....first group off, and we did some heavy dew-sweeping. Wow. Course must have watered super-heavy prior night trying to revive the grass. They have the greens in pretty good shape, fairways were good. There are some patches on edges of the greens, looks they are transporting good grass to other spots...but they smartly have pins in other areas not impacted.

If you've never played here, worth a look.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Just committed to play in a tournament Veterans day down in San Antonio area..Canyon Springs...from tips that thing is 80.4/144 that is the highest slope and rating I have ever seen...

really excited to play fall golf!!!

installing the new shafts in next couple days...the new UST Dart V Concepts...excited!!!! should be done and ready for weekend trip we are doing to Orlando...
I played it about 9 years ago and it was a pretty fun course. I played with a couple of pilots from the AF base who were good guys. I wouldn't mind getting back down there to play it sometime.

Oak Hollow, the McKinney municipal course, re-opens on September 30th after extensive renovations. All 18 greens were replaced, some being enlarged by as much as 30%. The chipping green has also been replaced. Tee boxes have been worked on, leveled and expanded, and a new forward tee box added on the 5th hole. We are anxious to see if any other improvements have been made to the course, The fairways have to be in great shape having no traffic for four months!

How does it look?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How does it (Oak Hollow) look?

The tee boxes have been expanded and are really nice. The collars around the greens are exceptional to chip and putt from. The greens are in pretty good shape. There are a few spots on a few greens where the grass needs to still grow in a bit. I do wish they had a roller for the greens. They didn't before, and I don't think they put that in the budget. That would benefit the greens even more. Since the fairways were not driven on for four months, those, too, are in good shape. There seems to be less of the "worm castings" in the fairways than we have seen in the past. Some of the ruts off the fairways have been filled in as well. Overall, I'd say it is much improved and is still the greatest value in the area despite the increased price of membership.

The tee boxes have been expanded and are really nice. The collars around the greens are exceptional to chip and putt from. The greens are in pretty good shape. There are a few spots on a few greens where the grass needs to still grow in a bit. I do wish they had a roller for the greens. They didn't before, and I don't think they put that in the budget. That would benefit the greens even more. Since the fairways were not driven on for four months, those, too, are in good shape. There seems to be less of the "worm castings" in the fairways than we have seen in the past. Some of the ruts off the fairways have been filled in as well. Overall, I'd say it is much improved and is still the greatest value in the area despite the increased price of membership.

Nice to see a course in the area get renovated. I'm over in Flower Mound, but play a lot with guys from other in the Allen/McKinney area. There don't see to be a lot of great options out that way. It seems like a lot of public courses have good locations, but just aren't getting the TLC they need - Twin Creeks, Ridgeview Ranch, Watters Creek, etc.

Nice to see a course in the area get renovated. I'm over in Flower Mound, but play a lot with guys from other in the Allen/McKinney area. There don't see to be a lot of great options out that way. It seems like a lot of public courses have good locations, but just aren't getting the TLC they need - Twin Creeks, Ridgeview Ranch, Watters Creek, etc.
We played Ridgeview twice per week while Oak Hollow was closed. Initially, the greens were pretty bad from having been treated for the incursion of poa annua. They improved quite a bit over the course of the summer. Westridge used to be in pretty good shape when we belonged there, until they jacked their membership rates up a ridiculous amount. Twin Creeks I never cared for, and I haven't played Watters Creek in a while. For two years we joined and played at The Bridges up in Gunter. That course is always in great shape, especially the greens. If it weren't for the cost and the 32-mile drive each way, we probably would prefer that course over any other.

Go try Pecan Hollow. It was in pretty good shape and the greens are money! I was shocked how good of shape it was in considering the last time I played there it was a goat ranch but that was also 1998.

I am curious as to how Ridgeview will become now that CBIGG has sold their portfolio. The deal is supposed to close in December.

Go try Pecan Hollow. It was in pretty good shape and the greens are money! I was shocked how good of shape it was in considering the last time I played there it was a goat ranch but that was also 1998.

I am curious as to how Ridgeview will become now that CBIGG has sold their portfolio. The deal is supposed to close in December.

I love Pecan Hollow! I've played it 6 times this year. It's been in great shape the last few years. Their calling card had been some of the quickest smoothest pub links green in DFW. The green fees are fantastic. You have to book early and prepay, but it was a go to for the guys I played with a lot of times this summer. The only downside is pace of play can get bad. They REALLY need 9 or 10 minute tee times.

That's interesting about Ridgeview Ranch. It has potential....it just needs a little TLC.

I sure hope that deal closes.

I am curious as to how Ridgeview will become now that CBIGG has sold their portfolio.
They are just a management company, aren't they? Who are they selling to? Is that known at this point? I am pretty pleased with what they have done at Oak Hollow and even with the increase in annual membership cost when mine expires, it is still a great deal. However, if Ridgeview offered a reasonably priced membership, I would consider joining there. We enjoyed the experience there during the 4 months Oak Hollow was closed.

Going to be in Ft. Worth next Wednesday through Sunday for the Navy. Bringing clubs as well. Don't have flights yet, but should soon. Waiting on big Navy to finish approving my orders. YES THEY ARE SLOW! lol

They are just a management company, aren't they? Who are they selling to? Is that known at this point? I am pretty pleased with what they have done at Oak Hollow and even with the increase in annual membership cost when mine expires, it is still a great deal. However, if Ridgeview offered a reasonably priced membership, I would consider joining there. We enjoyed the experience there during the 4 months Oak Hollow was closed.
CBIGG is owned by CBONS. I'm not positive on if CBIGG actually owns the courses or CBONS does. CBIGG is basically the son's company that dad is letting him run under his. Personally I can't wait for the sale. I've heard of 3-4 potential buyers but believe a couple backed out. The front runners I've heard should be a major step up though. I just hope they do their homework and don't over pay though. Several of the clubs I know of need a substantial capital investment to do course/clubhouse renovations to undo the damage that CBIGG has done over the year and get membership back to where to clubs should be.

Any THPers up for grabbing a bite next weekend?

Anyone interested in playing Water Chase w/ me on Wednesday, the 25th? Have a tee time for 11:15

CBIGG is owned by CBONS. I'm not positive on if CBIGG actually owns the courses or CBONS does. CBIGG is basically the son's company that dad is letting him run under his. Personally I can't wait for the sale. I've heard of 3-4 potential buyers but believe a couple backed out. The front runners I've heard should be a major step up though. I just hope they do their homework and don't over pay though. Several of the clubs I know of need a substantial capital investment to do course/clubhouse renovations to undo the damage that CBIGG has done over the year and get membership back to where to clubs should be.

Correct. CBIGG doesn’t own Ridgeview but managed it. It is sold and is supposed to close in December. But the new company is keeping management on for at least a year.

Anyone interested in playing Water Chase w/ me on Wednesday, the 25th? Have a tee time for 11:15

LOVE that track. Unfortunately I'm out of town this week for work....

Enjoy!

Back