Direct to Consumer Clubs

I think it can, but it’s much less difficult if the product is available at major fitting centers. There are so many challenges though- creating buzz, then maintaining it while the product gets off the ground, getting reviews. It’s not a particularly easy industry to break into.

To be successful you better have a product that really differentiates itself, either by looks or performance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DTC is tricky for a lot of things, golf clubs especially so. I like to hold a club in my ha da before buying, of course about 80% of my bag I either won or bought blind, and that’s by far the better part of my bag so....maybe I should just stoop swinging clubs before buying them.

If the question is framed up as; would you buy clubs from a brand you haven't tried with DTC prices? My answer is no. I find myself moving toward brands with excellent services like fitting and customization. I'll pay more for clubs with this service. This selection criteria narrows the list to five or six big names. It's a bummer because I like small/startup companies.

I think it depends. DTC can (and does) work but it depends on the golfer. For me, after my experience last year with my Titleist fitting I'm hesitant to purchase anything without a proper fitting. It made a world of difference with my ball flight and dispersion. I'd be worried about getting clubs that would not work for my swing.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

An interesting side note to many that talk about the death of the brick and mortar. PGA Super Store is going through expansion after stellar numbers. Worldwide (Edwin Watts, RD, Vans, etc) had an incredible year last year again. I think its been overblown a bit since the downturn a decade ago in golf by big box stores that made major inventory mistakes. Between those two (which are major chains) and the growth of fitting centers, retail for golf is not dying as quickly as many might think.

An interesting side note to many that talk about the death of the brick and mortar. PGA Super Store is going through expansion after stellar numbers. Worldwide (Edwin Watts, RD, Vans, etc) had an incredible year last year again. I think its been overblown a bit since the downturn a decade ago in golf by big box stores that made major inventory mistakes. Between those two (which are major chains) and the growth of fitting centers, retail for golf is not dying as quickly as many might think.

I wish PGA SS would come here. The two local chains are absolutely terrible. Golf could be so much bigger here (it already is pretty crazy in the summer) but that store is hard to beat for finding a club that works.

It always seems people just love to talk, and assume, doom and gloom. But, the numbers show otherwise.

It always seems people just love to talk, and assume, doom and gloom. But, the numbers show otherwise.

During the past 5 years the Palm Springs to Indio , Coachella Valley region, went from having 8 free standing golf retail stores to 3. That's not "talk" or "assumptions" , it's reality.

Once a company goes DTC, there's very little chance (almost zero) that they can also get into a big box store except maybe for 2nd Swing or Global Golf where they also sell used clubs however, that would be a far stretch. Most club companies sell to the consumer directly, at list prices, but not at the discounts that a distributor would get. Demographics would play a small role but it's not something that would tend to get the club manufacturers excited about going DTC.

But are their numbers up because they all got a chunk of Golfsmith's sales?

Also, most of the big box sporting good stores have dramatically reduced their golf displays which probably moved numbers to the remaining golf only stores.

Completely agree with this. An acquittance in the Seattle, who works in the tech industry, just invested in a golf boutique that sells fitting, club building, lessons, and indoor practice time. He's a savvy guy who sees the benefit of tech but understands the importance of a human connection for high-touch clients.

During the past 5 years the Palm Springs to Indio , Coachella Valley region, went from having 8 free standing golf retail stores to 3. That's not "talk" or "assumptions" , it's reality.

That is a small sample and in an area where green grass numbers actually grew. During that same period of time, PGA Super Store announced another huge expansion (with large amounts still coming as they take on ToysRUs shells) and World Wide continues acquisition and fitting studios like Club Champion continue to climb.

But its interesting as I was just in that area and visited more than just 3 stores. While you may be speaking of small mom and pop stores, the Palm Desert area has a number of retail club shopping available.

But are their numbers up because they all got a chunk of Golfsmith's sales?

Also, most of the big box sporting good stores have dramatically reduced their golf displays which probably moved numbers to the remaining golf only stores.

That had more impact the year prior. Sports Authority had some impact, but it was more about readjustment of industry. If it were merely Golfsmith numbers, expansion would not be taking place by most. Online isn't going away (and will climb), but club sales are fine and the readjustment as a whole has had such a positive impact on the entire industry.

B&M had to readjust their business or they were/are going to be left behind. Really no different than any other consumer goods space.

