Dr. Kwon youtube channel - before and after with 2 step drills.

I am going to give it a couple of range sessions using what we know of Dr. Kwon's methods. But a couple of things tell me that I won't gain 5 mph right off the bat. :ROFLMAO: My instructor already uses some of Dr. Kwon's methods (or they look very similar) but the Doc explains it in more detail.

I did try using it today. Hit about 200 balls. Did some stage 3, 2, and Stage 1 swings. It took a while to incorporate everything. It took time to grow accustomed to using the obliques instead of swinging the arms and kicking the lead foot. I had a tendency to swing the arms - I think the arms/wrists come in somewhere in the Doc's swing but we haven't heard much. The re-centering was tough - if you did not do that, it was Fat City.

The numbers I saw were similar to what I've been doing with Stack. It will take a few sessions to learn to max out the obliques, etc. and build a new pattern. What I saw on the range with range balls looked like a much higher flight - more spin. The descent angle looked almost straight down in 8-PW. Irons felt more powerful. The driver was more of a mid-high line drive instead of a high flight. We will see. Weather doesn't look good the remainder of the weekend. Need to check the weather for next week.

I've been watching his videos and am starting to incorporate some of it into my exercise thoughts. I do a lot of kettlebell and pull up work. Golf swing tends to get really wrist flipping. I really think this could help.

I've been watching his videos and am starting to incorporate some of it into my exercise thoughts. I do a lot of kettlebell and pull up work. Golf swing tends to get really wrist flipping. I really think this could help.

Keep on reading, it gets better.

I believe we are on the right track here.

Keep on reading, it gets better.

I believe we are on the right track here.
It gets wordy but its a full explanation and function.

Well - it is much to late for these two great players , but someone needs to get to Rahm, Sergio, Tiger and many other players on tour who ‘s right elbow immediately drops down to their right hip area from the very top of their DS !
It is much more reliable to use your own skills of observation than believing everything you are told !!!!!
Proof attached below —-

Attachments

• 8C49B915-A3FB-44F0-A9AA-F5FBFDE75E4A.jpeg
    8C49B915-A3FB-44F0-A9AA-F5FBFDE75E4A.jpeg
    128.2 KB · Views: 0
  • B52224C4-91F5-4DE7-B65F-97B7A1368296.jpeg
    B52224C4-91F5-4DE7-B65F-97B7A1368296.jpeg
    143.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 3312FC43-F313-43A0-A28C-2289E6CC3969.jpeg
    3312FC43-F313-43A0-A28C-2289E6CC3969.jpeg
    131 KB · Views: 1
  • 41E70DC6-5312-4917-90FC-141FC669EC5A.jpeg
    41E70DC6-5312-4917-90FC-141FC669EC5A.jpeg
    60.1 KB · Views: 1
Your point is made in a one dimensional image in a three dimensional world. I can assure you their body will initially turn to get to that position.

I never used a kettlebell until I watched Kwon's videos. I ordered a 10lb about a week ago and have been using it. I like how Kwon tells his students to keep the arms close to the body to force the lower body movement and the kettlebell will follow the right path.

I have been doing the kettlebell and working with the rope drill and have noticed that my swing path is getting more ingrained. The more I do the drills and separate them the more it feels like I don't have to think about the swing as much now.

I am hoping to get down to my sim this week and see if my swing path feels more natural instead of forcing it with my hands and my arms. I have always been more of a hands and arms swinger and not using enough of my lower body like I should.

I never used a kettlebell until I watched Kwon's videos. I ordered a 10lb about a week ago and have been using it. I like how Kwon tells his students to keep the arms close to the body to force the lower body movement and the kettlebell will follow the right path.

I have been doing the kettlebell and working with the rope drill and have noticed that my swing path is getting more ingrained. The more I do the drills and separate them the more it feels like I don't have to think about the swing as much now.

I am hoping to get down to my sim this week and see if my swing path feels more natural instead of forcing it with my hands and my arms. I have always been more of a hands and arms swinger and not using enough of my lower body like I should.

Good luck. Initially, it's different with a ball at address and a club in your hand. But stay with it.

I'm giving myself a couple of months to get the separation right and the arms out of it.

My primary workout consist of 2 53lbs kettlebells and a pull up bar. I have to avoid the battle rope during golf season. Talk about arm swing.

My primary workout consist of 2 53lbs kettlebells and a pull up bar. I have to avoid the battle rope during golf season. Talk about arm swing.

My KB workout is 26 and 35 lbs and the workout is a killer. Seriously, the first time I did it, I had a heart attack ... 12 yrs ago. Bit down on some aspirin and lived. Had my son drive me by the hospital and chest pain subsided. I said, I'm okay. Let's go home." A year later ... some surgery after I drove myself to the hospital after playing 9 holes.

Some people have naturally different elbow movements in the backswing and downswing so I don't think elbow in front of hip might suit all golfers.

Look at Lexi for example who doesn't have her elbow in front of her hip and I think its something that comes quite natural to her.

