Distance between feet.

BROCK

Hackshack
Reaction score
Handicap
I was curious if anyone knows how far apart their feet are when teeing off or just hitting shots in general? Inside to inside. I know we all come in all shapes, styles and swing thoughts but wondered how much this varies.

The last time I played I narrowed my stance and bent over a little more and seem to be able to make a better move to the ball. I don't feel as constrained. Maybe I had a wider stance than I thought. Dunno, we'll see how it goes next time but it is something that I'm conscious of now.

I used to be way too wide after years of playing baseball. I would say my feet are around 12" apart right now. It has helped me with my rotation for sure

The rule of thumb is shoulder width a part and in the balls of your feet. Too narrow or too wide will effect your weight distribution.

Shoulder width apart on full iron shots & a bit wider with the driver.

Just give it alittle Tapatalk

I place my feet hip width apart. I used to place them shoulder width but took some lessons with an instructor that explained to me that it is easier to be balanced with your feet placed right in line with your hips. My shoulders are wider than my hips and that little bit of extra width in my stance was restricting my rotation.

It might sound crazy, but narrowing my stance has been the single greatest change I have made to my golf swing. I get my weight through the ball just so much better now.

Great topic, I sometimes feel like I'm too wide and end up with a off balance all arms swing

wow look mike finally got tapatalk

The rule of thumb is shoulder width a part and in the balls of your feet. Too narrow or too wide will effect your weight distribution.

yeah this is the best advice, from my experience, having it too wide caused me to slide and not really transfer my weight properly

I have a narrow stance. I'd say hip width for irons, shoulder width for woods.

Hip to slightly wider than shoulder width, depending on club. First thing I alter if I'm hitting inconsistently is narrow my stance. Feet together simplifies so much even if it's not permanent.

I place my feet hip width apart. I used to place them shoulder width but took some lessons with an instructor that explained to me that it is easier to be balanced with your feet placed right in line with your hips. My shoulders are wider than my hips and that little bit of extra width in my stance was restricting my rotation.

It might sound crazy, but narrowing my stance has been the single greatest change I have made to my golf swing. I get my weight through the ball just so much better now.

This sounds like me but I think the biggest thing for me is that I think I was standing to upright too.

Dean, that is how I felt on my swing too! It feels a little more free flowing but I'm gonna have to confirm that a few times.

And I know I do the "slide" that's been previously mentioned, I don't feel myself doing it but the video doesn't lie

Canadan loves my signature and chutting

driver- inside of feet are in line with outside of shoulders
wood/hybo's- middle of feet are in line with outside of shoulders
irons- outside of feet are in line with outside of shoulders
pitch/chips- 3/4 width of full iron stance
putts- maybe 1 foot apart.

driver- inside of feet are in line with outside of shoulders
wood/hybo's- middle of feet are in line with outside of shoulders
irons- outside of feet are in line with outside of shoulders
pitch/chips- 3/4 width of full iron stance
putts- maybe 1 foot apart.

Not a bad starting point. I would say it is different for everyone. My teaching pro got me to stand further from the ball and flare my feet more, but was happy with shoulder distance with all my clubs.

Have also narrowed my stance from some Freddy advice and liking that, helps with my rotation. Have to be careful about getting too much now. I also started to move the ball closer this week. Good results, but think I was too far to begin with. Can't forget the "don't have to go down" from Nate and shallowing my attack angle (Had to be there). All in all some big changes over the past week.

LtEvO TaPpEd

Yep, wide stance is a problem I used to have and still have to remember to check from time to time. If you get your feet too wide, your hips can't turn in a tight circle, and you'll tend to slide your hips back rather than turning them.

The whole golf depends on you body style. If you had 5" to 10" distance between your feet than you play a best shoot....
any more suggestion.....
smsf super

Last edited:
Back