Do you play within your abilities?

JoeyJoeJo

Reaction score
Maybe more for the higher h'cappers but I was watching a senior group in front of me the other day and got me to thinking, these kind of guys (not just seniors or guys) are not playing stellar golf shots but they are scoring remarkably well because they play absolutely within their abilities.

They are quite happy to do 180 drive -> 150 3w ->chip/pitch to 16/20 feet -> putt.
On par 3s, they're not taking 9's to the pin, they're happy to hit a low, three quarter 5i and watch it land 30yd in front and run up.
A 5 foot deep bunker with the pin 2yds on, they're coming out sideways, bump and run, putt.

I know I'm guilty of overstretching my imagination round the green, taking on shots that Phil or Tiger would find challenging.

So how often do you guys play like you're on the back 9 on sunday afternoon in a major and one off the lead?
Going for the (in reality, outrageous) carry or corner cut, or the high tariff lob (that in reality you can pull off maybe twice in fifty shots)...?

I do tend to play within myself unless I am striking the ball really well - I call it playing sensible, which seems to have helped drop my scores to a consistent mid 80s at the moment, so hopefully if I can play more regularly I should be able to drop that even further

I know what you mean though - a friend of mine was not a long hitter (roughly 220yds with his driver) by any means but his handicap was down to about 5 as he was VERY consistent, especially off the tee....he would find the fairway almost every time which made a big difference compared to those of us that would be all over the place having to play second shots from the rough and this is what really made me think about how I played the game and course management

It wasn't that long ago that I used to have the mentality that if the pin was more than 240 away, I must therefore need to hit the longest club possible for the lie that I had for the given shot. I play to score now, even conceding before some holes that bogey is just fine. 17 and 18 at my home course, some days if I'm just not feeling confident with driver/3W, I'll go 6I, 9I, W or something like that and at worst have a long par putt. Those two holes are just long par 4s, very tight, and typically upwind, with trouble all over the place. Same with par 5s, there's only one hole where I hit driver, and that's because it's so wide open and it's the longest on the course so playing "safe" doesn't always get me to the green in 4. Other 5s I'm usually going 5H or even 5I/6I and then adjusting accordingly.

And there is one par3 that's pretty long with bunkers left and right that I'll play short on, unless it's a back left pin, in which case you have to try to get up on the green otherwise you're pitching over a bunker to a 5x5 landing area or putting around it!

I've seen a bunch of the old guys at our club who score amazingly well, using their heads more than what power they have left. Don't get me wrong, we have a few seniors who can pound it out there 100 plus yards (not kidding at all - ask KellyBo) past my best drive. What pisses me off is they are ten years older than me :angry:. Anyways all of the old guys I play with, plot their way around the course and it's cool watching them use wisdom over power.

Lately I have really been trying to only play shots that I know I can execute, as opposed to going for a dot of a green from 250 with trees, water, and sand in the way. I struggle with certain clubs from certain lies too so I'm learning to back off and play a higher percentage shot.
The biggest difference however is from the tee. It's tough but I'm learning that "the big dog doesn't always need to eat". Buying and using a rangefinder has helped immensely because now I can see that the tree through the fairway is "243 Yards" away instead of "Meh, that tree is 255 at least!" and then blasting it into the crap.

we had some threads on this in the past and one was about being humble or being the hero. In the end it is usually being humble which makes you the hero and the better scorer.

many people will argue that one must take chances in order to improve. That comes with the though of how are you supose to get better if you dont take the shots? I say there will alwys be just enough lower risk situations where such shots can be taken in order to satisfy that question without doing it all the time and constantly ruining a round or a hole.

I belive its called managing ones game. Playing to ones stregnths and not ones weeknesses. Do i have to take a long iron or faiway wood and go for a green in a situation that has very little forgiveness and offers alot of bad trouble for the misshit? No I dont. But if it allows a more open and more forgiving atmosphere then ok, I will try.

From the tee, do I have to cut the corner over or around the big trees or woodline or lake whatever? To only end up in big trouble most the time? I am long enough and can do it but have no reason to risk it for the small ratio of success. Either way i still have an aproach shot. Sure, with the lay-up I may end up with 150 yrd aproach instead of a 50 yrd one but the odds of blowing the 150 yrd aproach are very much smaller at screwing up vs the amount of times the hero corner cut would work. in fact not even close.

I've learned to play within my means and stay humble and the game is more enjoyable that way also. Sure its great feeling for the moment that you pull off the high risk shot. But its also just as great when you are sucessful and played it smart. It also takes courage to do that as well. To fight the urge to be the hero but still be successful can make you feel pretty darn good and proud too. And in the end will lower your score more times vs the other way especially for us mid, high cappers and weekend hackers.

And since us hackers can be all over the place often enough, we will often be presented to be staring at such shots more than enough times where sometimes the better situation will arise allowing us to take the similar shots with just enough less risk involved to keep us practicing them and satisfy our urges to try it. Once consistant enough and bit better at them, then the more of them i would try with a little more risk and hopefully keep slowly climbing that ladder but if it never happens so be it, i'll stay within my means. And be proud of myself that i did.

I try to play smart. But if the round is crap, then I'll start trying things to try to save it. More often that not, it makes it worse!

I am with Smalls. I usually start a round concervative with all intentions to play within myself and play par bogey golf. When that fails the driver comes out more and you try to get closer with pitch shots you dont practice much.

I rarely try to be the hero. I play within myself and try beat the course with good strategic decisions.

This is my biggest downfall on the course. It seems no matter what I tell myself at the beginning of the round, 3 or 4 holes in I'm playing with the mentality "go big or go home." The thing is, I don't realize I'm doing it until the round is almost over. I think back on the last few holes wondering why I'm doing it and I tell myself that I will play smarter the next time.
Rinse, cycle, repeat...

