Do looks matter? Would you play ugly clubs?

Which ugly clubs could you play?

• Driver

Votes: 17 25.8%
  • Fairways

Votes: 18 27.3%
  • Hybrids

Votes: 20 30.3%
  • Irons

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • Wedges

Votes: 14 21.2%
  • Putter

Votes: 19 28.8%
  • No ugly clubs!

Votes: 35 53.0%

• Total voters
I'm about to put this to the test. I have a set of the limited black T200s that I am going to put in the bag on a trial basis tomorrow. They've been sitting in my office for a couple of months, and I couldn't bring myself to tale take them out of the box on account of their ugliness.

I expect a huge departure from the 921 Tours I've been playing, but I'm not sure I can expect them to blow me away enough to justify the look.

I've only just started buying clubs and the look is very important.

As long as they were playable to my talent level, I wouldn't care what they looked like.

The only thing that can be considered ugly in golf, is that last number on one's score card.

I have posted some ugly golf scores during my life time.

It's amazing how nice a club can look when you can hit great shots with it. Although, I voted 'no ulgly clubs'. When I look down at a pretty club it makes me feel good, probably creating a better opportunity for a good shot.

Does an ugly color or design on the sole of a driver qualify? If you can’t see it when playing the club and you hit it well, does it matter? For me, usually not. See the ugly a** orange on the Mavrik.

FTR, even if if I could afford the Majesty clubs, and even if I hit them 100 times better than any other club, I’m not playing them. Too gauche, garish, ugly.

I feel like a blunt instrument! I have played the same the same irons for a decade and hadn’t tested any until last month. They were certainly different at address, but I didn’t have a particularly strong feeling about a thin top line or offset or anything really.

Does an ugly color or design on the sole of a driver qualify? If you can’t see it when playing the club and you hit it well, does it matter? For me, usually not. See the ugly a** orange on the Mavrik.

FTR, even if if I could afford the Majesty clubs, and even if I hit them 100 times better than any other club, I’m not playing them. Too gauche, garish, ugly.
How dare you?! Orange is beautiful!! 😍

I agree though, I don’t see why anyone cares about how the sole of a driver looks.

No ugly clubs. Although I lack in playing ability I can at least look like I can play. They may not be the latest, greatest in new technology but to look nice.

I will play ugly clubs AND date ugly girls.

For the longest time after I bought my Ping Eye2 irons, I would read how "ugly" they were. They were always referred to as "shovels." I think they have withstood the test of time and now are referred to as "classics." I wish I still had them to putz around with.

Yes, if they perform better then other clubs looks don't matter. Now that is not to say I don't like pretty clubs, because I do.

I mean heck no...my clubs need to look purdy!!!
Wait I am did game that first Cure putter before.
View attachment 8988610

I tested these putters. I did not putt demonstrably better with them, but if I had putted better, I would have put one in my bag, even though it reminds me of a middle school shop project gone horribly wrong.

I'd play the ugliest clubs in the world if knew they were a good fit. Most club head designs are nice, some are kind of meh, and the really beautiful clubs I can't hit anyway. I can't think of any recent designs that make me recoil in horror.

Gotta look good when I'm set up with them!

Golf is too mental to try convince myself ugly clubs work :drinks:

I’ll play anything, and I’ll even put iron covers on them too if they’re ugly enough.

As they say. If you aren’t attracted to it at the very least, it won’t last.

I've said in other threads asking the same thing that I wouldn't have a problem playing clubs that didn't suit my eye.

Well, it turns out that I was wrong. I went to my local golf store and took a look at some Tour Edge E521's. I wanted to see if I truly could stand the look of them because I was going to buy them or the C521's. I didn't like the look of the E521... but the C521 was pleasant to me. I want SGI's... these were an option.

I also looked at a Titleist T400 head... that didn't look like a hollow bodied iron. They were gorgeous.

I would up ordering a set of I guess ugly irons because some people find the orange of the Mavrik clubs to be ugly. I disagree so... there you go. I have an ego.

I voted No ugly clubs. I started with hybrids and Fairways but I changed it. In 2021 there is no need to play something ugly. There are good looking clubs at every price point and category.

Irons, wedges, and putter need to look good for me to use them.

Driver/fw/hybrids I can get over almost any look if the performance is there.

I don't want a putter that looks it came from an alien spaceship.

When I bought my irons almost 20 years ago, it came downto the Ping i3+ and the Hogan 1999 Apex. They both played the same, but looks won out.

Last edited:
Back