Do you older golfers practice increasing swing speed, or simply let it ride?

Luchnia

You will never conquer golf.
Reaction score
Handicap
Not sure what qualifies as an older golfer, but I am guessing probably over 60? I don't know, but as the title states, do you older golfers practice increasing swing speed or simply let it ride. Is swing speed something you never really bother with because you are just steady Eddy on the course and are more focused on other aspects of your game? The thing is with swing speed comes distance, yet one needs accuracy.

I am 65 and I do practice increasing my swing speed. I have actually increased it quite a bit by doing a few things such as SwingRite, fiberglass landscape markers, exercising more effort through the ball, etc. I was hitting around mid-80s most of last year with my driver, but later in the year I started to practice increasing my swing speed and have seen results. Now I am high 80s and even mid to high 90s at times depending on how well my body is working that day.

The fastest I have ever gotten on simulator or swing caddie is 104 which I was simply swinging outta my shoes to get that. The thing is now, I can swing high 80s low 90s with fairly good balance. It just took some practice doing a few things. I also found that if I focus my speed/velocity through the ball those become my strongest drives. I believe I can reach mid 90s this year and probably stabilize there. That may be pushing it, but it is a goal as long as my body does not reject that. I tend to not go further than my body warns me to go.

It is not so much at all about the back swing for me that really affects my swing speed - not sure why so many instructors are sold on this back swing thing. Most instruction on back swing has not benefited my swing speed. Different strokes for different folks (pun intended) :cool:

What say ye?

Created home made speed sticks.....But that is band aid....Fatboyslim needs to get in better shape....Ha

I'm 59 this year and have seen my swing speed decline from 103 to mid 90's the last 3-4 years. Started implementing a stretching, resistance bands, orange whip regimen to get my flexibility back. Getting older is no fun but if I gotta go, I'm going down swinging! (pun intended)

Great question. Mine is around 92 and I just turned 63 on Monday. I do work out like crazy but will use Orange Whip more once the garage warms up a bit.
I also used audiable traing aid that was popular a few years back. Still have the thing in my golf bag. I waa swinging quicker and I think faster. Ball sure went further.

I’m “only” 54 so maybe I’m too young qualify as older,lol. I’ll fight hard to keep it over 100 mph as well but have conceded that the days of 110 mph plus are gone. One great thing that comes after retirement is you have the time to exercise daily and practice more if you are so inclined. I’ve only failed to close my move and exercise goals on my watch once in the last 3 months.

I also don’t feel guilty anymore playing up at 6400-6600 yards and for those tees, 250 yard drives are plenty long enough to keep my index near scratch.

Increasing my swing speed is always a good thing. I have actually started to work on increasing my swing speed for the last 7 years. Mainly because after I turned 50 yo 7 1/2 years ago I had noticed that my swing speed had significantly begun to slow down.

As we age exercises to increase our swing speed actually have two benefits. One it can actually safely increase the swing speed for anyone, and at any age up until 75 I suppose. Secondly it's the only way to also not only increase your swing speed but also maintain the Swing speed that you currently have. Which was the main reason why I started working on speed.

A good program to follow is the one recommended by Super Speed Golf.

Screenshot_20200129-050537_Chrome.jpg

They not only make the weighted clubs, they also have a program for you to follow that you can use for free even if you don't have the Sticks. It's listed everywhere online and YouTube.

There are also lots of YouTube videos on using your legs and not your arms or back to generate speed in your swing. It's called using ground forces.

For me not only did my swing speed increase from low 90 with my driver at full tilt to over 115 nice and relaxed. But it now allows me to swing at 100 to 110 in a easy Fairway Finding way.

George Gankas has alot of free YouTube videos on body rotation and leg work that are incredibly easy to follow and will surely help.

So while I was young my swing was armsy and inefficient, now it is safer and faster.

They only way to fight father time is with intelligent workouts.

Most players complain about losing speed with age. But I can honestly say that my swing is easier on my body now and at least 15 mph faster at 57 than it was at 50. Phil Mickelson is obviously doing the same and is now swing his driver faster and longer than ever before. And he was already a long ball hitter through out his career.

So yes I believe that we should definitely work on increasing our swing speed. To avoid injury. To increase our speed which equals Distance. But most importantly to keep from losing what ever Driver Club Head Speed we already have. And this additional swing speed will allow you to enjoy the game for a longer period of your life.

I am currently hitting on average the longest drives of my life. With 50 percent less effort. And finding More Fairways. :drinks:

I have noticed since my distance has declined, I've become better with strategy, short game and ball striking so there's that....
I think I enjoy the game more now than I ever have.

Created home made speed sticks.....But that is band aid....Fatboyslim needs to get in better shape....Ha
How did you make the sticks if you don't mind me asking? I've been looking at these, and quite enjoy a project...

Interesting question. But I don’t believe there is a one size fits all answer here. I’m 64 and yes I do swing slower than I did 10 years ago. I always attempt to flush it, not kill it. I try to mitigate my loss of speed with a more efficient swing. Ive maintained a 1.48-1.50 smash factor to maximize my distance potential. And yes, my ss is mid to upper 80s.
I play a senior scramble on Wednesday’s where we have 60-120 golfers 50+. In every age decade there are guys that belie their age. Guys in their 60s crushing it 270+. Guys in their 70s pumping it out there 250 yards. Of course just like any age group, the other end of the spectrum as well.
I guess at our age, we’ve learned to listen a little more about what our bodies will and won’t let us do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oops. NOT a one size fit all.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I almost fit your definition of “old,” since I turned 59 in December. I am noticing that if I don’t focusing on maintaining my swing speed, my body wants to swing slower, but when I am exercising and work on it with golf clubs and practice aids, I have not lost any speed in the last four years. In fact, I am probably a bit faster than I was almost four years ago, when I began playing golf again after seven years away from the game.

