Do you think the USGA should set a standard for the flagstick/cup issue going forward?

Obviously we most of us have experienced golf under this Covid-19 time. We have seen upside down cups, stryofoam in the hole and plastic discs. We have also seen a contraption that you raise with your putter to get the ball out of the hole. Every course I have played has had something different and it has affected my experience both positively and negatively. Do you think there should be some sort of standard set by the USGA going forward or do you think everything is going to return to normal when this is over and just let things be the way they are?

I'm not sure what the question is. There is a standard set now. The current "standard" is not a standard and is the reaction to real world requirements.

I think we should just go back to standard holes with flags. Do we really think the varies current set ups are that much safer?

Don't think there will be a standard. I played a course the other day with a pin and then another cup 3 feet left or right of the pin that you putted to. :oops:

If they kept the foam in the cup approach for the foreseeable future, I'd be OK with it. Keeps me from having to stick my hand in the cholera water in the cup after a rainstorm.

I'm not sure what the question is. There is a standard set now. The current "standard" is not a standard and is the reaction to real world requirements.
Thank you for contributing absolutely nothing to the conversation

I would prefer the foam thingy. I still want to be able to putt the ball into the hole. Having the ball hit the cup raised out of the ground is not preferred.

Thank you for contributing absolutely nothing to the conversation

You're welcome. Thanks for contributing the snark.

I mean, you basically asked, "Should the USGA do what they've already done?", so I answered it as I saw fit. Now, if the question was, "Should the USGA change the standard after the COVID-19 pandemic subsides?", then the answer would have been vastly different. I try my damnedest not to read into what other people say or write.

You're welcome. Thanks for contributing the snark.

I mean, you basically asked, "Should the USGA do what they've already done?", so I answered it as I saw fit. Now, if the question was, "Should the USGA change the standard after the COVID-19 pandemic subsides?", then the answer would have been vastly different. I try my damnedest not to read into what other people say or write.
Everyone else seemed to understand the question, "going forward" does not imply should they do what they have already done, it implies the future.

Everyone else seemed to understand the question, "going forward" does not imply should they do what they have already done, it implies the future.
OK

The foam in the hole has been the best. I wish that USGA would make it permanent by reducing the depth of the hole. I don’t think the edges around the hole are getting torn up as bad as before. When you leave the pin in at normal cup depth, big hands make it hard to retrieve without touching the edges

I'm for anything that lets the ball have a chance to at least be below the surface (cup upside down, pool noodle, pvc pipe). I think raised cups are the worst out of all of them because I've seen it turn in to just mashing the ball in to the raised cup and counting it good. At least if the ball has a chance to drop, you need some semblance of pace

Yes. Previously I would have said no. Putting with the flagstick always in is a non-issue (to me), and people seem to be playing faster on the greens. Do you want it in or out? Out for joe, in for betty, back out for john. That adds up. The only thing I don't like is the shallow cups. Well designed cup lift mechanisms might just be the answer. I could get used to that. I can also play with the shallow cups. We would all just have to get used to the one that got away.

I'm for anything that lets the ball have a chance to at least be below the surface (cup upside down, pool noodle, pvc pipe). I think raised cups are the worst out of all of them because I've seen it turn in to just mashing the ball in to the raised cup and counting it good. At least if the ball has a chance to drop, you need some semblance of pace

Raised cups suck. Not sure who thought of that. They must have been the least creative person in their circle of friends.

Yes. Previously I would have said no. Putting with the flagstick always in is a non-issue (to me), and people seem to be playing faster on the greens. Do you want it in or out? Out for joe, in for betty, back out for john. That adds up. The only thing I don't like is the shallow cups. Well designed cup lift mechanisms might just be the answer. I could get used to that. I can also play with the shallow cups. We would all just have to get used to the one that got away.
I agree with this. The flagstick hasn't bothered me at all like it used to but the ball not going in the hole does. I don't care if leaving the flagstick in becomes a rule anymore but I want to see the ball drop.

I vote for back to normal as well or at least let the members of each club vote on what they want. We had two putts today in our threesome get rejected by the wire on the auto retriever. Both 100% would have gone in had the flagstick been pulled and both likely would have gone if they had hit just the regular flagstick.

The course I played today had the inserts protruding about 1" outside the hole. It wasn't bad, but there weren't any flagsticks in any of the holes, not that it matters since I'm a "middle of the green in regulation" golfer, but within 120 yards it might have helped to know where the cup was.

The course I played today had the inserts protruding about 1" outside the hole. It wasn't bad, but there weren't any flagsticks in any of the holes, not that it matters since I'm a "middle of the green in regulation" golfer, but within 120 yards it might have helped to know where the cup was.
See thats what I'm talking about. No flagsticks at all? No thanks. This is why IF this covid stuff continues throughout the summer I'd love to see some sort of rule or something on how courses should do it. There is just no consistency right now in a game that should have some.

The 2 courses I've played have had the noodles & inverted cups & both were ok, but you don't get that sound of the ball dropping. As for the pin, it was a little odd & bothered me a little to not pull it when I was close. So I would have to agree with @Canadan on getting back to normal so that we can pull the pin.

We were just talking about this during our round last weekend. The consensus was yes, we all wished there was some kind of standard. One of the guys went from playing a round where they had the plastic cover and the ball would lip out to a round with raised cups that they would just hammer the ball at to having foam in the cup within a matter of a few days. It would be nice if every course would do the same so people could get used to it.

I think there should be some consistency... and that the USGA should stop making arbitrary rules. But you didn't ask that question so...

Given time, things will go back to normal. Or not. What's normal now a days?

I HATE the whole inverted cup thing, I prefer the fan insert or disk that allows the ball to at least fall and inch into the hole.

One place i played had some sort of disc with plastic lines that went to the edges and the ball would just bounce out, hard to tell if something on the edge would have or wouldn't have fallen

imagine this with about double the raised plastic pieces....

11344227-b6cc-476e-b95c-0614866a4fe5_1920x1080.png

back to normal please. i dont like this raised cup foam cup stuff.

Back