Do you swing at or near 100%?

gr8dryv

Big Boned
Reaction score
Handicap
Job & Kids
I've been a hard swinger my all the while I've played. If the distance calls for a full swing, I'm swinging. I'm considering a new mindset toward my game where I take an extra club and back down on the swing speed. My misses have been mostly topped shots with some thinned ones thrown in for good measure. I know there's more to it than clubhead speed but I'm hoping a slower swing will help me keep my head down and better my timing.
It'll be a challenge with the driver especially, but it might be time to put the machismo on the shelf if it means picking up consistency.

Anyone else try it and see good results?

Swing hard, just in case you hit it.

Swing hard, just in case you hit it.

You're not helping! I've always said that I'm going to swing hard as long as my body allows, but I'd like to see my index come down

I usually go after drivers and fairway woods near 100%. Irons I am usually dialed back with.

I swing hard enough to hold my finish.

Good things rarely happen when I swing as fast as I am capable of swinging. YMMV.

I always swing pretty hard, but there is a line between swinging hard and overswinging.

I've been a hard swinger my all the while I've played. If the distance calls for a full swing, I'm swinging. I'm considering a new mindset toward my game where I take an extra club and back down on the swing speed. My misses have been mostly topped shots with some thinned ones thrown in for good measure. I know there's more to it than clubhead speed but I'm hoping a slower swing will help me keep my head down and better my timing.
It'll be a challenge with the driver especially, but it might be time to put the machismo on the shelf if it means picking up consistency.

Anyone else try it and see good results?
Rob, I've been doing the same thing this season and it has worked well for me. So much more control and consistency of contact. I also find it very useful on all slopey lies too.

I was listening to a podcast the other day that had a higher up at Ben Hogan golf and he was talking about this exact thing. Basically the story was that someone asked Hogan what his differences in yardage was for every club. Hogan had a range of over 25 yards for each club and his thinking was that he could ramp up his speed if need be, but he would take a little more club and try to focus on a better/even swing.

I thought this was really an interesting approach because for me I am always thinking about my max for each club and being able to say "I hit my 7 iron 160 yards" when in reality that is if I catch it perfect and swing for the fences. This is something I am going to start working with and see if it helps.

I do not swing hard and definitely not near 100%.

I'm much more comfortable taking the extra club and choking down as needed and delivering my standard swing.

Best tip I ever received was to swing it 80%. I used to really get after the ball.

I have tried to change the mindset of swinging hard because that would equal huge over the top move. I try to stay balanced and swing fast. That said, I am usually swinging smooth, not sure what percentage that would be, but definitely not 100%.

I have two swing speeds: 100% and 110%.

Interesting quote regarding swinging hard, and I've kind of always lived by this. I can't remember the exact quote, but Ben Hogan wrote it in his 5 lessons, and it's something like "I always swing hard, almost as hard as I can, but never hard enough to lose balance and timing."

you know that if you can get to 100%, your 100% isn't reall 100% right?

Is this some kind of Canadian conversion? You and your crazy math

My "100% distance" with my irons is probably only 75-80% of how hard I could actually swing at it. I do tend to go closer to 100% on my woods though. Those are harder to have the same mentality.

Irons, I'm closer to 80%. Less than full bore, certainly. I'm looking for contact and accuracy there, ramping it up destroys that for me.
Off the tee? I'm swinging as hard as I can without breaking down (I suppose that would be overswinging, looking for speed that just isn't there). Right to the point before I start whirling from the top and things go horribly awry. I'd like to think I swing as fast as I can and still be "smooth", although I've seen some golf trip video that suggests I still swing like I've been tazered at the top of the backswing.

All depends on the situation for me. My scoring clubs rarely see full swings or 100%. My driver will always see close to 100%. My biggest misses with the driver come when I try to slow down and my timing is off.

I play by the motto of "swing hard, not fast." There is a difference between the two

you know that if you can get to 110%, your 100% isn't reall 100% right?
Don't you dare bring logic and facts into this, this is the internet.

Very rarely do I swing 100%. I find it easier to control the flight and spin with a 3/4 swing. If I do need a little more distance or spin then I can still kick in the next gear and get the desired extra bit needed.

Another big thing I've seen this year is my gap and lob wedge misses. I'm chunking a lot on full swings so that is really where I need to reel it in.

Not Even Close i swing at about 75% which is still very quick but it helps keep my upper and lower body in sync

Back