Do you think the USGA should set a standard for the flagstick/cup issue going forward?

Last year, I really disliked the whole “flag in” vs “flag out” nonsense, especially people in the same group that couldn’t agree to one method. While I prefer it out, I am ok with keeping the flag in if everyone also does the same. Speeds up play if there are no choices.

re: the cup - I prefer the noodle if we have to avoid the cup for a few more months.

I just want to be able to pull the pin .....

I don’t mind the cups with foam or plates or whatever and although it might mess with your head, its not different than having the cup as normal. With that said, The raised cup is the one I see being an issue. People just smashing putts into it isn’t golf.

Plus I’ve seen a definite increase in pace of play due to the new rules. I like it and think we should make it permanent :)

Everybody should have the same guidelines. Make it easy for everybody so we can have a fair handicap system

Holy god yes - those lifting cups need to be the standard. They are cheap and genius.

Obviously we most of us have experienced golf under this Covid-19 time. We have seen upside down cups, stryofoam in the hole and plastic discs. We have also seen a contraption that you raise with your putter to get the ball out of the hole. Every course I have played has had something different and it has affected my experience both positively and negatively. Do you think there should be some sort of standard set by the USGA going forward or do you think everything is going to return to normal when this is over and just let things be the way they are?
No, some of have seen NONE OF THAT, except online.

I've only played on courses with the pool noodles in the cups. I miss the sound a ball makes as it hits the bottom of the cup. That said lets not get the USGA involved until we absolutely have to. Although knowing them they could start working on it now and we may get an answer sometime 2015.

The foam was far and away the best experience. The ball actually went in the hole but was easily retrieved without touching anything. The plastic disc was a close second, it sat up a little higher which didn't allow the ball to go in as far but it also looked more professional than the foam.
I've only played with a raised cup and with the foam. I agree, the foam wasn't bad at all. I didn't care for the raised cup.

I've only played on courses with the pool noodles in the cups. I miss the sound a ball makes as it hits the bottom of the cup. That said lets not get the USGA involved until we absolutely have to. Although knowing them they could start working on it now and we may get an answer sometime 2015.
They'll say there's a "cup problem" because the pros are sinking too many putts, so they'll shrink the hole for all golfers down to a size where a golf ball will barely fit in.

Obviously we most of us have experienced golf under this Covid-19 time. We have seen upside down cups, stryofoam in the hole and plastic discs. We have also seen a contraption that you raise with your putter to get the ball out of the hole. Every course I have played has had something different and it has affected my experience both positively and negatively. Do you think there should be some sort of standard set by the USGA going forward or do you think everything is going to return to normal when this is over and just let things be the way they are?

The USGA sucks.

Go forward golf should be governed by local rules. What are your pros and cons?

played the foam twice and raised cup many times. both equally craptacular...but no real effect on my putting, such as it is

You really think those cup lifter devices would get in the way? The ball seems to go all the way down
I have numerous thoughts.

1- yes
2- people are either to abuse putters getting the ball out, or use their hands/feet which kind of defeats the purpose.

I have numerous thoughts.

1- yes
2- people are either to abuse putters getting the ball out, or use their hands/feet which kind of defeats the purpose.
Darn. You are right. Darn good, sound logic. I’m a little embarrassed to have no thought of that

Darn. You are right. Darn good, sound logic. I’m a little embarrassed to have no thought of that
I'm super interested to see the athleticism involved in using someone's foot to pull that lever up, without gashing the green with spike marks at the same time..

....because we golfers? Yep. Athletes.

As long as the ball can go below the plane of the hole. If that means pool noodle, inverted cups or the discs. The ball must not be inhibited from "lipping" out. I think that raised cups or long noodles up the flag pole where people can bang it off at untrue rolls is rediculous.

I actually enjoyed playing with the foam in the hole. I am sure the first time I miss a birdie putt due to the insert bouncing the ball my attitude would change.

I have not been fortunate enough to play under any of the Covid-19 flagstick / cup revisions. I would think that the pool noodle thing in the cup would be the most palatable option for me. If we are going to have to continue much into the future with restrictions, I do think adopting one set standard of flagstick / cup revision is probably best.
Why haven't you played? I played in Georgia this past Friday.

i played saturday with the cup flipped so it was easy to get the ball out of the hole. Played today with raised cups, and honestly, if you want to speed the game up and make it easier for the average hack, raised cups are the way to go.

I personally don't care which option is used but I do think it would be good to have a standard. The USGA will probably pick the absolute worst possible option (like foam an inch below the lip but you have to get the ball out with your mouth so you don't touch it with your hands...) but we can hope they get something righ.

Back