Do you use the bump and run?

Then I did some today. From trees, with mid irons.

Honestly the most likely place for me to bump.
It can be a pretty handy rescue shot sometimes.

It can be a pretty handy rescue shot sometimes.
Definitely. I actually practiced a long bump and run at the end of the season...

Definitely. I actually practiced a long bump and run at the end of the season...
The long bump and run can be useful on windy days when you don't want to put the ball up in the air and let the wind have its way with it. 3W or 5W is a nifty club for that shot!

The long bump and run can be useful on windy days when you don't want to put the ball up in the air and let the wind have its way with it. 3W or 5W is a nifty club for that shot!
I tried my woods for it but found that I couldn't keep the flight low enough. I ended up using my 4 iron.

I also got a Srixon 18* driving iron since the season ended and I'm hoping to try again with that club.

I use bump and run all the time, learned the game on a concrete hard course so playing height was too difficult both because of high bounce factor and difficulty getting under the ball.

Old man golf, definitely, unless I'm forced to use a wedge by the course. Will usually go under an problem rather than over if there's an option.

You guys inspired me - just returned from a range session and 100 balls of B&R with the 8i. I haven't used that shot for years. When I went to the John Jacobs school in 2014, they taught us that the pw goes 1:1 (e.g., 10 feet in the air, 10 feet rollout, depending on green speed), 9i goes 2:1, 8i goes 3:1. I'm going to use it tomorrow when I play.

I’ve started using it a lot the past few years as I’ve given up on trying to stop the ball on a dime. It’s working so much better too

I do a version quite often. A lot of times I am a bit far for a chip but a little close for me to feel comfortable tossing a pitch. Quite often I play it similar to how I chip but of course lower lofted club and bigger swing.

AS i get older, i find the bump and run is a greater percentage than the duffed chip, i am good at those

I employ a 5i or 4h bump and run when under trees, which is often.

You guys inspired me - just returned from a range session and 100 balls of B&R with the 8i. I haven't used that shot for years. When I went to the John Jacobs school in 2014, they taught us that the pw goes 1:1 (e.g., 10 feet in the air, 10 feet rollout, depending on green speed), 9i goes 2:1, 8i goes 3:1. I'm going to use it tomorrow when I play.
I like your motivation and willingness to work on your game. Just don't take those ratios as anything but a starting point. Those ratios will vary wildly depending on your AoA, quality of contact, acceleration, the ball you use, green speed, slope and other factors.

Last edited:
Bump and run all depends on the course. When needed, I use it.

Getting older brought it back in my game big time. Used to be wedge it from everywhere. Now depending on lie, length and situation anywhere from 8i on down.
Been thinking of adding Hybrid putting stroke also??? Been getting really close with the 8i iron, rewarding feeling... The group I play in want me stop doing that :LOL:

Not as often as I should.

I went back to the bump & run method yesterday with great success. Keep the ball out of the air & more focused on letting the ball work it’s way to the hole on the green left me more manageable putts. I ended up having only 27 putts yesterday.

I love the bump and run!

I associate this shot as one with a 7 or 8 played on longer green-side shots. I’ve always been hesitant to use it because I haven’t practiced it. Whenever we get back in grass on the range, I’ll give it a go.

I like your motivation and willingness to work on your game. Just don't take those ratios as anything but a starting point. Those ratios will vary wildly depending on your AoA, quality of contact, acceleration, the ball you use, green speed, slope and other factors.
Thanks. I remember when I first learned the multi-club technique, I got a little tired of trying to figure out which club to use. I grew weary of having to walk to my ball, size up the shot, and then getting the correct club. I also got tired of grabbing 4 or 5 clubs every time I was around the green. I think my new approach will be to use the 8i if I can B&R or the 60 if I have to flop.

I do not play it enough. It is time to start!

I use the B&R just about every round and I'm surprised others don't use it more often.
Typically used with my 8i but it's not limited to that club.

My attempt at a bump and run usually ends in a fatted shot, unfortunately. Some days are better than others though and it looks like I know what I'm doing

I practice it a lot, but only use it when I absolutely have to. I probably should play it more. I don't keep the stats but it might not be any less predictable than my average wedge shot.

I use it when I can. I'll use 4 iron through PW, depending on the conditions. Low risk shot. I took a few lessons for it too.

My buddy does it with hybrids, very successfully I might add.

Back