I always was happy to grab my driver and pound away, normally into the other fairway or OB. After watching my boss and playing partner kick my ass with a 220yd tee shot, I spend more time on the putting and chipping green and have seen my HDCP drop. I also grab the 3i when teeing off on Par 4's less than 360 now as well to leave myself a full shot in.

In short, I think I grew up as it relates to playing the game of golf and it's showing.

I want to play within my ability but and I am sure I am not the only here with this problem. My ego jumps in there after watching one of my friends nail their drive 50 yards or more past me lol, then I try to push things instead of playing smart. I believe this is what is called beating yourself. It is very hard to not try and outdo your friends with more than just a better score.

I like to think that I'm very realistic about my skill set. Going long is not part of it, so I tend to play safe.

I never play within myself. I don't think that's very much fun because I suck. So I like to try to get creative and fun with it.

I use the Johnny Miller red/yellow/green light approach. It all depends on the lie, conditions, hazards, pin placement, etc. as to what the "smart" shot is. If you've got a green light shot then you let it fly, yellow is "aggressive conservative", red means take your medicine and don't compound the situation by trying to hit a hero shot.

... BUT, if I'm having a bad round and my score goes to hell early I'll go into go for broke mode. The men's club I play in has a Skins game in every tournament so I just try to make birdie on every hole. This sometimes shakes me out of whatever crap I've fallen into and if not it's a lot more fun than trying to play smart and sucking anyway. If I get lucky I might rack up some cash for a skin.

Guilty as charged... My biggest focus point this year is going into the round with a "realistic" game-plan of conservative shots that I'm comfortable hitting. This is a completely new way of golf for me, as before I was hitting driver on every hole, scramble from behind a tree somewhere, chip and two putt to play bogey golf (or worse). I'm now trying to keep it between the bouys and improve my short game to achieve a better score. Of course, it's a work in progress.

if the round is crap, then I'll start trying things to try to save it. More often that not, it makes it worse!

3 or 4 holes in I'm playing with the mentality "go big or go home." The thing is, I don't realize I'm doing it until the round is almost over.

My ego jumps in there after watching one of my friends nail their drive 50 yards or more past me lol, then I try to push things instead of playing smart.

if I'm having a bad round and my score goes to hell early I'll go into go for broke mode.

This all sounds very familiar!!!

Starting with three 6's is exactly when I should be stepping it down rather than winding it up!

Got a medal tomorrow and for me it's only get a card in, I need to remember the only person I'm playing against is me and I need to be content with "adequate" and not try to turn it up as I would usually do if things go well or badly!

I probably should play within my abilities, but I don't. I'm a 100% go big or go home type of golfer. For some reason when I score well but I never took risks, it doesn't feel as good as when I score not as good but pulled off some amazing risky shots. I much rather go Driver-FW to the green than hybrid-6i-wedge.

I probably should play within my abilities, but I don't. I'm a 100% go big or go home type of golfer. For some reason when I score well but I never took risks, it doesn't feel as good as when I score not as good but pulled off some amazing risky shots. I much rather go Driver-FW to the green than hybrid-6i-wedge.

I would personally feel better the other way as I said earlier but if that's what floats your boat and offers you the most satisfaction and enjoyment then have at it all day. My problem would be getting too upset with the much higher percentage of the shots that don't make it. But if you can live/sit well with that I think that's pretty cool that you can have more golf enjoyment that way. I know at the end the day I couldn't.

I know I should play smarter more often, it's just hard to swallow your pride and play the safer shot!

I attempted to flop over these trees and bunker onto the green (flag behind the middle tree) today:

998141_10152900268315099_804804364_n.jpg

So, nope!

I did get it over everything but past the green. Weren't really a lot of options though.

Although I don't carry anything longer than a 4 hybrid right now because I can't hit my driver and 3 wood anywhere near straight or consistent enough. So maybe that cancels out the time I try to hit it from the woods through the trees?

I'm with a lot of you guys. Back in the day I did't care to try and use solid course management while playing a round. I look back to some rounds I shot in high school and my college golf days and wonder "what if". Now that I'm not playing and practicing anywhere NEAR what I use to...now I try and play within myself. I use to see a 190 yard par 3 and think, Just hit the 6 James, you've got that. Now I tell myself to back off of the 5 a little, aim at the middle and work it a little left to right to the pin.
I've played more golf in the last few months than I have in a while. It's frustrating now, having use to play and practice ALL THE TIME, and now I never get to hardly. I don't have a handicap anymore, so now with what I've been shooting lately, I'm probably more like a 5 or 6. It's still good, but I HAVE to play smart and THINK my way around the course more than ever. The thinking part of the game is something they never really teach you in high school. I know if my daughters ever actually pick up the game, that's something I'll work on. Maybe could have won more than 3 tournys back in the day, had I known what I do now.

I attempted to flop over these trees and bunker onto the green (flag behind the middle tree) today:

So, nope!

I did get it over everything but past the green. Weren't really a lot of options though.

Should have used the 68 degree wedge :)

So, nope!

Although I don't carry anything longer than a 4 hybrid right now because I can't hit my driver and 3 wood anywhere near straight or consistent enough. So maybe that cancels out the time I try to hit it from the woods through the trees?

hahahaha. that's good amswer.

but anyway, I would try that shot. pic's can be deceiving vs real life but that appears to be far enough away with low enough trees. While I try to keep it humble, my thought here is that a pitch back to the fairway and then a small pitch back in is not my strong point anyway and I can actually flop a high one with an open wedge or high lob probably about as successfully as I would the other two shots believe it or not bout that's only because I am not good at chips and small pitches. So in a sense it sort of would be playing to the lesser of two evils for me.

Back