Look at video below and Justin Thomas's trail shoulder vs elbow position at club parallel in the downswing at 1:12 but he doesn't get the elbow stuck because his arms are more outstretched from his body in the late downswing. He has a very similar hip spinning pelvic motion to that LPGA player in the recent 'Be Better Golf' video .

Personally , I cannot get the right elbow leading my trail hand in the downswing in front of my hip because I cannot crunch my right side (spine can't handle it).

Imho, if you swing perpetually , your right elbow will sit naturally where it should .

PS. Dr Kwon could be correct that the step drills won't work if that LPGA players elbow movement is stuck behind her . It might be a bit risky changing her elbow movement if its something she already does naturally. Imho , if he cured her right hip spin in the early downswing , then her elbow might not get stuck behind her.

Last edited:
My KB workout is 26 and 35 lbs and the workout is a killer. Seriously, the first time I did it, I had a heart attack ... 12 yrs ago. Bit down on some aspirin and lived. Had my son drive me by the hospital and chest pain subsided. I said, I'm okay. Let's go home." A year later ... some surgery after I drove myself to the hospital after playing 9 holes.
My workouts consist of 2 35lbs 2 44lbs and a pair of 53lbs. I used to do really high reps now just methodical for strength. A lot of variation to be had even with one bell. My trap muscles grow insane so I do pull ups for balancing lol

My workouts consist of 2 35lbs 2 44lbs and a pair of 53lbs. I used to do really high reps now just methodical for strength. A lot of variation to be had even with one bell. My trap muscles grow insane so I do pull ups for balancing lol

You remind me of my 30 yr old son with that work ethic

You remind me of my 30 yr old son with that work ethic
I don’t have the diet discipline to get the results to show the work. Hot Tamales, pizza and random fast food from a gas station working all night.

I don’t have the diet discipline to get the results to show the work. Hot Tamales, pizza and random fast food from a gas station working all night.

He's out of the States at the moment - Work, working out, whiskey, golf.

Some people have naturally different elbow movements in the backswing and downswing so I don't think elbow in front of hip might suit all golfers.

Look at Lexi for example who doesn't have her elbow in front of her hip and I think its something that comes quite natural to her.

Look at video below and Justin Thomas's trail shoulder vs elbow position at club parallel in the downswing at 1:12 but he doesn't get the elbow stuck because his arms are more outstretched from his body in the late downswing. He has a very similar hip spinning pelvic motion to that LPGA player in the recent 'Be Better Golf' video .

Personally , I cannot get the right elbow leading my trail hand in the downswing in front of my hip because I cannot crunch my right side (spine can't handle it).

Imho, if you swing perpetually , your right elbow will sit naturally where it should.

My elbow does not sit naturally. But if you do the Kwon, I guess it's best not to do the flying elbow. When I lead with the elbow and relaxed arms, good things happen for me.

But yes, people play great golf with a flying elbow. I don't.:oops:

:LOL:

If only we could go back in time and find the person who came up with this ugly , repulsive worn out old incorrect myth , “ don’t get the club stuck behind you ,” and ban him or her from forever giving golf swing advice?
The golf swing is a rotational task on an inclined arc/ plane somewhere between a Ferris Wheel and a Merry- go- Round - some flat- some more upright . ALL are powered by the rotation / turning of the torso/ inner circle.
ALL great players have one thing in common —- ** the lever was and is ALWAYS behind their torso during their DS - never ahead !
AND - keeping our HANDS and ARMS close to our body during the DS is critical to maintaining balance . It insures that our auto- balance
mechs do not engage and ruin our swing .
The Dog wags the tail !

Thank goodness Ben Hogan didn’t fall for that crap or we might not have ever heard of his name ——

Attachments

• 51403CF3-09C1-4D6F-A263-2694CCB39023.jpeg
    51403CF3-09C1-4D6F-A263-2694CCB39023.jpeg
    15.4 KB · Views: 2
You must be built like the Rock...wow. 53lb kettlebell? I think my arms would simply break in half!

If only we could go back in time and find the person who came up with this ugly , repulsive worn out old incorrect myth , “ don’t get the club stuck behind you ,” and ban him or her from forever giving golf swing advice?
The golf swing is a rotational task on an inclined arc/ plane somewhere between a Ferris Wheel and a Merry- go- Round - some flat- some more upright . ALL are powered by the rotation / turning of the torso/ inner circle.
ALL great players have one thing in common —- ** the lever was and is ALWAYS behind their torso during their DS - never ahead !
AND - keeping our HANDS and ARMS close to our body during the DS is critical to maintaining balance . It insures that our auto- balance
mechs do not engage and ruin our swing .
The Dog wags the tail !
This is the Kwon thread and we do not want it derailed. We have invested quite a bit in these posts and sharing each other's experiences so we can grow. You have been proven wrong so many times with your narrow view, so please just go somewhere else to push your agenda.