JB
could it also be concluded that these two major retailers are doing well because a lot of smaller mom and pop stores are shuttered and that golfers want more choice than offered at Dicks, GG and Academy Sports.
i advocate the DTC idea mainly because it’s getting harder to find clubs and we don’t have either of those big retail stores in our area

JB
could it also be concluded that these two major retailers are doing well because a lot of smaller mom and pop stores are shuttered and that golfers want more choice than offered at Dicks, GG and Academy Sports.
i advocate the DTC idea mainly because it’s getting harder to find clubs and we don’t have either of those big retail stores in our area

Absolutely. An entire readjustment of industry has and will continue to take place. Consumers want more, better access, etc. The places that adjust will continue to be okay and the places that cannot, will sadly go away. Very similar to just about every other luxury item.

That is a small sample and in an area where green grass numbers actually grew. During that same period of time, PGA Super Store announced another huge expansion (with large amounts still coming as they take on ToysRUs shells) and World Wide continues acquisition and fitting studios like Club Champion continue to climb.

But its interesting as I was just in that area and visited more than just 3 stores. While you may be speaking of small mom and pop stores, the Palm Desert area has a number of retail club shopping available.

That had more impact the year prior. Sports Authority had some impact, but it was more about readjustment of industry. If it were merely Golfsmith numbers, expansion would not be taking place by most. Online isn't going away (and will climb), but club sales are fine and the readjustment as a whole has had such a positive impact on the entire industry.

B&M had to readjust their business or they were/are going to be left behind. Really no different than any other consumer goods space.

The only Coachella Valley golf retail stores I know of are Roger Dunn (Indio) , Pete Carlson's (Palm Desert), PGA Superstore (Rancho Mirage).
Five years ago Lumpy's had three area stores, Roger Dunn had a store in Cathedral City, and Rancho Mirage had a Golfsmith Superstore . But these 5 stores have all closed within the past 5 years.

The only Coachella Valley golf retail stores I know of are Roger Dunn (Indio) , Pete Carlson's (Palm Desert), PGA Superstore (Rancho Mirage).
Five years ago Lumpy's had three area stores, Roger Dunn had a store in Cathedral City, and Rancho Mirage had a Golfsmith Superstore . But these 5 stores have all closed within the past 5 years.

Plus fitting centers, like Marc's Fitting. As said, you must adjust your idea of selling clubs or get lost in the shuffle. Lumpys failed to do that and in 2016, had to close.
Also as said, its a small sample of what the country has seen with the rise of sales both hard goods and soft goods, rounds up and Dicks movement in the space.

Golf B&M is not going away anytime soon, although not really the point of this thread.

I look at a lot of DTC brands today the same way I look at a lot of "start up" companies. Build a quality product that is different and cost effective in an effort to be licensed or purchased outright by an OEM. Now, I know this doesn't hold true to brands like Bridgestone and Hogan, but I am skeptical about others.

With that out of the way I feel that the DTC model, at the moment, really only succeeds by targeting two very different demographics:

•The "this club will make me play better golf" crowd (This is where I see brands like BombTech and My Bobby Jones)
•The "I know what I like and can make a club work for me, so I'll give it a try" crowd (Think Hogan)

What I don't see is any support for the HUGE demo in between those two: The semi-serious golfer. In my opinion, this demographic is where the big box retailers make their money. And as other posts have suggested, there is a lot of money to be made.

In order for the DTC model to work moving forward, there will be need to be a catalyst that propels the "semi-serious" golfer in the direction of the DTC companies clubs. Without a lot of thought and research, I don't know what that catalyst can be. Internet/TV/Print ads only get you so far, as you leave out the ability to see and test the product first hand - and even more importantly - compare it to others (which is a massive advantage of a big box store or a fitter.)

So what can make consumers move in the right direction?

Perhaps it's word of mouth. People talking about DTC clubs right here on THP, etc. Look at what this concept did for Kirkland golf balls. They may not be the best ball in the world, but I don't think anyone would have given them a second glance if a small handful of people didn't begin comparing them to a Pro V1. But with that you have to remember: Sometimes hype sticks, and sometimes it doesn't. It can very easily go the other way.

I look at a lot of DTC brands today the same way I look at a lot of "start up" companies. Build a quality product that is different and cost effective in an effort to be licensed or purchased outright by an OEM. Now, I know this doesn't hold true to brands like Bridgestone and Hogan, but I am skeptical about others.

With that out of the way I feel that the DTC model, at the moment, really only succeeds by targeting two very different demographics:

•The "this club will make me play better golf" crowd (This is where I see brands like BombTech and My Bobby Jones)
•The "I know what I like and can make a club work for me, so I'll give it a try" crowd (Think Hogan)

What I don't see is any support for the HUGE demo in between those two: The semi-serious golfer. In my opinion, this demographic is where the big box retailers make their money. And as other posts have suggested, there is a lot of money to be made.

