Do I have any recourse here??

I am fascinated as to why so many support the idea of not returning to the OEM. Even if the club was broken when it was sold, the type of damage caused is well within the reasoning to replace based on normal usage (and frankly is becoming all too common nowadays anyways).

What difference does it make whether he gets his money back from the seller, who in turn receives the club and returns it for a replacement only to re-sell? Why burden an honest seller for a mistake that very well could have been the OP's?

As someone who has cracked the face on 3 different Callaway fairway woods in the last few years, I couldn't agree more. Callaway customer service is outstanding and like any great company, they expect to have some warranty replacements.

I am fascinated as to why so many support the idea of not returning to the OEM. Even if the club was broken when it was sold, the type of damage caused is well within the reasoning to replace based on normal usage (and frankly is becoming all too common nowadays anyways).

What difference does it make whether he gets his money back from the seller, who in turn receives the club and returns it for a replacement only to re-sell? Why burden an honest seller for a mistake that very well could have been the OP's?
IMO it is because the OEM warranted the product to its purchaser not everyone for eternity that places hands on it. The current owner - and therefore the OEM - has no idea how it was used, and therefore if the warranty is still valid.

As someone who has cracked the face on 3 different Callaway fairway woods in the last few years, I couldn't agree more. Callaway customer service is outstanding and like any great company, they expect to have some warranty replacements.

While my confidence in Callaway is unwavered, my comments were more about why the OP needed to bring the seller back into it. He absolutely cannot prove that the damage done wasn't by him, or by the shipping (more unlikely). So now a seller with 100% feedback has to get put into a moral dilemma just to get the club back and do the same thing this OP would do with Callaway. Why not just cut out the middle man and see what happens?

IMO it is because the OEM warranted the product to its purchaser not everyone for eternity that places hands on it. The current owner - and therefore the OEM - has no idea how it was used, and therefore if the warranty is still valid.

Based on a number of experiences on THP, that's simply not true.

Some companies stand behind their product beyond the original seller and Callaway has been no exception from what we've read. Why not start there? I would imagine it's incredibly easy for a company to determine whether a club has been mistreated or the product malfunctioned.

Based on a number of experiences on THP, that's simply not true.

Some companies stand behind their product beyond the original seller and Callaway has been no exception from what we've read. Why not start there? I would imagine it's incredibly easy for a company to determine whether a club has been mistreated or the product malfunctioned.

they might (and should) stand behind their product, but they have no obligation in this case to do so

doesn't hurt to ask though

You probably have no recourse through the seller but Callaway is great with their warranty. I’ve cracked 3 Callaway fairway woods in the last 3 years and they replaced all of them, no receipt was required.

I agree. No returns, means I guess no returns. See what Callaway will do for ya.

I personally have had a warranty experience with a cracked 3 wood from Taylormade. They replaced it no questions asked, but it was purchased new from Global Golf. I’m not saying Callaway won’t replace it, but I think you need to go through the steps of trying to go through the seller first since it was obviously damaged.

I could see where it would be tempting to go straight to Callaway first as a warranty issue because there is a good chance you are going to get a new club for what you paid for the used one vs sending it back to the seller and getting a different used club. To each his own though.

Last edited:

I think it's dependent on what the person wants and what process they follow. Do they just want a refund or do they want the club but just without a crack in it (assuming there's no more DBD on hand, a newer model would be given for warranty)?

Personally, I would see what the seller is willing to do before going to Callaway, but they would absolutely be getting a call too. Some would argue to go Callaway first, then the seller as you could get a newer club as a replacement and get better value as opposed to the seller doing that.

I also wonder if it was a different companies driver, say Taylormade or Cobra or Ping, if people would have the same recourse.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Bummer on the cracked club. I bet if you talked with Callaway and told them the truth of your story they might still help you. This kind of stuff scares me away from buying on eBay or other auction sites.

this

work with seller first. If he is unwilling to refund you and what not you either file with Paypal or email Callaway and tell them the truth. They may be able to help you out.

If all else fails, my advice on buying used clubs on ebay.... especially if you're going with callaway or other big name brand, go to callaway pre owned. They have an ebay store which has really good prices.

I dont know if this has been asked, but if you can personally see the fracture yourself, can you see the fracture in the EBAY pics? Usually a great golf club seller takes a lot of pics, including the face of the club. That would give you more leg to stand on.

I've had 2 Callaway drivers crack and knew the instant it happened. Sound and substantial loss of distance. Both heads were replaced by Callaway. One was purchased new, other came from CPO. You would hope seller didn't knowingly sell a damaged club.

I personally have had a warranty experience with a cracked 3 wood from Taylormade. They replaced it no questions asked, but it was purchased new from Global Golf. I’m not saying Callaway won’t replace it, but I think you need to go through the steps of trying to go through the seller first since it was obviously damaged.

Based on what the OP said, I don't think this is obvious at all. Certainly not guaranteed. It takes one swing for a club to crack, regardless of how many times the club had been hit previously.