I know I will never be able to swing again like I could when I was in my 30’s and had club speed of close to 110 with a driver, but I will work hard to maintain what I have for as long as I can. Thank heavens, the technological advancements in equipment have helped make up the difference and I am hitting the ball every bit as far now as I ever have.

I'm still in my early 50's but I tried swing speed last year and it started messing with my swing. I will just go with what I have, (95-98 ) right now and just move up once I need to.

Just turned 55 and have been doing some stuff recently to try to increase strength and swing speed. The problem for me is I have seen my overall ball striking take a sharp decline since I have been doing these things so not sure how long I will keep them up. Not sure whether it is a coincidence or if I have just developed some bad habits that are causing the decline. The pure strikes with the driver do seem a little longer but the pure strikes have also become less frequent. To this point, flexibility has never been an issue for me.

Just turned 55 and have been doing some stuff recently to try to increase strength and swing speed. The problem for me is I have seen my overall ball striking take a sharp decline since I have been doing these things so not sure how long I will keep them up. Not sure whether it is a coincidence or if I have just developed some bad habits that are causing the decline. The pure strikes with the driver do seem a little longer but the pure strikes have also become less frequent. To this point, flexibility has never been an issue for me.

I had the same thing happen. I was using some speed sticks and in trying so hard to build speed, I lost the feeling of where my hands needed to be at impact and found myself lost and frustrated with a long period of heel strikes and even the dreaded sh__ks. I figured it out after almost a year of struggles, but you raise a really good point and it is a cautionary tale.

I have no idea what my swing speed is now at age 67 nor what it was when I played in my teens and 20's. I don't have an aggressive swing like Jason Day but I am able to generate a lot of speed at impact; more due to good timing and being long-limbed at 6' 2". My best drives now carry about 280 but normally about 270. I had to really pound one for that result in my 20's.

I have no idea what my swing speed is now at age 67 nor what it was when I played in my teens and 20's. I don't have an aggressive swing like Jason Day but I am able to generate a lot of speed at impact; more due to good timing and being long-limbed at 6' 2". My best drives now carry about 280 but normally about 270. I had to really pound one for that result in my 20's.

I am still waiting to grow a couple of inches. :ROFLMAO:

Well, thankfully my swing speed doesn't match my age. After my CC fitting back in December I was still at 84 mph. One thing I would be happy about was if my golf score matched my age of 67. :)
Oh, I usually just let it ride, to me it is what it is. :drinks:

Last edited:
How did you make the sticks if you don't mind me asking? I've been looking at these, and quite enjoy a project...
Here are the overall specs. for the speed sticks. Once you establish grip and shaft wt. deduct from overall weight and it will give you the approximate head weight needed for each stick. You can buy lead rod 5/8-3/4 on line and calculate the length to cut to match the head weight needed. The length of the head weights will vary, but that is a variable you can adjust with a little time and imagination.
    • Green club weighs 255 grams
    • Blue club weighs 290 grams
    • Red club weighs 335 grams
  • All clubs are 45" in length

Here are the overall specs. for the speed sticks. Once you establish grip and shaft wt. deduct from overall weight and it will give you the approximate head weight needed for each stick. You can buy lead rod 5/8-3/4 on line and calculate the length to cut to match the head weight needed. The length of the head weights will vary, but that is a variable you can adjust with a little time and imagination.
    • Green club weighs 255 grams
    • Blue club weighs 290 grams
    • Red club weighs 335 grams
  • All clubs are 45" in length
Perfect, thank you very much!

from mytpi - http://www.mytpi.com/articles/fitne...d_drops_with_age_and_what_you_can_do_about_it

I lost a bunch of swing speed last year, so, I am working to regain some. But, the key is ball speed, so, some days I work on swing speed, and, other days, I work on hitting it with middle of the club face. ( hitting with the hosel is not conducive to increasing your swing speed, but, that was a swing issue - hopefully resolved)

Bottom line - if you don't work on it, you will lose it.

I'm approaching 60 but I'm not old. That said, I'm not one who focuses on swing speed or trying to maintain or increase it. I focus on flexibility and conditioning. I want to be able to swing more than I care about what my swing speed is.

I guess at 72 I would qualify as an "older golfer". Keep in mind those of us at or near this age started playing the game when you couldn't afford to swing out of your shoes and generate maximum club head speed. The priority was hitting the ball "on the screws" with the woods and on the sweet spot with the irons which were pretty much blades. Plus, add in the use of high spinning and curving balata balls to the equation!

Has my swing slowed down? I am sure it has but I really don't see a dramatic loss of distance with woods or irons swinging the club with the same purpose I have always had (solid contact) as improvements in the equipment have offset loss of distance due to loss of swing speed. I would I like more swing speed and greater distance? O f course but I am not willing to sacrifice anything to get there.

Can't speak for all the older golfers, but for me, regular practice, and play is just a way to help maintain what I already have.

As we get older, we slow down. Some slow down quicker than others. By consistent practice, and play I can slow down the deterioration in my long game swing.

I have lost some swing speed, but I have also picked up more accuracy off the tee, and approach shots. I don't have to search for balls much any more after an errant shot. That said, I'd rather have the lost distance back.

Back