Do you prefer to walk or ride?

Definitely ride. Last year, i knew I was out of shape, and walking up those raised greens occasionally would wind me on a real hot day. But this year, I'm running, so I can ride in a golf cart guilt free!!

~Rock

I have seen just as many slow groups that are riding as I have slow groups that are walking. Is riding faster, of course it is. But can you be a walker and keep up the pace of play and get in 18 holes in less than 4 hours? Absolutely.

Walking gives you a better feel fro the course and conditions, I think. It gives you a better look at the greens as you approach as well and I think it gives you a much better feel for low spots and drainage which helps with green reading.
That and there is the exercise you get as well. Most of us could do with a little more exercise...

Walking gives you a better feel fro the course and conditions, I think. It gives you a better look at the greens as you approach as well and I think it gives you a much better feel for low spots and drainage which helps with green reading.
That and there is the exercise you get as well. Most of us could do with a little more exercise...

I read something along the lines of that in Dave Stockton's last book. I never thought of it before, but now am I pretty conscious of a green when walking up to it.

I prefer to walk over riding and I have never found my walking to slow down anyone. If Im walking with a group of riders I am typically the one waiting on them. I can walk directly off the tee box toward my ball and not have to go back to the cart, load up and go. I walk for exercise and to calm me down after a good or bad shot. I also find walking helps me track my ball better. If i hit, take note of where the ball is, get in the cart drive there as fast as possible, I typically cant find my ball as fast as if i were walking to it. Walking seems to keep my mind in the game better than riding.

Walk, the only time I ride is with my father who has bad knees.

Ride...Many of the courses down here dont allow walkers until after 3pm. That equates to about a million degrees on the temp gauge.

I would rather walk but it is not something I get to do as often as I would like these days. A few years ago I walked probably 95% of the rounds I played now I ride probably 80%. Need to get back in shape.

I'd say that I play approx. 2 strokes better when walking. Just gets you into the flow of the round better.

I'm about 50/50. I'll follow suit with my playing partners. I prefer to walk but my home course is not very friendly for it. I think I play better when walking , but can't prove it. They should add that option to golfshot. I've had the experience of a caddy once and that was amazing. It was a very relaxing walk.

I like to ride when playing 18 but I really enjoy walking 9 holes after work. Just for kicks, I got a free pedometer (step counter) from HumanaFit and wore it yesterday. In a 9 hole round (with long distances between holes), I walked over 7,000 steps and 3.1 miles and burned 265 calories. I was actually hitting it fairly straight yesterday too so my other walking rounds could yield more exercise!!

My course is cart path only, which I find make me play at roughly the same speed either way.
If the course I play all the time is cart path only 100% of the time, I'm using my push cart. Cart path only sucks.

I have seen just as many slow groups that are riding as I have slow groups that are walking. Is riding faster, of course it is. But can you be a walker and keep up the pace of play and get in 18 holes in less than 4 hours? Absolutely.
I played a new course a month or so ago and it was cart path only that day. Two of us played in under four hours which surprised us.

Can't argue with this. I don't mind walking the last 75 to 100 yards to the green with my putter and other clubs I might have used on the previous shot for that reason. Problem comes when the person you're riding with wants to do the same! (Most of the time it's not an issue).

I like both, but the choice is generally dependent on who I'm playing with and the course being played. Some of the courses require a cart (which I hate - I'll pay the fee but if I want to walk I should be able to (ESPECIALLY IF THEY HAVE SOME CART PATH ONLY RULE)).

Most of the guys I play with will only ride, so if it's a foursome, I just ride. If its an odd-number, I will walk (with push cart). I will always try and walk if I'm a single unless I'm trying to get in a very quick round like JB.

A slow person is slow no matter if they walk or ride. I walk 99% of the time even though I have a cart membership. Only ride when I play with the wife which is once or twice a week. I also ride more often when the temps start getting into the mid 90's in the summer. I enjoy walking but not to the point in the heat where I'm ready to drop over dead. Just part of being 50 I think.

I always ride, but lately I've been thinking I should start walking to save money and get some exercise.

Wish I would have jumped on that $119 Clicgear 3.0 deal at Modell's.

Last edited:
I'd like to walk all the time...I usually do (except with my dad who really can't anymore). The game was invented as walking and I feel more in touch with the course that way...especally when I get to play parts of it that most people don't see. (I hit some shots you can't even get to with a cart). Plus I can't afford to play very much anyway, with a cart it's even less. HOWEVER once the temps cross the 90* mark (which is at least 85% of the summer) a cart can be nice.

i have my fiance ride (her choice) and i'll walk the course.
I can't get into my "groove" if i ride.

I walk more than ride because its cheaper, i like the exercise, and I dont see the point of riding when by yourself. I'll ride if I'm in a group that wants to ride, but given the choice, I'll walk. I can usually walk 9 in 90 minutes, and thats at nice pace.

Walk & carry for matches, carts for drinking rounds.

Walk all the time except for events where the cart is provided. And by walking I mean I use a push cart. It's saved my back and allowed me to keep walking and get a pretty good workout over 18 holes. I do find that I play bit better when riding though. Maybe I'll have to look at a cart plan someday.

I mentioned that I prefer to walk earlier and I was reflecting on a really cool riding experience from last summer. While visiting the Sacramento area a buddy took me to a course called Turkey Creek and their carts had the GPS on em! It was the most awesome experience ever! Distances to layup, distance off the tee and it hits you up about your food order when you are about to make the turn. If that was my local track I would ride every chance I got, that place rocked!

I mentioned that I prefer to walk earlier and I was reflecting on a really cool riding experience from last summer. While visiting the Sacramento area a buddy took me to a course called Turkey Creek and their carts had the GPS on em! It was the most awesome experience ever! Distances to layup, distance off the tee and it hits you up about your food order when you are about to make the turn. If that was my local track I would ride every chance I got, that place rocked!

All the city courses back home have that kind of gps. It is nice to be able call the beer cart too.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

I prefer to walk & carry. It's fun to ride, but usually I play better golf when I walk...something to do with rhythm I guess. I hate to drag a trolley. When I walk and carry, it's more physical and it feels good. When riding, it's less intense, and usually a beer or two involved, and I smoke (cigarettes) a lot more. Of course, a super hilly course, on a super hot day, a cart can be good thing too. I was in Florida last year playing for a week, and we were not allowed to walk. It slightly put me off, but I corrected the situation by having just fun, relaxing and shooting 2 shots for a dollar.

I like to walk when its cooler outside, but once the temp gets over 100 it gets rough.

Back