Do You Know Your Angle Of Attack?

The last time I had mine checked it was around +1 to +2 with the driver. I have no clue on the irons though

the last flightscope numbers i have don't show aoa. last year before i made some swing changes that have dramatically improved my driving, it was +3.4.

I reviewed my Trackman numbers from the UST Event in March and they were +3.3, +2.4, +6.8, +2.5, +3.4, +1.6, and +0.9. Those are the last numbers I have recorded, but I've been working lately on moving the ball back in my stance a little bit and teeing a little lower so I could be +0 to +2 now.

Having the ball too far forward makes it easy for me to spin out and cut across the ball so I don't typically get the distance gains possible from teeing the ball high and forward.

I have no idea what mine is.

I honestly have no idea what mine is.

Ya it's not good with my driver...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With my driver I know it's in the negatives which can be a bad thing for me. For my irons I would have to get back on the monitor for that.

Can someone explain angle of attack?

It's the angle your club is coming into the ball at impact. Negative numbers mean you're hitting down on the ball often causing more backspin and less carry distance. Positive numbers mean you're hitting up on the ball causing less backspin and move carry for a short version.

I have no idea but based on my spin number with my driver I would assume I am negative. I am usually somewhere in mid to high 3k spin with the driver, way to much. I am leaving yards on the table I believe.

Last edited:
the only thing I know is that it is inconsistent

Yeah last time I had my swing analyzed I was at about 3º up for the driver and 1-2º down on the 6 iron. They were previously higher, I had to put in some work to get those down.

The AOA is one of the most influential parts of the golf swing to determine where the ball will go and how far.
In general terms it is the direction the club head is moving when it makes impact with the golf ball. So when you are hitting a ball off the ground with your irons, negative AOA can lead to ball first contact. When hitting a ball off a tee, positive AOA is preferred to maximize distance.

Hope this helps.

Look up. :D

I haven't the slightest clue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

great discussion, I am planning on doing a full fitting late this year, early 2016. I know in my lessons earlier this year that was one of the things I was focusing on as I was way to steep (negative angle of attack).

I know when I am swinging well it is closer to 0 as see reduced spin and get some roll on the ball.

I don't know mine. I looked at it on a monitor before but haven't in a while. I have more of a steep approach with my short irons and wedges than I do with my longer irons and fairway woods but I can't say what those numbers are. My driver had a positive approach last time I check and I've really worked on it this year.

The way I swing a driver I'm sure it's at least -5,can't hit up with a driver to save my life

I have no idea what mine is. That being said, how can I find out without a Trackman? Does the Swingbyte 2.0 give this information? Basically I have no idea where to go or how to obtain it either, but certainly am interested.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

It's a sneak attack, even to myself on most swings.

I have no idea what mine is. That being said, how can I find out without a Trackman? Does the Swingbyte 2.0 give this information? Basically I have no idea where to go or how to obtain it either, but certainly am interested.

The Swingbyte software does measure angle of attack. I know some of their numbers are different from Trackman's/FlightScope's and require conversion. I'm not sure of AOA is one of those that require conversion though.

ETA: From the swingbyte website blog:

http://blog.swingbyte.com/post/93342853292/swingbyte-spotlight-attack-angle

[FONT=helveticaneuelt_stdbold]Note:[/FONT] Trackman and other radar-based systems (RBS) use a point or points forward of impact to determine Attack Angle. Swingbyte uses the point of impact and one millisecond before impact. Therefore, Attack Angle is not an apples-to-apples comparison between technologies and will typically be a minute or so [FONT=helveticaneuelt_stdbold]steeper[/FONT] on Swingbyte than RBS (1 minute = 6 degrees ).

I have no idea what it is or what mine is.

The AOA is one of the most influential parts of the golf swing to determine where the ball will go and how far.
In general terms it is the direction the club head is moving when it makes impact with the golf ball. So when you are hitting a ball off the ground with your irons, negative AOA can lead to ball first contact. When hitting a ball off a tee, positive AOA is preferred to maximize distance.

Hope this helps.

I have no idea what it is or what mine is.

Here ya go Drew. Look up.

Generally yes, but it varies from swing to swing.

The Swingbyte software does measure angle of attack. I know some of their numbers are different from Trackman's/FlightScope's and require conversion. I'm not sure of AOA is one of those that require conversion though.

ETA: From the swingbyte website blog:

http://blog.swingbyte.com/post/93342853292/swingbyte-spotlight-attack-angle

[FONT=helveticaneuelt_stdbold]Note:[/FONT] Trackman and other radar-based systems (RBS) use a point or points forward of impact to determine Attack Angle. Swingbyte uses the point of impact and one millisecond before impact. Therefore, Attack Angle is not an apples-to-apples comparison between technologies and will typically be a minute or so [FONT=helveticaneuelt_stdbold]steeper[/FONT] on Swingbyte than RBS (1 minute = 6 degrees ).

Thanks!

Back