DJ Says No to 2021 Olympics

There should be a rule. You can play in the Olympics, but you have to stay in the village for 2 weeks (which I would personally love). I wonder how many golfers would show up then LOL.

I don't get why they would want to skip this. I think the guys that have chosen to miss this will regret later in life.

Why is there is so much contempt for even the idea of golf being in the Olympics? Is theresomething I'm missing?

It seems strange to me, but there must be a reason for it? It's like if you told a bunch of hockey fans that hockey was coming to the Olympics, they would be elated. I get the vibe that so-called golf fans feel revulsion with even the idea of it being an Olympics event.

I don't understand.
Pssst....hockey is an Olympic sport. Winter Olympic games. ;) The 1980 "Miracle on Ice" win over the Soviet Union in the Olympics was kind of a big deal.

miracle.jpeg

With that said, I get why some of the athletes are reluctant to attend - for sports that are "major" sports outside of the Olympics (hockey, basketball, and yes, even golf), the scheduling is often problematic because it falls in the middle of their seasons and creates issues for both them and their teams/leagues. I mean, a swimmer, weight lifter, track and field athlete, curler, luge racer, etc. don't have to worry about it affecting their teams, seasons, contracts/earnings, etc. - the Olympics are the biggest thing they train and plan for, it's the summit of their sports and they'll get more exposure there than anywhere else in the world. Exposure means recognition, which means product endorsements, which means money. Pro athletes in "big" sports already have all that exposure and they're already making money from endorsements and their pro contracts, so that aspect of it isn't as big a draw for them.

On the flip side, I think it's an honor to represent your country in the Olympics, and it would be hard to pass up that opportunity if it presented itself (at least for me). But patriotism isn't as strong as it used to be either, which is a whole separate rabbit hole that would open some conversations we don't want to have here - and probably has at least something to do with the lack of enthusiasm.

I am in the Mecca of American hockey. I am well aware that it's an Olympic sport. Was sort of just using it as an example.

It is strange that NBA players who are paid more than anyone always go to the Olympics with their "Dream Teams".

I believe baseball was amateur-only (not sure if it still is).

Every time I see this topic hit the main board I get a little bummed..

Back