In order for the DTC model to work moving forward, there will be need to be a catalyst that propels the "semi-serious" golfer in the direction of the DTC companies clubs. Without a lot of thought and research, I don't know what that catalyst can be. Internet/TV/Print ads only get you so far, as you leave out the ability to see and test the product first hand - and even more importantly - compare it to others (which is a massive advantage of a big box store or a fitter.)

So what can make consumers move in the right direction?

Perhaps it's word of mouth. People talking about DTC clubs right here on THP, etc. Look at what this concept did for Kirkland golf balls. They may not be the best ball in the world, but I don't think anyone would have given them a second glance if a small handful of people didn't begin comparing them to a Pro V1. But with that you have to remember: Sometimes hype sticks, and sometimes it doesn't. It can very easily go the other way.

As far as I know, major brand names such as Callaway, Cleveland, Cobra, Bridgestone already operate their own websites which sell directly to the consumer (DTC).

I’ll take anything because our box stores in Boston are horrendous... Golfers Warehouse is boring, we lost Golfsnith, Golf Galaxy went away. It’s just Dicks and jacked up pricing at Pro Shops.

Absolutely. An entire readjustment of industry has and will continue to take place. Consumers want more, better access, etc. The places that adjust will continue to be okay and the places that cannot, will sadly go away. Very similar to just about every other luxury item.
In a lot of DTC sectors you see a reduction because they get rid of the middle man price. Can’t say I see that in the golf model on any companies site.

I'm not sure I see your point. I didn't suggest otherwise.

The OP seems to separate DTC brands from other brands. At least that's the way I read the original post.
To me your post reads similar to the OP, that is separating DTC brands from other brands.
But if most of the major brands already offer direct-to-consumer websites, then what's the difference ?
My expectation is that within 5 years time most all third party brick and mortar store fronts will be closed. The costs to operate a store, combined with a lack of golf play participation, makes it a struggle to avoid financial losses. It's true that wide spread store closings in recent years may have helped the traffic to the stores still open for business, but lack of players starting the game or playing often enough is an overwhelming problem for third party golf retail stores.
I think some well financed equipment brands, such Titleist-Callaway-Ping etc... may open up some boutique style store fronts, in large golf population areas, where consumers can see the brand's entire product line together within one space. And I expect the well financed brands may offer some sort of "mobile retail store", where a truck with inventory and a sales staff visits a golf course property to sell that brand's products.

The OP seems to separate DTC brands from other brands. At least that's the way I read the original post.
To me your post reads similar to the OP, that is separating DTC brands from other brands.
But if most of the major brands already offer direct-to-consumer websites, then what's the difference ?
My expectation is that within 5 years time most all third party brick and mortar store fronts will be closed. The costs to operate a store, combined with a lack of golf play participation, makes it a struggle to avoid financial losses. It's true that wide spread store closings in recent years may have helped the traffic to the stores still open for business, but lack of players starting the game or playing often enough is an overwhelming problem for third party golf retail stores.
I think some well financed equipment brands, such Titleist-Callaway-Ping etc... may open up some boutique style store fronts, in large golf population areas, where consumers can see the brand's entire product line together within one space. And I expect the well financed brands may offer some sort of "mobile retail store", where a truck with inventory and a sales staff visits a golf course property to sell that brand's products.

As the OP the reason for separation is because this thread was not about buying online vs buying in a store.

It is discussing brands that cannot be Tested before purchase and how they are viewed and can they be successful.

And I will bet the house against all 3rd party B&M stores closing with in 5 years. Heck I will bet more than the house if allowed. Hey @jdax get me a marker.

Direct to Consumer Clubs

As the OP the reason for separation is because this thread was not about buying online vs buying in a store.

It is discussing brands that cannot be Tested before purchase and how they are viewed and can they be successful.

And I will bet the house against all 3rd party B&M stores closing with in 5 years. Heck I will bet more than the house if allowed. Hey @jdax get me a marker.

I’m not sure if you would be able to get action on the bet you want to make.... Who buys new clubs without hitting them first? Answer: No one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

O.K. I now understand that your post/question is mostly about brands that can be tested versus not tested.
My own experience includes not getting much (or any) practical benefit to striking shots off mats into a net at a golf store, so I typically buy without "testing".

Back