Driver Change in the bag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

amollerud

Reaction score
Handicap
+1.8
Well as most of you know I have gone somewhat independent until I find a new staff deal. It has been fun trying different gear and putting the bag together with the clubs I feel work the best for me. I have trying out many shafts for the big stick and found the shaft I wanted to play. The next step was finding the driver head I wanted to play.

After a couple of months of trying anything that I could get my hands on I made my choice. I have gone with the Srixon ZTX! This club is a beast! I have picked up about 12-15 yards off of the tee. On top of that I find that this club is easier to work. I feel so much confidence with this thing. The last round I played with it I 7 cuts and 7 draws off of the tees to give it a real test.
I hit 13 of 14 fairways.

I was amazed at how solid this thing feels. I am very happy with the new weapon! As the bag or a staff deal changes I will keep you up to date and get a signature back up.

If you haven't hit this driver yet give it a shot the next time you are out shopping. This is the real deal!

Very cool Andy. Curious which shaft you went with and how you picked the right one before picking the right head. I pretty much did it backwards from that and still don't have the shaft I want. 13 of 14 fairways is beyond my comprehension, well done.

Last edited:
Re: Driver Change in the bag.

I'm not surprised to read this. At the thp outing I hit the ztx 5w and it was a beast too. That was the first time I've hit a Srixon club and I was impressed.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Thedue...I have a Nickent evlover that I was putting shafts into. I found 1 that gave me great numbers. So I kept that shaft to the side. The Srixon comes with a Diamana Blue board as a stock option. I found that a shaft that shouldn't fit me that works perfect. I now game the Diamana Red Board with flower band that I have tipped and butt cut to get it closer to an x flex than a stiff. It gives me the flight I want. The ZTX was giving me good numbers and more distance with the stock versus my current driver. So I put the red board in and the numbers were great and the workability is just what I was after.

Thedue...I have a Nickent evlover that I was putting shafts into. I found 1 that gave me great numbers. So I kept that shaft to the side. The Srixon comes with a Diamana Blue board as a stock option. I found that a shaft that shouldn't fit me that works perfect. I now game the Diamana Red Board with flower band that I have tipped and butt cut to get it closer to an x flex than a stiff. It gives me the flight I want. The ZTX was giving me good numbers and more distance with the stock.

Most of these terms are over my head, but just the thing I hope to learn over the course of picking a new shaft. I can visualize how the tipping would give a stiffer feel at the head to get you less kick, or delayed snap? I picked up an Evolver with 3 shafts over the winter as an after thought while Nickent was selling out and have virtually retired my R9. I like the results of my Proforce V2, low flight, yet good distance, just seem's too tip stiff for me. Good luck with the new set up, can't wait to hear where this goes.

That is the setup I was playing for close to a year...Nickent with the V2 in it. I hit a very high ball with some spin. The Red Board is a high launch shaft which shouldn't work for me, but with the weighting and the extra stiffness in the tip it fits me GREAT. I will continue to update as the bag changes.

Ive always heard good things about Srixon's clubs. Glad to hear you're happy with it.

Re: Driver Change in the bag.

Thats awesome Andy! Its gotta be great to be able to find what suits you best. Really looking forward to see what else you decide to game. Sorry if I missed (on my iphone) this but with you cutting and tippi g the shaft, did it lower the ball flight even though its a higher launching shaft?

I haven't tried the ZTX but I still play a 9.5* Srixon ZR-W with a Graffaloy Epic 68g. I've considered tinkering around with shafts but I know that the Epic is pretty fragile to pull/install so I'm leaving well enough alone. I wonder how the ZTX compares to the ZR-W?

im sorry im new to the forum what did you mean by staff deal and going independent

I am not currently staffed by any company so I am free to play what I want. The last 2 years I was on staff with Titleist and that ment I was to carry 12 of the 14 clubs from them. I thought that I had a new deal a few months ago but with the economy many companies are cutting back on the staff deals.

I haven't hit the ZR-W so I don't know how they would compare. The ZTX is a entirely different look and feel from anything that they have made in the past.

cool to hear about the driver Andy and best of luck on getting a new deal soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back