Do you use the bump and run?

If you stand closer to the ball - more of a putting stance - then your club shaft is going to be more vertical, and the toe will touch the ground before the heel. It's a good setup for these type of shots.
THanks. so the key is closer to the ball, and not really a pronounced toe down. I'll try it next time im at the practice area.

If you stand closer to the ball - more of a putting stance - then your club shaft is going to be more vertical, and the toe will touch the ground before the heel. It's a good setup for these type of shots.
exactly. The ball comes off a bit knuckly as well. So it wont check or skid as much. So you can chip/putt it.

This thread got me thinking. Many may not remember but Tiger when he was pretty young on tour. He would bump and run and with a 3 wood all the time.

THanks. so the key is closer to the ball, and not really a pronounced toe down. I'll try it next time im at the practice area.

Yeah it is more putting stroke the chip or pitch stroke.

Yeah it is more putting stroke the chip or pitch stroke.
I do the putting stroke with the bump I described above, so maybe I'm already doing a version of the toe down and didn't know it.

I do not play this shot often and the number 1 reason is that I just don't practice it enough so its a confidence issue. I was trying to put in play a little more this year and had some success but also failures, definitely need to practice it more.

I prefer to hit everything off the heel.

Shank you very much.

FWIW, most of what I see out on the course are players taking a wedge and then attempting to hit a high bump and run. By that I mean a 'good' chip from their perspective is one they don't blade or chunk, rather the ball flies 1/2 to 2/3 of the distance to the hole then runs out because it doesn't have much spin.

I looooove a good bump and run with my gap wedge!

I need to learn, use, and get comfortable with this shot. When there is no trouble in front, it just makes sense. One shot I really want to develop in 2021. No more being stubborn!

I need to get more consistent doing this. It saves you so many strokes when you're not a great chipper.

FWIW, most of what I see out on the course are players taking a wedge and then attempting to hit a high bump and run. By that I mean a 'good' chip from their perspective is one they don't blade or chunk, rather the ball flies 1/2 to 2/3 of the distance to the hole then runs out because it doesn't have much spin.
To me, that's a plain ol' chip. Bump and run is better described as "putting with loft" - the stroke is like a putting stroke and you're getting the ball on the ground and rolling as soon as possible.

If the green is open in front and the ground is firm, I prefer that shot to a lofted pitch because I have more control over it.

I walked 18 yesterday and on one hole I pulled the shot left of the green. I got lucky with a decent lie but with a tree overhanging and in the way. Instead of being able to hit my normal shot with my lob wedge I used a PW with the ball off my back foot and executed a bump in run leaving an 8 foot putt. I need to work on this more as with a LW I would have been closer to the pin. As it is, this is more of an emergency shot for me so practice is required.

Bump is my go to. Many times bumping my putter.

The tricky thing about the bump and run is the green complex itself. If the green is above you, this play can suck. If the green is super undulated, this can be just as difficult as flying it over everything. Add fast greens and ugh. I’d rather just hit myself in the shins with my putter.

I need to learn, use, and get comfortable with this shot. When there is no trouble in front, it just makes sense. One shot I really want to develop in 2021. No more being stubborn!
PLay with ball position as well. You can essentially deloft a club and play a lower bump and run by playing further back in your stance.

PLay with ball position as well. You can essentially deloft a club and play a lower bump and run by playing further back in your stance.
I will try this! Thanks!

Almost never i am terrible at it. 9/10 its blowing past the green.

My last eagle was a 52* bump and run. The Castle Course at Northern Bay Castle Course hole #11 is my home course. #11 is a very good replica of Augusta #13 Azala.
After a drive of 270 to the left side of the dogleg left I was left with the choice of 215 to the pin or layout left fairway at 175 yards.

I am not laying up! An 18* hybrid leaves me hole high on the left fringe. The pin is 55 feet with a side and downhill 10-foot break to the right. My gap wedge with the ball way back in my stance, I started the ball. At the apex of the break, I raise my hands. It has a chance. In!!!

Great. Now the rest of the story. The next hole is the Pews at Oakmount #3. I am on the green in two and looking at a 25-foot birdie putt. No Putter. I had pulled it from my bag not thinking I would hole out. I walk back to retrieve the Scotty circa #6.

What distance still counts as a bump and run?

Any distance where you're hitting a bump and run shot?
Then I did some today. From trees, with mid irons.

Honestly the most likely place for me to bump.

Back