You have caused a number of threads to be closed and this thread is important to some of us. Since you hate what Kwon teaches and what we share, you can at least show some respect and not ruin it for the rest of us.

My elbow does not sit naturally. But if you do the Kwon, I guess it's best not to do the flying elbow. When I lead with the elbow and relaxed arms, good things happen for me.

But yes, people play great golf with a flying elbow. I don't.:oops:

:LOL:
I was thinking about how Kwon was working with the girl's elbow issues. It was mainly because she could not get her elbow out front of her and the schematics showed it was locked in behind where it needed to be. I think that some can do this ok because they can get the elbow around properly whereas others cannot.

Back earlier in 2021 I was putting my elbow right at my hip to correct my swing path with my driver. It worked but wound up causing other issues. I realized I was trying to correct swing flaws instead of doing what should be a smooth swing plane as Kwon was showing the young lady.

One thing I have to watch is pulling my arms in toward my body too much which causes me to mishit too much. If I can keep them extended I am good to go, but I think that is because of something I do in my setup. Probably distance to the ball type of thing. The Kwon drills should help me get out of even noticing that anymore. At least I am hopeful they do.

Thank goodness Ben Hogan didn’t fall for that crap or we might not have ever heard of his name ——

Please stop posting. You had the other thread closed. To make clear, Kwon or Clements or anyone else doesn't say the elbow goes far in front of the body with space -- it goes along the front of the ribcage and along the chest. Arms and hands are in.

This is not your method of swinging, so stop. Start your own arms-driven thread. But we like this thread and you threaten it getting locked up. Do not respond to this post or any other post. Do not post here. Thx.

Last edited:

Imho, if you swing perpetually , your right elbow will sit naturally where it should .

PS. Dr Kwon could be correct that the step drills won't work if that LPGA players elbow movement is stuck behind her . It might be a bit risky changing her elbow movement if its something she already does naturally. Imho , if he cured her right hip spin in the early downswing , then her elbow might not get stuck behind her.

Looking at Thomas, it's more of an arms-driven swing, not Kwon. Many different ways to play this game that work. My son has an instructor that teaches this way, and it's easier, not a lot of hips going back, a lot of swinging arms, not necessarily a lot of connection in downswing but arms outstretch. Not a ton of chest movement until right before impact. It's great to watch. Just another way.

As to Kwon, that might work, but I think it would be more difficult to time the hip spin than just checking her grip to see if the meat of her right hand is separating from the grip or just developing the habit of leading slightly more with the right elbow.:unsure: But you make a good point. I think she (and we) are so concerned with speeding up the lower body first for speed and separation that looking at the elbow first may be worthwhile.

Last edited:
I'm not sure whether JT is an arm driven swinger because at the top of his backswing , he gets his weight pressure immediately onto his left foot and literally jumps off the floor . So I think he's using ground reaction forces in some form to assist in the swinging of his arms. How grfs might end up increasing clubhead speed is still hypothetical until they do more research. I don't know if they cause the arms/club to swing faster or just create the circumstances for the arms to be able to move faster (ie. get the body out of the way quicker to allow allow the golfer to move their arms quicker). For example, if I can't get my body out of the way , then I can't swing my arms faster because they have an obstruction in front of them (chicken and egg situation).

I'm hoping Dr Kwon will publish some more videos to support his theory that lower body grfs are a causation of clubhead speed or just an indicator. Shawn Clement seems to believe that it's the butt acting like some counterbalance that powers and slings the arms/club unit like a 'Trebuchet' .

I'm not sure whether JT is an arm driven swinger because at the top of his backswing , he gets his weight pressure immediately onto his left foot and literally jumps off the floor . So I think he's using ground reaction forces in some form to assist in the swinging of his arms. How grfs might end up increasing clubhead speed is still hypothetical until they do more research. I don't know if they cause the arms/club to swing faster or just create the circumstances for the arms to be able to move faster (ie. get the body out of the way quicker to allow allow the golfer to move their arms quicker). For example, if I can't get my body out of the way , then I can't swing my arms faster because they have an obstruction in front of them (chicken and egg situation).

I'm hoping Dr Kwon will publish some more videos to support his theory that lower body grfs are a causation of clubhead speed or just an indicator. Shawn Clement seems to believe that it's the butt acting like some counterbalance that powers and slings the arms/club unit like a 'Trebuchet' .

Some peeps use a hybrid swing. And yes, he uses the ground - he must to get more speed at his limited size against the other guys. As we all know, there are many ways to swing a club. But even on an arms-driven swing you need to get to the front side to support the arms. I watch and listen to my son's instructor who teaches the arms-driven swing - I feel like I'm listening to the guy here who wants to close threads. They are adamant that this is the only (most efficient) way. :unsure: I don't know. Each of us have our own path, a different journey. Makes it fun for discussion.

You must be built like the Rock...wow. 53lb kettlebell? I think my arms would simply break in half!
I worked out hard every morning. But not with that kind of weight. If I did that I be headed directly to Ketel 1.

Back