Do You Think You _ Play Golf...or...Work Golf?

GolfLivesMatter

Reaction score
Handicap
I ask this question because the standard question is "are you playing golf this weekend". Then after a few holes I felt like I'm not playing anymore, I'm "working" golf. Curious to see if others have had the same thought?

I ask this question because the standard question is "are you playing golf this weekend". Then after a few holes I felt like I'm not playing anymore, I'm "working" golf. Curious to see if others have had the same thought?

I'm always playing! Once I'm "working....i'm quitting"!

I may work on something here and there, but I’m out to play not work. If it’s work it’s time to go home.

Once on course for a round, always playing. Only time working is when on range or practice area trying to improve on something. I should mention in the evenings if quiet and I play as a single I may work on a few extra things if a particular shot needs a little massaging.

I’m always playing golf. If I start playing bad I’ll get into the social side of the group to keep from getting grumpy. If I think a few imaginative shots will turn it around, I’ll try those to clear my head. But I never fell like I’m working on the course.

Work? Never.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never work, I never try to work on things once the round starts.

Always playing, but sometimes if can feel like a little work when you have completely lost it. That part can get frustrating but still have to just have fun.

I golf for entertainment/enjoyment. Of course well all want to play well but in the end we are not getting paid to do this so its not work.

Not incredibly sure I understand the question in the phrasing here, but I will bite. Golf is not work, golf is for purely fun. If golf turns into work, you either better be getting paid or need to hang it up.

Not incredibly sure I understand the question in the phrasing here, but I will bite. Golf is not work, golf is for purely fun. If golf turns into work, you either better be getting paid or need to hang it up.

This quote was also my initial feelings upon reading the OP. Golf is for fun. Sure you want to get better at it, but you go to the range to practice. Even there, I'm still having fun.

Not sure but seems like perhaps the OP question could relate to your mood? I used to get wrapped up in trying to beat my best score and then I would get frustrated or upset if I had a blowup hole. These days I don't get so wrapped up in that so I think I play golf.

Sadly I don't play a lot of golf now days. I'm so inconsistent mostly what I play is "golf swing".

...I hate that game.

Golf is frustrating at times but it is never work. If you see it as work then find something else you enjoy.

Folks, let me clarify "work". What i meant by that was going thru a round with constant internal instructions...do this...don't forget that...watch out for this/that. Then getting upset and swearing when one shank's a shot OB. To me...that feels more like "work" than "play".

I try to practice like a scientist and play like an artist. The practice part is hard for me as I would much rather play. I like the creativity and imagination that playing allows. Because of my disdain for practice I tend to take more lessons and let my coach worry about the scientist part. The closest I get to mechanical on the course is the couple of keys. My coach has given me in case it starts to go completely sideways on the course.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I try to practice like a scientist and play like an artist. The practice part is hard for me as I would much rather play. I like the creativity and imagination that playing allows. Because of my disdain for practice I tend to take more lessons and let my coach worry about the scientist part. The closest I get to mechanical on the course is the couple of keys. My coach has given me in case it starts to go completely sideways on the course.

What keys does your coach give you?

What keys does your coach give you?
I can get the club going a little to far outside on the backswing. When I feel like that happens I just take a couple waggles feeling like my hands are going to touch my left (I am left handed) pocket on the way back. This is an exaggeration but creates the feeling I am looking for. Other is to take 4 deep breathes before stepping into the shot. This helps me slow down when getting to quick.

I can get the club going a little to far outside on the backswing. When I feel like that happens I just take a couple waggles feeling like my hands are going to touch my left (I am left handed) pocket on the way back. This is an exaggeration but creates the feeling I am looking for. Other is to take 4 deep breathes before stepping into the shot. This helps me slow down when getting to quick.

Interesting! My pro says to turn back like I'm in a barrel. Nearly impossible to take the club too far outside.

If I thought it seemed like work, I would find a different hobby.

If I thought it seemed like work, I would find a different hobby.

I get your point Sox. I just see so many guys getting all P-o'd...slamming clubs into the ground when it seems like it's what they "love" to do.

I get your point Sox. I just see so many guys getting all P-o'd...slamming clubs into the ground when it seems like it's what they "love" to do.

#AngerManagementIssues (See Rahm, Jon)

Interesting! My pro says to turn back like I'm in a barrel. Nearly impossible to take the club too far outside.
The barrel is a good one, but doesn't work for me. Great thing about golf is many ways to get the job done.

All play for me. I enjoy the good and the bad. I don’t practice nearly enough to expect greatness or get mad when something goes wrong.

Back