I think it's dependent on what the person wants and what process they follow. Do they just want a refund or do they want the club but just without a crack in it (assuming there's no more DBD on hand, a newer model would be given for warranty)?

Personally, I would see what the seller is willing to do before going to Callaway, but they would absolutely be getting a call too. Some would argue to go Callaway first, then the seller as you could get a newer club as a replacement and get better value as opposed to the seller doing that.

I also wonder if it was a different companies driver, say Taylormade or Cobra or Ping, if people would have the same recourse.

Lots of points made here, and fair ones. I don't know the sellers situation here, but let's say he's an individual seller who is just getting rid of last years gamer. Does the same attitude apply to GlobalGolf on eBay vs Joe Golfer who sells only his equipment? In this case, I guess I made the mistake of assuming the seller was someone like us, which sucks royally for him (assuming he was honest in his sale and I refuse to assume otherwise).

Your final comment is a very curious one. I think Cally is tops right now with that in mind, but I would be surprised to see many of the other companies not do the same. Who knows though.

Your final comment is a very curious one. I think Cally is tops right now with that in mind, but I would be surprised to see many of the other companies not do the same. Who knows though.
I understand the comment. In my experience Ping is very tight with warranty claims, maybe enough so to say they are trying to avoid claims if possible. In my experience Cobra is extremely fair, maybe a touch toward generous to consumers. Don't know about TM. Callaway goes above and beyond. So much so that I wonder if the astute consumer (I'm not saying anything about anyone in this thread) takes advantage of the system.

i know we will agree to disagree on this one, Dan. If someone buys a used dishwasher and it doesn't work right nobody immmediately thinks of going to the OEM to get a warranty replacement. I don't understand why it should happen with a golf club. Just because an OEM is wiling to bend over backwards doesn't necessarily make it right to me. But as I said, agree to disagree.

It's amazing to me that some golf OEMs honor warranty after a second sale.
Everybody wants to save a few bucks and buy from eBay, but everybody wants all the perks of paying full retail too...and they get it.

I understand the comment. In my experience Ping is very tight with warranty claims, maybe enough so to say they are trying to avoid claims if possible. In my experience Cobra is extremely fair, maybe a touch toward generous to consumers. Don't know about TM. Callaway goes above and beyond. So much so that I wonder if the astute consumer (I'm not saying anything about anyone in this thread) takes advantage of the system.

i know we will agree to disagree on this one, Dan. If someone buys a used dishwasher and it doesn't work right nobody immmediately thinks of going to the OEM to get a warranty replacement. I don't understand why it should happen with a golf club. Just because an OEM is wiling to bend over backwards doesn't necessarily make it right to me. But as I said, agree to disagree.

In most comments here, the suggestion was to send it back to the seller so the seller could reach out to a club company. This, to me, wasn't about whether the company would honor a warranty claim, but more about burdening an eBay seller (i was foolish enough to assume the seller was not a larger seller, just a regular Joe) for something that COULD have been the fault of the OP. That gray area does not sit well for me, like buying the used dishwasher and hearing a pop during install, only to find it not working. If you buy a used car and hit a pot hole on the way home resulting in a tire losing air, is it the fault of the seller?

It's amazing to me that some golf OEMs honor warranty after a second sale.
Everybody wants to save a few bucks and buy from eBay, but everybody wants all the perks of paying full retail too...and they get it.

This amazes me as well, but often times a precedent gets set. We've seen a lot of great stories here on THP from OEM support, and honestly it drives me towards those companies (so in a way it's working out well for them).

Based on what the OP said, I don't think this is obvious at all. Certainly not guaranteed. It takes one swing for a club to crack, regardless of how many times the club had been hit previously.

He stated that he was getting very inconsistent ball flight, sound etc. from the first few balls he hit so I would say that the club was damaged. No guarantee, but all of the evidence says to me it was damaged before he hit the first ball.

He stated that he was getting very inconsistent ball flight, sound etc. from the first few balls he hit so I would say that the club was damaged. No guarantee, but all of the evidence says to me it was damaged before he hit the first ball.

Edit: could have been damaged in the mail or maybe the seller dropped it as they were packing it up. Who knows. I feel like the seller should at least be made aware of the damage wether they were aware or not.

Hope you get it worked out. That’s all that matters.

Yep, and I think it's a fair assumption, I just don't think it's absolute. Having caved a head or two in my day, the sound and results aren't really always a gradual thing on cracks. Kind of just happens.

I wonder if the OP could share the eBay listing with us as well? We're going off a lot of assumptions.

Yep, and I think it's a fair assumption, I just don't think it's absolute. Having caved a head or two in my day, the sound and results aren't really always a gradual thing on cracks. Kind of just happens.

I wonder if the OP could share the eBay listing with us as well? We're going off a lot of assumptions.

I’d like to take a look at it.

Back