Do you use video when practicing?

jdtox

Lord Tox
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
During this latest attempt to fix my swing I started taking video. Its a process, a lengthy one at that but the more I learn about the golf swing the more I can see wrong in my own just by taking video at the range. Do you take video at the range? IF not why?

I have. Angles can be an issue to make sure you know what you are looking at though.

Not at the range very often. But all my lessons are videotaped and is so incredibly helpful. When my swing gets off though, I do have a buddy record it, and it's amazing how quickly I can correct it now that I know what I'm looking for.

I think it's helpful if an instructor uses it to help you see an issue, but less so for self diagnosis. I've gotten better results from focusing on ball flight and swing thoughts at the range.

Trying to self-correct with video is tough, because there might be something in your swing that works for you, even if it's not exactly how you want it to look.

• Admin
I think it's helpful if an instructor uses it to help you see an issue, but less so for self diagnosis. I've gotten better results from focusing on ball flight and swing thoughts at the range.

Trying to self-correct with video is tough, because there might be something in your swing that works for you, even if it's not exactly how you want it to look.
That is a fair point, however I have noticed when trying to do something I think I'm doing right the video says otherwise. What feels wrong is actually right in some cases.

If I have someone knowledgeable watching me and videoing is easiest. I hate when someone tells me something I am doing or need to correct without seeing it.

That is a fair point, however I have noticed when trying to do something I think I'm doing right the video says otherwise. What feels wrong is actually right in some cases.
I totally agree with this. Feel and real can be very different when you are trying to make a pretty big change. I was laid off at the top and wanted to try to get more upright. With out video the feel for me was I was way across the line at the top. The video showed I was in better position than I thought. I have some contraption I can hook to my golf bag and alignment rod to shoot video with Iphone if I want to bring it out.

Haven't in the past, getting ready to take a couple lessons with a new instructor so hoping it is taped.

Haven't in the past, getting ready to take a couple lessons with a new instructor so hoping it is taped.
Same here. I really think seeing what I'm doing poorly and the correction will help me better understand what I need to do.

I do sometimes, but video needs to be treated carefully. It can be both helpful and hurtful. It’s good if you have a plan and some goals you want to accomplish.

I have used video with an instructor on multiple occasions. It was very helpful, even if hard to watch. I also like the behind perspective video view with Trackman. It replays my swing after each shot. I can often see a little bit of what I did right or wrong and correlate that with the shot outcome. The limitation is my own modest swing knowledge.

Yep. I did not use to, but I do now. I only do it once or twice a range session, but I like to check to make sure I'm doing the things I'm supposed to be doing. I will say it is important that you know the correct things to work on / focus on from a good teacher. And those are the things to look for on video.

I haven't too much in the past, but I plan to this year, I think me seeing my swing, having my pro tell me what he sees and then comparing to future videos to show progress should help me visual what I need to be working on more!

I agree with that - video definitely helps sort out feel vs. real. I just like to decide what's right vs. wrong with the help of an instructor. You can really get lost in trying to create a picture perfect swing without getting any meaningful results on the course.

Not near enough. My last coach used videos of my swing to help me learn what my common tendencies are and how to fix them. I don't know if it's stubbornness or laziness but I try to swing through an issue versus just getting a video and analyzing

Adding to this. When I was getting rolling with golf a few years back, I would take video of my swing with my phone and a gorillapod. The sad and hilarious reality of those videos is that I had no idea what I was looking for. I couldn't tell what was right or wrong in my swing. But I diligently did my job. :unsure:

had video lessons long ago. Have not used that process for a while.

I do pretty frequently. If something is off it’s pretty simple to spot.

I even use a phone and tablet to view my swing in real time without hitting balls. The phone camera is set up down the line and the iPad is on the ground in front of me so I can stay in most of the swing positions and still see the camera view. It really helps to establish how positions should feel to me.

I had one lesson where video was taken. Probably 30 years ago.

Myself, I never have used video when practicing. In fact in all the times spent in practice areas, I can't ever remember seeing anyone else videoing their own practice.

Personally, I wouldn't know what to look for in my own swing if I were to look at it. However, watching my ball flight will give me tons of info on what I am doing right.....or wrong. Mostly wrong.

Never have, but curiosity has gotten be a few times where I wonder what my swing looks like. Maybe one of these days I will give it a try.

I took some videos recently. It's good on one hand to see what you're actually doing, but a little disheartening sometimes when you feel like you are further along than you actually are haha

I don’t but really need to. I think it’s more about being that guy on the range video taping himself. At this point I need to join the rest as I learned a lot about my swing from the one lesson I took years ago.

I take videos constantly. Range, course, whatever. I don't have launch monitors or good swing coaches in my area so I have to work on adjustments myself a lot. I have pretty good hands and can create positive outcomes from a lot of different positions and timing sequences, so seeing if I'm actually doing what I'm trying to do (or not), the way I want to do it, or implementing the changes I want is pretty vital. And with some of the physical things I fight, seeing how and when and why I compensate is doubly so. That's why I started taking them to begin with.

I'm so over that @mmaynard11 . I do it on course a lot, and that gets some looks. I mean, it probably gets you less judgement from people if you're pretty good, because they think you're working on your swing instead of just instagramming it (or THP'ing it :/), but who cares either way. Nobody's life but yours.

@McLovin That's part of why I started posting them here. Hate what I see sometimes, but I figure if I just throw it out there for the world (thp) to see, I'm one step closer to accepting it. Accepting the problems to solve them type of thing. Hopefully.

sidenote - You (I) might have a problem when you're looking to spend more on a new phone that you don't like the shape, size, or weight of just for taking better videos of yourself swinging a golf club though. Haven't decided.

Last edited:
@OldandStiff when they see me knocking down pins they will know I’m not Instagramming...well then again maybe I am. ???

yes how do you know if your doing it right with out videos.

Back