Do you REALLY care what the pros say about their equipment?

mjkladis

"CLETUS"
Reaction score
Handicap
DJ's interview after his win at the 2018 Tournament of Champions really got me thinking...
In his interview, DJ talked about how the new "Twist Face" technology in his Taylormade driver really helped his accuracy.

So I was wondering, how much weight does this kind of marketing have on your decision when you buy equipment.

We talk about people moving the needle (Tiger) but do they REALLY move the needle for you?
I'll be honest and say it definitely makes me curious but it rarely gets me to buy something just because a Tour Pro is successful using that same piece of equipment.

I take what pros say about any kind of equipment with a grain of salt. They are playing an entirely different game than I am.

I take what pros say about any kind of equipment with a grain of salt. They are playing an entirely different game than I am.
See and I take what they say with a grain of salt since they're getting the equipment for free and more than likely being paid to play it!

Yes I do. I'm not going to lie and say "I don't care what the pros say. I just play what's best for my game." I never even considered an M3 or M4 but after seeing what DJ did and hearing what DJ said, I want to try one out.

I don't care at all and am not listening very often as I seem to watch less TV the older I get. I do know that there are so much great equipment out there that I could play dozens of different irons or drivers and be 100% happy. Having the proper fit is important, brand is not.

I don't care what they say about their equipment. The vast majority of them are paid and sponsored.

The real question to ask about DJ is, how much did he get paid by TM to win AND bring up Twisty McTwist face technology.

~Rock

Honest answers so far! I like it.

I'm just really curious if these "needle movers" really do help get people to decide on equipment rather that be clothes, shoes, clubs, or balls.

Honest answers so far! I like it.

I'm just really curious if these "needle movers" really do help get people to decide on equipment rather that be clothes, shoes, clubs, or balls.

in every sport the most successful and/or exciting and/or controversial people are coveted as reps because people try to follow their lead. People off to claim not to but sales figures put the lie to that. Entire trends can be started by one player, in fact (see shorts, Basketball cross-referenced with Jordan, Michael)

Personally? I could not even tell you what clubs I play for the most part and it is a set, but since I don't swing 130 mph there is no resemblance between my game and a pros game and I could not tell you what a single pro plays

Absolutely zero effect on me. I like when they do it but it won’t influence my buying decision.

No, I do not. The opinions of paid spokespersons who have a gazillion times more skill than me do not matter to me.

They are paid and probably told to hype it up, I'm sure if he hated the new driver they would paint the old model up to look like a New one just for sales.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

It doesn't influence my decisions one bit.

i think i care more when a pro DOESN'T change than when a pro does, or when a pro changes then changes back. for instance, when jordan put the 716 ap2 in the bag, i don't think they lasted long before he put the 714 ap2 back in. now afaik he has the 718 ap2 in the bag.

Not at all....What THP'ers have to say about their equipment has more affect on me

I'll be that guy. I'm intrigued enough by what DJ said to at least go hit one at Golftown but I really have no expectations.

I like seeing the pros excited. If anything it does increase my interest in trying something but rarely drives me to buy.

I'll be that guy. I'm intrigued enough by what DJ said to at least go hit one at Golftown but I really have no expectations.

I'm in the same boat here. Hearing DJ talk about the new tech and saying how it made his misses more playable definitely makes me want to try one out. But the final decision to buy is based on my own testing and results.

Nope, means nothing to me. Vast majority are paid to say nice things anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to say that it didn't matter but I realized I was full of crap. It definitely influences me. Seeing success or excitement helps get my buy in, even if they are getting paid to play it.

With that said I think it also depends on who is playing it. I'm usually only influenced by the high performing and popular guys on tour.

After the driving display DJ put on you bet your ass I am paying a bit more attention to the M3/M4 line.

Simple answer - no

They play a different game to me so I don't expect anything that they say about the club to be the same for me

I care and am always curious. I don't know if it influences my purchases or not. Probably more than I'd like to admit. That being said I am interested in their equipment thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think their success (even if it is just temporary) speaks more to me than their words in interviews.

I honestly don't care. I care what works for me. They're on a different level and while I'm glad they can put their most times paid opinion out there, it's not going to make a difference in my bag.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

It means absolutely nothing to me. While I am an avid golfer, I am not a pro and fully expect to hit sh!t shots from time to time and I care more about what helps my game. I think DJ was just being a good company man by dropping that shameless plug to be honest.

Back