Distance Measuring Devices

I use a Bushnell laser rangefinder. It's the Tour V3 I think (whichever one came in the Patriot pack). I had never used one before this year and I have to say that it's made a huge improvement in my game. I know there is a whole different thread debating the merits of a rangefinder, but suffice it to say that I'm mediocre at estimating distances and am not willing to dramatically slow the pace of play by walking everything off, so I will not be playing without a rangefinder in the future if I can avoid it.

I always used a GPS prior to getting my rangefinder. Have only played 1 round since getting the rangefinder and I definitely noticed my game is improving. My old rangefinder only gave me distance to the front/center/back of the green. I was too cheap to buy a better one that gave more of the course layout. Picked up the rangefinder in a trade and now I can tell the distance to hazards, or get a rough estimate to a layup area. Definitely makes club selection a bit easier.

I use a Bushnell Neo X watch.

I use both a GPS and range finder. I still use the range finder, but find myself relying on the GPS more as I'm not good enough to hit exact yardages and it's more about what the better miss is for me.

Don't know much about measuring devices which is the best rangefinder and GPS watch to buy. I want to pick one of each up real soon!!

Before #TheKing, I had no desire to get a laser rangefinder. I have used the Callaway Upro devices in the past. Sometimes I would not remember to charge them and I was S.O.L. for my round.

EVERYONE and I mean EVERYONE at #TheKing had one. I was fortunate enough to play with my "Asian brother from another mother", Kang and I enjoyed not having to find yardage markers and walk off distances. Price was another factor since I like using the latest and greatest. Through a price match and Raise.Com, I was able to get a Bushnell Tour X for right ~$365. I'm glad I did.

Garmin Approach G6 and a Laser Link. I use the Garmin much more than the Laser Link.

Bushnell Tour V2 laser
Bushnell Neo XS watch

I don't use one. I can usually figure out roughly how far out I am using yardage markers, sprinkler heads, or some other reference point. My yard ages with each club aren't consistent enough to really require precision measurements.

That's what I tell myself anyway (and it's mostly true). The bigger truth is that I'm just too cheap. Heck, I spotted a club I've been wanting for quite a while on sale for half off today ($50) and didn't buy it. I have a really hard time spending money on equipment.

I kept waiting for the prices to come down (they didn't really), then I stopped playing for a while and now I'm looking for a new gig. My next big purchas(es) will be a bag turnover. I'm playing some pretty old equipment and daddy needs some new toys!

I started using the swing by swing app on my phone, its been pretty accurate. Seems like whenever I play with people someone has a gps watch, range finder or another gps phone app. I think I would prefer a range finder but for a few bucks a year I cannot complain about swing by swing.

I WON'T play without a laser rangefinder.... cart GPS is only an added bonus for me.

I've always used a Bushnell of some sort but looked thru a new Leupold GX-4i2 at PGA store and liked the layout of the sights better. Heard SO many great aspects of their customer service that I am really tempted.

-David

Last edited:
Simple question. Do you use one? If not, why have you stayed away?

I use a skycaddie SG5 and a Bushnell 1600 concurrently. Sad thing is, I don't have the game to truly take advantage of the accuracy that the laser can give me. Still, it's a good way to gauge distances for the clubs I use.

I have never used a rangefinder, however lately I have been looking at the Bushnell Tour V3, the Golf Buddy LR4 and the Nikon Coolshot.
I have used a couple of GPS apps such as swing by swing on my phone.

Currently have a Bushnell 1600 rangefinder, a Bushnell Neo XS watch, and a Callaway uPro. I always use the rangefinder and use the Neo XS on unfamiliar courses in case of blind shots. I liked the uPro, but support is no longer available.

Having one eye means I need all the distance judgment help I can get so I have both laser and GPS.

Back