Do you think the USGA should set a standard for the flagstick/cup issue going forward?

The USGA sucks.

Go forward golf should be governed by local rules. What are your pros and cons?
Biggest con is that local rules could be so different that playing by one club's local rules could give you a vastly different score than the other so it's impossible to actually know where you stand in relation to anyone else not at your club

Biggest con is that local rules could be so different that playing by one club's local rules could give you a vastly different score than the other so it's impossible to actually know where you stand in relation to anyone else not at your club
^ That's the biggest downside I see, it would basically render handicaps meaningless outside of your own club. The upside would be the possibility of somebody with some common sense making rules.

i’ll take that over the usga

Why haven't you played? I played in Georgia this past Friday.

Just been keeping myself busy waiting for Country Oaks to open back up. Really haven't had the desire to drive to any of these other small towns to play their course. Driving 1000 miles per week for like 25 years straight while working kind of broke me of any desire to do much driving outside of T'ville except for some kind of vacation or special event. Going to Cairo or Quitman does not qualify as a special event to me.

K
Just been keeping myself busy waiting for Country Oaks to open back up. Really haven't had the desire to drive to any of these other small towns to play their course. Driving 1000 miles per week for like 25 years straight while working kind of broke me of any desire to do much driving outside of T'ville except for some kind of vacation or special event. Going to Cairo or Quitman does not qualify as a special event to me.
Kinderlou is right down the road.

I played Cairo for the first time last week. Not terrible, not great. The reviews I read online had me expecting much worse. I was with a good group so it was fun. They had the cups upside down, and I prefer the pool noodle.

K

Kinderlou is right down the road.

I played Cairo for the first time last week. Not terrible, not great. The reviews I read online had me expecting much worse. I was with a good group so it was fun. They had the cups upside down, and I prefer the pool noodle.

I was going to play Cairo Monday with a couple of guys until they decided to back the start time from 11:30 to 9 am. Already had plans with my daughter at 9 so couldn't go. Just heard earlier today that they don't mind people walking Country Oaks after 4:30 when the grounds crew finishes. No pins in holes, tee markers, etc. but at least I can go see if I remember how to hit a ball after 8 weeks. Will probably do that a few times before they re-open on 5/15.

The course I played today had the inserts protruding about 1" outside the hole. It wasn't bad, but there weren't any flagsticks in any of the holes, not that it matters since I'm a "middle of the green in regulation" golfer, but within 120 yards it might have helped to know where the cup was.
Was a pin sheet given out at the start?

I've only played on courses with the pool noodles in the cups. I miss the sound a ball makes as it hits the bottom of the cup. That said lets not get the USGA involved until we absolutely have to. Although knowing them they could start working on it now and we may get an answer sometime 2015.
Did you mean the USGA would provide a ruling in 2025?:ROFLMAO:

A standard would be nice. I've played five courses now since this all started, one with raised cup (by far the the worst option), three with the upside down cup (not much better), and one with a combo of the noodle with a plastic disk on top of it. The last one was by far the best, they were set at a depth that the ball dropped into the hole like normal. The upside down cups suck because the "plug" portion on the bottom of the flag stick is right at ground level, so a center of the cup putt is almost certainly going to bounce off. The raised cup is just stupid.

inconsistency seems to be the only consistent thing

I've played 2 setups. One where the foam prevents the ball from falling. My playing parnters on this just hit the ball hard and remove break. My normal course I like better and the foam allow the ball to fall into the cup just not very far. This is very close to real putting.

I’m sure it does but the ones I’ve played have been fine.
So does upside down if done poorly

well I stand corrected after yesterday. Course site says raised cups. I get there and they are actually upside down, cool. Well on some holes the ball would drop in, most actually. However there was a few that would bounce off the flag stick and bounce out. We decided if it hit the bottom of the flag stick it’s good. All in all I’ll take it. Great to be out golfing and enjoying time with friends.

I think a standard should be set, because there are so many different set ups, and some just don't work that well. On yesterday's course, they had a little hook wire that went down into the cup lifting up a platform that brought the ball up and ejected it out of the whole gently. That wire what is attached to the flagstick with small plastic fittings causing the wire to stand off the flagstick about a half-inch. Yesterday on a birdie putt my ball was gently rolling into the center of the hole and hit that wire, popping the ball out of the hole. There wasn't any doubt the ball would of Hit the bottom of the cup, and everybody in the foursome couldn't believe what had just happened. The setup was meant to allow a golfer to use his putter head to lift up on the hook raising the little platform on the bottom of the hole releasing the ball, so the golfer never has to touch the hot wire. Nobody ever seems to use the putter head but always use a finger on the hook to lift platform. I guess that is the golfer's problem, but it's a terrible set up in my opinion. I really don't think you need anything other than the way it used to be, as I can slip two fingers down into the hole and pick the golf ball out of the hole without touching anything. My hands are quite large and I don't have a problem.

Yesterday on a birdie putt my ball was gently rolling into the center of the hole and hit that wire, popping the ball out of the hole. There wasn't any doubt the ball would of Hit the bottom of the cup, and everybody in the foursome couldn't believe what had just happened.
Nice birdie!

Just go back to normal. I getting real tired of this 💩.

Another vote for back to normal.

Another vote for back to normal.
My home course has been back to normal for a while now. They still ask that you don't pull flagsticks, but people pull them if they want to.

One of the courses we play has a full depth cup with a handle on the flag stick a few feet off the ground that has an insert attached to it at the bottom of the hole. You put your putter on the handle and pull up and it pops the ball out. I love it and would like to see it stay on even after Covid.

Gotta be a shallow cup with noodle or something.

Our course has gone back to normal...it's been that way for at least a month that I can remember...that being said, I don't think the USGA will get involved in this one...now watch, in a couple days there'll be an announcement tomorrow, lol.

It's very simple, I can get my golf ball out of the hole sliding my hand down and lifting the ball between two fingers, with a flat hand that doesn't touch anything.

I actually like that they've kind of stayed out of it, and hope they continue to, because the more forcefully they react in that way, the larger the mistake is likely to be.

Back