Do You Start Hot?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
It typically takes me a couple of holes to get going. I had a friend today told me his best hole according to Arccos was #1 at his course. That is actually one of my worst, despite it being a pretty straight forward par 4. I assume this is because of my slow start.

So do you start hot? If you don't could you?

It typically takes me a couple of holes to get going. I had a friend today told me his best hole according to Arccos was #1 at his course. That is actually one of my worst, despite it being a pretty straight forward par 4. I assume this is because of my slow start.

So do you start hot? If you don't could you?
This changes day to day for me. Most of the time I start hot then leak oil down the stretch. I think this is the more common one for me now as age is starting to affect on course stamina. It used to be the opposite. I'd spray balls on the first 3 holes, then get locked in.

I do well on the first hole, typically. Then I get worse for a while, and tend to finish with a flurry.

I'll post my scores by hole #. I just noticed it last night, and it was somewhat surprising. It's biased by my home course since I play more rounds there, but it's still a little dramatic, and something I'm going to try to work on.

score by hole (3).jpg

It is very rare for me to shot anything less than a double bogey on the first hole. I very rarely ever warm up on the range before starting a round. Many of the golf courses I played this year don't even have a range. So other than doing some stretching I start out cold. Usually by the third of forth hole I'm warmed up. LOL, then there are other other days where it never happens :laughing:

If I birdie or par the first couple that usually means it’s gonna be a bad round. Don’t know if I put too much pressure on myself after or what. I’m almost happy if I double the first

I do well on the first hole, typically. Then I get worse for a while, and tend to finish with a flurry.

I'll post my scores by hole #. I just noticed it last night, and it was somewhat surprising. It's biased by my home course since I play more rounds there, but it's still a little dramatic, and something I'm going to try to work on.

I should start posting my scores by hole but so far I'm too lazy. I already know my worst scoring holes on the course are the par 3 2nd and the par 4th 9th hole. On both of the last two courses I've been a member at the toughest stretch is always the first 5 or 6 holes. I always seem to finish strong after I get through that stretch.

I start real hot, as in a real hot mess and then usually get something going by hole 3 or 4 ?

Typically it’s a no. I was always in a hurry and worried about getting stuck behind a slow group if I warmed up properly, so the first couple holes were my warm up.

The past year or two my attitude about it changed. I started hitting a warm up bucket of ten balls (I’d hit 3GW, 2 8i, 2 4i, 3 Driver. I’d also spend 5-10 minutes on the short game area and 5-10 minutes on the practice green. I found I played the first couple holes a lot better on average.

quite the opposite. i'm usually good for a bogey or double bogey start.

I generally do not. I have a few times before, but never ends well.

Usually not. It takes me a 2-3 holes to get into the round even if I've hit some balls.

I get confused if I make par or birdie on the first hole. It's like something is definitely going to go violently wrong

I should start posting my scores by hole but so far I'm too lazy. I already know my worst scoring holes on the course are the par 3 2nd and the par 4th 9th hole. On both of the last two courses I've been a member at the toughest stretch is always the first 5 or 6 holes. I always seem to finish strong after I get through that stretch.

I literally didn't know that was available to view in my Grint account until last night. When I saw it, it definitely gave me pause. 9, 10, & 11 is the toughest stretch on my home course imo. Everyone thinks they're having a good round until then. After them, you generally have some shots to make up.

I think I probably could start hot, but rarely do. I never really thought about why either. Opening hole at my course is a dog leg left which doesn’t set up well for my fade so I think mentally it’s in my head.

I generally start slow. Last few rounds I have started very hot and then I think the nerves around personal best in scoring thinking start to kick in. I'll get used to that eventually. (y)

it always takes me a few holes to get things going so if I can put up a score on any of the first 3-4 holes it’s a bonus.

Definite hot.

My course #1 hole is pretty easy, but I don' come out of the gate swinging with birdies or eagles.

Usually it's a par or bogey.

The second hole is hardest hole on the course, so Par there is a win (it's a Par 5) The following Par 3s are tough - you're not really looking at scoring holes until 6/7/8 - so one should be a birdie but Par is never bad.

I start slow at my course. Really based on layout

I used to always start out bogey or even DB and it would take a hole or two to get going, but the last year I’ve been getting mainly pars and bogeys instead. Been a nice feeling for once!

Takes me a while to heat up, but since I play in the evenings, I usually cool down near the end of the round. Once the sun starts to drop, the heat goes away quickly.

I usually get off to a slow start, especially on my home course. Hole 1 has my number for some reason and the 3rd hole is just stupid but I can usually get going decent after that.

Usually don't really hit my full stride until #4.

I get off to a slower start usally par and bogey depending on the hole. Around 4th hole I’m going in

I start out pretty ok actually. I tend to play best towards the middle though.

On my home course I usually start well, first hole is a par 5, followed by a rather short par 3 then a dogleg par 4. My goal for the first 3 combined is 1 under but even par is okay. After the 3rd, the course toughens up fast.

This season I found I hit a lull around 12/13 which in hindsight I attribute to lack of staying nourished and hydrated. On both counts, this year I didn’t pay enough attention to both until it as too late and run out of gas, both mentally and physically. On average, I typically start strong.

If I hit balls and stretch prior to playing I have a chance of starting hot. I did say a chance as I usually take a hole or two to get going.

Back