Don't get Hot and in a Hurry to Finish

glenncal1

Reaction score
Handicap
20 before
Number 18, 150 par 3, playing about 140. OK 8 iron. It is currently about 95, no wind, there is cold beer just beyond the green. Make a great swing, hit ball solid, it flies the pin, the far side of the green and lands about 8 yards off the green (right over the pin). I say to myself and partners, "Boy I really nuked that 8 iron." Then I looked at the club, pulled the 7. DOH!! Was thinking too much about the beer and not enough about the golf. At least I hit the ball good. :banghead::banghead:

Don't feel bad. I had a short chip onto 10 back in May that was makeable for an eagle. It was 83 F outside which is hot up here and it was hot up here. I took out my pitching wedge and landed a beautiful little runner that barely missed the hole and ran all the way off the other side of the green and into the rough, and put my 6 iron back in the bag. WTF? Why did I have a 6 iron? I wondered why it didn't check. Why didn't I notice the difference in length? I ended up with a bogey.

I somehow mistook my 5 iron for my 8 today, lined up and swung away, literally the best 5 iron swing I've had in awhile, waaaay to long for the hole I was on but great connection.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

I did the same thing with a 5 iron instead of an 8 iron. Led to a double bogey.
Alcohol had been involved, but it was left over from the night before - we played at 8:30 am, my mis-club was on the third hole!!

I did the same thing with a 5 iron instead of an 8 iron. Led to a double bogey.
Alcohol had been involved, but it was left over from the night before - we played at 8:30 am, my mis-club was on the third hole!!
Jinx
I somehow mistook my 5 iron for my 8 today, lined up and swung away, literally the best 5 iron swing I've had in awhile, waaaay to long for the hole I was on but great connection.

I don't know why anyone wants to hurry up and finish. When I'm on 18 I'm always sad the round (and golf for the day) is over :(

Number 18, 150 par 3, playing about 140. OK 8 iron. It is currently about 95, no wind, there is cold beer just beyond the green. Make a great swing, hit ball solid, it flies the pin, the far side of the green and lands about 8 yards off the green (right over the pin). I say to myself and partners, "Boy I really nuked that 8 iron." Then I looked at the club, pulled the 7. DOH!! Was thinking too much about the beer and not enough about the golf. At least I hit the ball good. :banghead::banghead:
On Sunday my dad hut a horrible iron shot, fat as can be. Puts his club away and says, thank God for that, that was a 6 not a 9.

Just as an aside, on a hot 95 degree day, may I suggest that one forgo the beer and drinks plenty of water. Save the beer for the 19th hole, because it can dehydrate you while playing.

Yes the 18th hole on this course is above the 19th, so from the tee you have a perfect view of the bar and patio. That is what was getting my attention, drank a lot of water on the course, but it was father's day and about 430 and I was really looking forward to that cold beer. To the detriment of my game. :drinks:

It happens every now and again, but it's probably one of the most important things I check and double check.

If you drink during the round you won't have this problem

On Sunday my dad hut a horrible iron shot, fat as can be. Puts his club away and says, thank God for that, that was a 6 not a 9.

I have done that way too many times.

I don't know why anyone wants to hurry up and finish. When I'm on 18 I'm always sad the round (and golf for the day) is over :(

This is exactly what I was going to say. I actually slow down on 17 and 18 so I can make the round last a touch longer :)

Back