Do You Think You Hit The Ball Too High?

I don't believe I hit the ball too high. In fact, I think an even higher ball flight would also come with some extra carry distance. There are definitely times when I hit a ball that travels almost straight up, but that is just a poor swing. My "good" swings could use a bit more time in the air, for sure.

This is an interesting topic, and I almost feel it's relative. When I work with my jinstructor and we are on the LM we are looking for 30-35yds max height. I'm usually around 28 but most people I play with say I hit the ball Too low. After reading Justin Rose talk about wanting his peak height to be about 100ft I'm pretty happy with shooting for 30yds.

Only with the scoring irons. Really working on fighting those down. I know my new irons/shafts will really help with that.

Too high? No. But there are times I would like to hit it lower...wind, tree limb, etc. But being able to have a shot stop quickly is probably more important to the way I play.

I definitely don't hit it high. I hit a mid /mid high ball and would love to see it go up just a bit. On occasions, I can loft a ball up nicely and I really like flight. But the wind in this area can really cause issues with those high flyers.

So what are the desired launch angles for say a 6 iron and driver?

I definitely don't hit it high. I hit a mid /mid high ball and would love to see it go up just a bit. On occasions, I can loft a ball up nicely and I really like flight. But the wind in this area can really cause issues with those high flyers.

All I know is you hit that fairway as good as I've seen anyone hit one. Beautiful flight.

All I know is you hit that fairway as good as I've seen anyone hit one. Beautiful flight.

Best round of my life. It was because I was playing my first round with you, and some of the best people around. Determination to play well, sometimes happens too.

I use to hit the ball to high, it was a combo of incorrect shafts and ball placed a bit to far forward in my stance. Since correcting these issues my ball flight has come down to a better trajectory and ideal spin rates.

I'm there with you. I never though I should be X-Stiff and always read all the "most people play too stiff a shaft" articles. I quickly realized this year that I fit into a different category. I now carry my driver 275 instead of 255. I also hit all my other clubs further just by going stiffer and getting my launch angle correct. I'm mad I waited this many years to go up in flex.

One thing I have noticed is that I hit the ball a ton higher than most people I golf with. But I also hit it a lot further and can, if needed, play a low shot as well.

There is no such thing as too high as long as it goes the right distance.

I have a mid ball flight. I certainly wish for a much higher ball flight on long par 3s. I'd love to have my 5i fly as high as my PW to stop that sucker.

No way. If anything, Id like to hit the ball higher.

Nope. If anything I could do with hitting them a little higher, although with the conditions I play in year round, i do get a tonne of roll on my driver with my ball flight.

This is a great reference and these averages aren't nearly as long as I thought they would be.

I was surprised as well when I saw them. Especially some of the LPGA numbers.

Great. I play like a half man/half woman!

:)

I have one of the highest ball flights on my G&CC, but I don't feel I'm hitting it too high. :)

And what could I do besides drastically change my swing? Even stiffer shafts with higher bendpoints? I'm playing X100's and tour-stiff, S400's in the wedges. My irons are not built for high-launch either. (I hit the rocketbladez a lot higher!)

I'd lower ball flight on short irons on par 3's... miss too many short with moon shots. I need to hit down on the ball better for sure...

I think all of my irons are at the right height except for my 4 iron. My 3w and Driver get high at times but thats when I catch it high on the face usually.

I don't think I hit the ball too high at all. I think my driver and mid to short irons are just fine.
I would like to see more height out of my 3 wood from the turf as well as my hybrid and long irons.

It depends. Generally speaking, my best drives are very high. However, some of my worst drives are too.

PGA Tour players hit the ball exceptionally high. I was shocked the first time I went to a tour event (Doral). I recently went up in loft on my driver from 9.5 to 10.5 and gained 25 yards, no joke.

PGA Tour players hit the ball exceptionally high. I was shocked the first time I went to a tour event (Doral). I recently went up in loft on my driver from 9.5 to 10.5 and gained 25 yards, no joke.
To be fair, I am comparing my height to the best players I regularly play with. My drives are a little lower, but I have 2º less loft too. My irons tend to be a bit higher, but compared to the [playing] professionals it's lower :)

No not at all. Sometimes the wind angers me, but I'd have to say its not too high at all.

Back