Do You Have a Regular Group? Give Us a Description, Please.

Do you have a regular group or groups?

• Total voters

bkuehn1952

Making Bogies Since 1960
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
10.4 Index
Over the years I have been part of several groups. Currently I have three buddies and we play every Tuesday. I am the worst/least consistent. We are all over 65. We typically play a game where we each pair up with another member for 6 holes, then swap for the next six. $2 a man, yes big money. We negotiate tees and strokes each time. Fritz, the best/most consistent player was accusing us of conspiring against him because the last several rounds saw him paying each of us $2. ;)

How about everyone else?

It's actually 2 others and I, with a rotating 4th. One guy plays with us on Mondays, another on Wednesdays, and a woman on Fridays.

I mostly play golf with resident physicians, so it’s a different group based on who isn’t working that weekend.

My group is 3 of us. We tend to go together but the 4th in our group changes based on availability. We don't have a steady 4th player, but 3 of us are there most every time.

I have a Sunday group that I got hooked up with by our outside sales guy 3.5 years ago. It has honestly reinvigorated my love of the game and I am actually the head of the group responsible for booking tee times and handling the payouts. We generally have 16-24 guys every Sunday and we rotate courses around the city, but play the most rounds at the course that most of us are members at (public course). We play net and gross skins, CTP, and sixes (every 3 holes is its own mini-tournament). Pretty small stakes ($20/man/week), but a really nice day can get you about $100. Pretty wide range of caps too, from low single digits to around 30. It's a really solid group and I'm extremely thankful that I found them.

I have a few groups that I play with. I'm at a private club so a lot of the guys play in multiple groups so it can be a lot of the same guys. Most people at least know each other from hanging at the club or through MGA tournaments.

One is the DH group (short for D***heads) and they play every Saturday and Sunday as long as there isn't a Tournament or bad weather. It's a fun group and we heckle each other. There's another group that tees off around 3:30-4:30 depending on time of year that I play with occasionally. We also have a standing game on Wednesdays that is 1:00-2:00 depending on time of year and a standing Noon game on Friday. I'll play in these occasionally as well when I'm off work.

I also run a $15 game on Thursday nights at 5:30 from April to October while we have daylight. I switch the format up each week and random draw partners/teams based on A,B,C,D players. I have the most amount of guys from different groups playing in mine which was part of the reason I started it. It gives a chance for guys to play with others that they may not normally.

Most of the groups play a type of skins, trash, nets game with the most you can lose being around $10-$20. The Wednesday and Friday games are similar but are where you can get into the side games like wolf or a dot game.

Last edited:
In my regular group, there are three of us who will play almost every Saturday and Sunday. A fourth is just whoever wants to that weekend and may be different each day.

I play with other people occasionally but those other two are my main playing partners

Wife, kids, in-laws, a few specific friends, my dad and step-mother are the usual group. We shake up pairings on any specific day.

There's three of us who play every Wednesday morning, the 4th guy fluctuates. These two are my brother's college roommates so I've known them since 1979

Whimpley F'er is a 12 handicap
Big Ass is a 14 handicap

College nicknames never fade 😂

Group #1 (all single digit hc who shoot similar scores on average): former NPS law enforcement ranger and handicapped golfer, a chiropractor, and my league partner. A couple others join in and out from this group. Full on golf nuts, and we always play for stakes with ample trash talk. Very high quality people. And, for the record, we tend to play different tees, and it works great. Don't fear to move up tees!

Group #2: art dealer buddy and a mix of other golfers, mostly his wealthy clients. He has a high end private club membership where we occasionally have Sir Nick sightings. These rounds have a very different chemistry and feel. I love my buddy but often feel like a fish out of water. High end ($$$$) types.

Group #3: two local photographers, one a very good and long as heck golfer. Fun guys (lifelong best friends) and my first meaningful regular playing group.

Group #4: I play 3-4 regional PGA section pro-ams each year and end up playing with a similar people over and over. We also end up playing an additional rounds together here and there. Very supportive group of golfers. We all help each other deal with playing competitive golf on away courses. Nearly everyone involved also plays in the course championship and state mid and/or senior amateurs. I learn a lot with this group.

We have a group of about 30 on the weekend. We have two guys who make the pairings. I just need to let them know what day(s) I want to play. All that is required is that I respond to an email. It is a good system for me as I get to play with many different guys during the season.

There are 3 of us who play most every weekend contingent upon the weather. None of us are devout enough golfers to get us out of our weather comfort zone.

One of the guys is my former doctor. He retired from, and sold, his practice in favor of the 8-5 no more than 23 patients a day gig at the University health service. The other is the husband of my wife's best friend. He is retired.

Most Saturdays 2 others and I with a sometimes fourth. Once a month, with my brother and a friend and a fourth to be named. Most sundays a twosome with a friend, with and occasional 3rd/4th.

I roll up solo and play with whoever.

Some of the time I'll still play with the same people because we're members and just happen to get the same tee time.

yea we have about 5-6 guys who get together during the week for group play - quite a diverse group can be interesting .. we got a very devote Democrat that is against everyone else in our group- gun control often topic. - then we have a stout Trump Supporter who wont believe anything bad about Donald - says Jan6 insurrection did not happen - it is all lies. then we have a few moderates that say the govt is all screwed up no matter who is in charge. Anther guy needs medication and still ends up talking a minimum of 17,000 word per 18 holes. never shuts up and make no sense and does not talk in complete sentences - often repeats himself. And then we have two of us to join in the conversation just to stir the pot a bit and keep it fun. in the end we have a putt game going for $1 each ... we all love and enjoy each other but poke fun when necessary,,:love:

I have a 3 groups I play with, different people and different times.

My regular 4-some is every Sunday morning, walking 18 at our home course we are members at.

The other 2 are whenever we can get together and play and whatever course is on the agenda.

Its almost always my son in law and grandson. Sometimes its just two of us and we join another twosome. But I haven't gone solo in quite a while.

Much of my 2022 play was within a larger skins group. There are @80 of us but about half rarely sign up. We have the option to sign up for every Tue, Thu, & Sat and probably average 20+ golfers a day. At least double for special events, and less if weather is crappy. Our 'leader' emails an online signup form each week and it's all automated from there. Software assigns groups, teams, game$, and course HCs, based upon who signs up. We play often at our home course but usually have 5 or so 'road course' options each month. Covid interrupted some things but we're trying to get back to some golf getaways too. We're finalizing a trip to Phoenix in a couple months and have started to coordinate a Hots Sprigs Village road trip for fall 2023.
Real good group, supposedly been active for 25 years. I got to meet our founder at our group Christmas luncheon last week. He's 96 and hasn't been active in the couple years I've been a member but I do get paired with one of his grandsons from time to time. Learned at the luncheon he won our HIO pot at 92.

Last edited:
I wish. Don't have anyone around here i can play with regularly.

I have a regular group of about 5-6 guys at my home course where we have a text group and try to get together at least once a week.

We have our usual 5 some on League nights.

We’ve got me, token Lefty
@MattyD-MPLS Gripper and ripper with calves for days
BC9er or Mr Waggles as has to get comfortable before take off with waggles
JC not to be confused with JC but this Dad of BC doesn’t let age stop him as he still slaps it around with the best of us
We added Derek last year and he’s got sweet flow and a tendency to decel at putting

It’s a fun group and can’t wait for 2023 when we add another or two and have to rotate groups

Back