Don't know when I'll play golf again dut to Wife's injury.

love her well. golf is a silly game. but love is love. wishing you and your sweet wife all the health and happiness you deserve.

Hope for happiness and health for you both.

Thursday the 1st of October Melba fell in the living room and fractured the head of her right femur. Replacement surgery went well Sunday. She's been in Rehabilitation since the 6th of October and was released to home last Friday. She was also diagnosed with possible dementia while in rehab. I'm not surprised with the dementia preliminary diagnosis since I've witnessed her diminished mental state since early this year. She's 80 and I'm 76. These last few days have been traumatic with the nurse, phy therapist and other folks from the rehabilitation facility coming to the house and bombarding me with way too much information all at once.. The future looks to not have golf in it. There's no way I could play a round of golf and not have her health and welfare on my mind and therefore not be able to concentrate on golf. I've played this wonderful game for 61 years and loved every minute of it. Right now it looks to be over, but the near future may be brighter. Possible having a care worker be with her for 5 hours while I play, but that would greatly reduce the amount of golf I could play. We'll see....................

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good luck my friend and hoping for a speedy and full recovery.

Prayers. I am seeing the same mental declines with my wife, 78. No formal diagnosis. For better or worse, so I will be there for her.

Best wishes to you and your wife, @Mach2!

I wish you the best, it's a terrible thing to have to go through to watch our loved ones health impacted. We will keep you all in our thoughts and prayers.

Hope your wife gets better - I've always enjoyed your posts as a inspiration that I have many more years of golf and golf clubs to go!

Fingers crossed for Melba pards.

Just make sure that you take care of you while you are helping the good wife because it makes a world of difference. It's not selfish to take 5 hours for yourself at all, and every good doctor will tell you this.

Prayers for both of you. Knot Right makes a great point - most times, care is harder on the caregiver than the patient, so you need to take care of yourself. My mother-in-law came all the way back from a broken hip at 88, and while she's not what she used to be mentally, she's better today than she was a year ago.

Wishing you good luck. We're in one of the many over 55 parks while in Fl each year and see this type situation way too often. Try to take care her and yourself as best you can, not an easy thing. Again wishing you good luck.

Thoughts and prayers for both you & Melba. Take care of her as she would you.

vert sorry.

Update. Melba saw the Orthopedic Dr. today about her wrist. She flat broke it, right at the forearm to wrist hinge. The reason for no cast initially was Doctors now splint a fracture due to post cast install swelling and then after the swelling subsides there too much room in the cast. She received a cast today for the next 3 weeks. 3 more weeks in the wheelchair, umphhhh. Lots of lifting for 3 more weeks. The 3 times a week Phy Therapy is really working with her hip. I also do her same PT exercises the other days. Things are getting better slowly though, but getting better.

I want all of you to know how much I appreciate the get wells and positive comments you've made. The Brotherhood of us THP golfers is most gracious and appreciated. (y)

Really sorry man. Thoughts and prayers with you.

Update. Melba saw the Orthopedic Dr. today about her wrist. She flat broke it, right at the forearm to wrist hinge. The reason for no cast initially was Doctors now splint a fracture due to post cast install swelling and then after the swelling subsides there too much room in the cast. She received a cast today for the next 3 weeks. 3 more weeks in the wheelchair, umphhhh. Lots of lifting for 3 more weeks. The 3 times a week Phy Therapy is really working with her hip. I also do her same PT exercises the other days. Things are getting better slowly though, but getting better.

I want all of you to know how much I appreciate the get wells and positive comments you've made. The Brotherhood of us THP golfers is most gracious and appreciated. (y)
All right! Any improvement is a good improvement! It may not seem like it when you're staring it in the face the whole time because you're right there up close ans personal. But you're giving an update and it's good to hear.

Once she's mobile and not in so much pain, maybe you could take her with you on a golf outing. Just hit the putting green or something, Give her a comfy chair to sit in... even if it's for a few minutes, she's outside in the sun getting some Vitamin D, you're together, you're golfing.

Don't mind me, I'm just babbling.

I hope your wife continues to improve!

Glad to hear the hip therapy is working, hope the improvement continues!

Update on Melba. Yesterday went to the Ortho Dr. about having the cast on her broken left wrist removed. They want to keep it on for 3 more weeks. :mad:(n) She's using the walker to scoot around the house and we do her PT exercises 3 to 3 times a day and still have PT therapist twice a week. Here's a pic of her and Cisco in his Protect Mom attitude.

Melba n Cisco.jpg

Thanks so much for the update! You'll want her to have that cast on only once, even if it is longer. Glad to hear she is progressing. As importantly, how are YOU doing? Are you taking good care of yourself as well?

I wish you and your wife all the best and hope your wife's recovery goes fast.

Thanks so much for the update! You'll want her to have that cast on only once, even if it is longer. Glad to hear she is progressing. As importantly, how are YOU doing? Are you taking good care of yourself as well?
Not well actually. It's been a tough road so far, Life changed HUGE on Ocober 1st when she fell. It's been almost 24/7 since then. I take Cisco for a walk in the mornings and really enjoy being away for a half hour. We have a park where we walk to and I love that short time. It'll get better after the cast is removed and she gets more self reliant mobility wise.

Thoughts and well wishes are with you and your wife.

Prayers again.

Back