Does your playing partners affect your scoring

T2GRN18

Reaction score
Handicap
If you play with people that normally score well, do you find yourself playing better. Or vise versa. Or do you just do you and keep on getting on.

I do me, and just play my game. Playing partner's attitudes will matter though.

I try to just play my game. In the practice round for #TheCup, a lot of the guys were a lot longer than me off the tee and I caught myself swinging harder and a little out of control, I settled down and just golfed my ball and was fine after that.

That's a great point. Attitude is everything.

Always, It's something I try to remember when my game has taken a vacation to a warm sunny spot without me. I try to make sure I'm having fun and being supportive of my partners.

I play my game. I do seem to score better when playing with better players, but I think that is a focus/motivation thing for me.

But playing with guys who are struggling, whether with their game or their attitude, I've grown immune to.

Yes. I always play my best when playing with gr8 players and normally those who play quick and with money on the line. I remember a round with Wes short Jr. Omar uresti and John Sosa. U know the first 2 names but the 3rd name was the stud. Number 1 player on UT golf team when Justin Leonard came in and the 2nd best player to come out of Ausyin after Ben. Third if u count Spieth being an Austinite. Anyway, I played very well that round. I only lost by 9 strokes as Wes shot 65 Omar 66 and John 65 but I shot 74 from tips as a 7 HC and I still consider it the best round of my life even tho I have many lower scores

I find that if I'm playing with someone who is really struggling, and especially if they are getting angry, it will take me off my game and I'll struggle too.

I think it all depends but I think so. I think days that I'm "on" and I'm playing sharp it doesn't make a huge difference but when I'm not as sharp I think it makes a difference. When the guy next to me is hitting good shots and scoring well it tends to motivate me and find the concentration needed to play well. When everyone is playing poor I just kinda say eff it and not care as much unfortunately.

100% agreed with the others about attitude having more of an impact than scoring. I've played with single digits and 25+ handicaps and my scoring's always been relatively consistent(ly bad).

But when I'm with someone who's throwing clubs, screaming and swearing, that does wear on me.

I try to just play my game. In the practice round for #TheCup, a lot of the guys were a lot longer than me off the tee and I caught myself swinging harder and a little out of control, I settled down and just golfed my ball and was fine after that.

I tend to fall into the trap of trying to chase the long ball from time to time.

I have learned to try and just play my game. If there is good conversation and fun being had I typically enjoy myself more and play better. I don't care if you are struggling that doesn't bother me we have all been there, but if club throwing or general bad attitudes are present it gets to me.

I tend to fall into the trap of trying to chase the long ball from time to time.

It's easy to do when those young fellers are knocking by you.

I don't care what the play is like but attitude does for sure. When someone gets super upset over a period of time it takes a lot of life out of the round and it is hard for me to stay focused on my game.

If someone has no etiquette I struggle as well.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Ive spent most of the last 6 years playing with better (much) golfers that me so I dont think that phases me too much and is usually no different than playing with high caps.

Now if someone has a bad attitude or isnt enjoying themself like Ron said its hard to stay focused

It's easy to do when those young fellers are knocking by you.
There aren't many young bucks that put it out past Kev lol.

I'm starting to notice that I play better when I am playing with people who are really good golfers or take the game seriously. If I am playing with people who aren't playing well or are getting upset, my play declines.

If someone is being a dink I tend to stay on opposite side of the fairway. If someone is playing well, I usually will buckle down and focus more.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Like Ron, 441 and a few others have said, attitude really is main thing for me. I don't mind playing with golfers that are better or worse then me. I like the challenge of playing with golfers that are better with me. But if someone is having a tough round and is miserable, it can make the round tough.

I think it all depends but I think so. I think days that I'm "on" and I'm playing sharp it doesn't make a huge difference but when I'm not as sharp I think it makes a difference. When the guy next to me is hitting good shots and scoring well it tends to motivate me and find the concentration needed to play well. When everyone is playing poor I just kinda say eff it and not care as much unfortunately.

Dude I saw you put up a 69 at Caledonia. Then I saw something less than desirable. I'll take credit for the 69 but not the "other" hahaha

I think I play best when I golf by myself - it's a constant environment and it allows me to focus on my golf in ways that are tough when golfing with others.

I don't mind playing with strangers - first 3-4 holes I usually play great as I slow down and play smarter. After that, I tend to fall in with the attitude of the group. If they aren't that good it becomes hard to take my game seriously and I get a little sloppy. If they are super competitive, I'll get that way, probably too much. My favorite is to play with golfers that take their game seriously, are supportive but not super competitive. That tends to inspire the best play.

I enjoy playing with golfers that score well and have a positive attitude even if they hit a bad shot every now and then. It doesn't effect my own score at all, but I don't enjoy playing with the sort of person that gets frustrated and always cusses when he hits bad shots. We all hit bad shots. The important thing is not to let it get us frustrated because when we are frustrated we won't do well.

Great question! I tend to play better, because I focus more. I want to be competitive and hopefully learn something about myself and game. I try to play my own game and play to my strengths.

I think when I play with better players I stay more focused and generally play better!

Pace, attitude and mannerisms will affect me long before any instance of poor play. By mannerisms, I mean if someone takes a multitude of practice swings before the next duffed shot, rinse & repeat, that may have an affect on me over time. Distraction more than anything.

Back