Do you know....when you're slow?

I feel like it's really difficult to play super slow if you're a really good player. Even if you average 2 minutes a stroke, if you take less than 80 of them, you're still gonna be in around 3 hours.

not sure if you were going for it...but you did give me a good laugh. Thank you.

And yes, there are a handful of good players who play quick...but on average the ones I have seen are on average towards the slower side.

I hate slow play but my biggest course pet peeve is slow, bad players.

It’s ok to be bad. I’m bad. But if you’re going to play bad, play bad fast. You still have plenty of time to practice before you’re invited on Tour. This round isn’t your moment.

Sunday morning round - a treat as i have limited my weekend golf to rare occasions.... got behind a group at 9am with 5 walkers.... played incredibly slow.... Found out that tee time at that course is always available because every sunday the 5 walkers have that 9am tee time. Forget that nonsense and shame on the course for letting it happen. the group behind us kept jawing ... boy did i want to start something, but they were elders and figured i will be the bigger person and keep quiet...

To answer the threads... nobody knows they are playing slow unless someone tells them they are slow

I was placed with a twosome and one of the players was very SLOW. And this guy knew he was slow ... because his buddy informed him of that fact at every tee box.

"Come on man, it's going to be dark in 5 hours."
"Wow, dude, that's 3 minutes of our lives we'll never get back."

The jabbering was hilarious. Almost made it worth it. Yet still the guy would take a crazy amount of time to prep before he shanked the drive.

I was placed with a twosome and one of the players was very SLOW. And this guy knew he was slow ... because his buddy informed him of that fact at every tee box.

"Come on man, it's going to be dark in 5 hours."
"Wow, dude, that's 3 minutes of our lives we'll never get back."

The jabbering was hilarious. Almost made it worth it. Yet still the guy would take a crazy amount of time to prep before he shanked the drive.
You'd think a guy would get the hint at some point.

Sunday morning round - a treat as i have limited my weekend golf to rare occasions.... got behind a group at 9am with 5 walkers.... played incredibly slow.... Found out that tee time at that course is always available because every sunday the 5 walkers have that 9am tee time. Forget that nonsense and shame on the course for letting it happen. the group behind us kept jawing ... boy did i want to start something, but they were elders and figured i will be the bigger person and keep quiet...

To answer the threads... nobody knows they are playing slow unless someone tells them they are slow
Calling all Marshalls...

My comment when playing with a slow player sometimes is you could have missed that shot a lot faster than that. I like the comment 4.5 hours to play, after that you’re done. When we’ve gotten behind a gro up that is 2 holes behind, all we can do is call the pro shop and hope they will come out and say something.

I am not a grip it and rip it player, but I can play 18 solo in 2.5 hours walking and under 2 hours in a cart.

Honestly, if not a tournament warranting my keeping his score, and falling considerably behind?

I'd have absolutely zero issue in, while he's measuring blades of grass on the green, heading to the next tee, teeing off, and playing my ball while leaving him in the dust as I'm off on my merry way.

Such flagrant abusers perpetrate their act with complete disregard for others. I'd have no problem disregarding him and moving along.

Obviously that's on the players for being so slow, but the course absolutely bears responsibility too if it's a well-known fact and they aren't doing anything about it. By letting them get away with it, the course is sending a clear message that they don't care about pace of play.

It would be interesting to see a poll and see how many here think that they may be slow sometimes and how many will fess up to being slow.
My take is that if you think you might be slow “sometimes” with certain situations, you are who everyone is talking about but can’t be honest enough with yourself to admit it. You are the problem, people don’t like play behind you or likely with you and you may or may not know it.

if you are not sure, we’ll guess what, it’s probably the same as above.
People create all sorts of excuses why they are not the problem meanwhile there is a hole open ahead of them. If you don’t know of are not sure, it’s very likely that it’s you.

At my course new players/public are told before they tee off of the course limits (4:15 max). If they lose sight of group behind, they are slow and need to catch up. The course monitors all the GBS carts and on a master screen shows of they are starting to get behind (orange) or behind (red).

In either case, the Pro Shop sends messages to all of the screens in the carts in the slow groups telling them to pick it up. If they get red a Marshall will tell them first time to pick it up and second time, to pick up their balls and move ahead. If walkers, that are slow they can tell if they are slow and get a visit on the course.

It seems to have gotten better but we have one golfer in our regular groups that needs to be reminded every once in awhile (painfully slow re-shot routine).

I believe most know they are slow if they are reminded before the round of how to know if they are slow but some don’t give a sheet about others, st times. It is up to the course to monitor. If they don’t we have in the past made a call to get them (Pro Shop) to take a ride. Luckily the course does care and monitor to the 4:15 time, worse case.

It would be interesting to see a poll and see how many here think that they may be slow sometimes and how many will fess up to being slow.
My take is that if you think you might be slow “sometimes” with certain situations, you are who everyone is talking about but can’t be honest enough with yourself to admit it. You are the problem, people don’t like play behind you or likely with you and you may or may not know it.

if you are not sure, we’ll guess what, it’s probably the same as above.
People create all sorts of excuses why they are not the problem meanwhile there is a hole open ahead of them. If you don’t know of are not sure, it’s very likely that it’s you.
Or it could be that most folks here know exactly how fast or slow they are. Golf forums are probably not a fair representation of the golfing public.

There are likely folks on this forum who would make all of us who feel we are fast feel slow. These are golfers we’d have zero chance of keeping up with. What do you suppose they’re thinking when playing behind us?

Anymore, when playing behind a slow group I just hang back because the group behind me is probably just as slow and won’t catch up.

Slow play is a reality and there’s little that can be done to change it.

Yesterday I played with the guy with the worst reputation for slow play in my club. He's a similar handicap to me so we often get paired during big events and I dread seeing his name. He's a real grinder: five warmup swings every shot, triple reads every putt, resets if a butterfly farts; always 90 seconds, has hit 2 minutes on some shots.
After the round, the head pro even joked, "Did you get slow-played today?" We finished 3 holes behind. Ugh.

So, does he know?

I (and others) have done the non-verbal stuff: pushing the carts ahead of him, walking off greens when he re-reads a 5' putt for the third time, and commenting on how we've fallen behind. No effect.

Do you know when you're slow?
He should - I definitely have an internal clock and a rust watch to tell me exactly how long a round takes

Yesterday I played with the guy with the worst reputation for slow play in my club. He's a similar handicap to me so we often get paired during big events and I dread seeing his name. He's a real grinder: five warmup swings every shot, triple reads every putt, resets if a butterfly farts; always 90 seconds, has hit 2 minutes on some shots.
After the round, the head pro even joked, "Did you get slow-played today?" We finished 3 holes behind. Ugh.

So, does he know?

I (and others) have done the non-verbal stuff: pushing the carts ahead of him, walking off greens when he re-reads a 5' putt for the third time, and commenting on how we've fallen behind. No effect.

Do you know when you're slow?
Man, I hate these people. They’re so damn selfish and have no idea there are other people in the world!!!

Last weekend we had NCAA tournament out at my home course. I sent this text to a friend:

Screenshot 2023-10-03 at 8.16.58 AM.png

This was the slowest play I've ever encountered. It was torture. These kids were beyond 'deliberate'. Very long preshot routines for each person in the foursome directly in front of me and there were 5-6 groups of 4 in front of us.

Everyone needs to play with @JB at least once, then you will know if you're slow. :ROFLMAO:

Everyone needs to play with @JB at least once, then you will know if you're slow. :ROFLMAO:
That was exactly who I was thinking of in my post. Never seen him play but his speed is legendary. Lol.
I don’t think they define the average ready golfer as slow, but knowing there are those who play really fast should make us reconsider describing our play as fast.
It’s kind of relative. Compared to the average golfer on a public course I’m fast. Compared to others I have to run to keep up.

Obviously that's on the players for being so slow, but the course absolutely bears responsibility too if it's a well-known fact and they aren't doing anything about it. By letting them get away with it, the course is sending a clear message that they don't care about pace of play.
That group has a standing tee time there. Play bad fast.

it's fine it was a one and done there after that. course was meh and not all that exciting or phenomenal to put up. Would have been a 3 hour round for us if not waiting every hole on front 1-9... we flew on back and even got held up on last three by a group attempting to play as a 6 some, but kepty cool there too.

that is another example of course not giving an efff

People have complained about me playing "too fast"! Getting to the green while they are still in the fairway or heading off the green while they line-up their 3rd putt. I don't take any practice swings on the tee, fairway or the green. I do stand over the ball longer than most golfers as I try to relax my hands & arms before pulling the trigger.

I have often been asked by a couple of local courses to play with first-time beginners. I always tell them on the 1st tee, "There are only two rules for today: Have fun and keep up with the group ahead of you. If you do that, no one cares how many strokes you took or how you played, and golf is meant to be fun."

I don't know that I have ever been a part of a foursome where I have been the slowest of the group (in a negative way).

I'm incredibly guilty of heckling my playing partners for slow play.

I don't try to jump spots in a line.
I don't park crowding the lines marking a parking space, much less sit on them.
I don't use my phone in a movie theater.
I don't play golf slowly.

See, not being a d#$% isn't difficult.

I don't know that I have ever been a part of a foursome where I have been the slowest of the group (in a negative way).

I'm incredibly guilty of heckling my playing partners for slow play.
I had to be the jerk in the group a few weeks back to tell everyone to hustle. I hate the dead stares from dudes on the tee box when a playing partner is so slow.

I imagine that most people that are slow know they are. There are some that have no clue and even this their pace of play is perfectly acceptable or even "fast"; I know a few. As far as pace of play there are different standards for sure. I learned the game at an R&A club where less than 4 hours was the standard. For that reason when I play now it seems slow getting around in 4:15, if you wait on a group in front for most shots. I see the point of speed demons that think they should be let through our fast threesome: but my answer to that is if several groups in front are also being held up then ....NO. In this regard the state of Washington is interesting. People tend to walk and hike very fast but when they get on a golf course their pace slows to a crawl rivaling the speed of a glacier (yeah I know it's an exaggeration and maybe a mixed metaphor). On the other hand the poor single that raced through the first 9 in 45 minutes will generally wait patiently on every shot like all the rest of us.

I’ve found that most are simply not aware of their pace and how they use their time. I played with a client and we had a group two holes behind us yell from their green at us that we were holding up play. The one guy in our group asked “are we behind?” Meanwhile we have two holes open in front of us.

Back