Driver Launching Too High

campilobaxter

Mustachioed Root Vegetable
Reaction score
Handicap
I've been playing in Atlanta this week while I'm here on business. The fairways are generally wetter than I'm used to in Vegas, so I get no roll. It helped me realize just how short my drives are when my carries are around 200-210. I got what I think is a booking drive only to see it barely cleared the water, for example. You can't play good golf from there, at least not from the men's tees.

In the past I learned I had a lot of dynamic loft at impact with my driver. 14-16 degrees, whereas my driver is set to 9.5. High, ballooning, spinny drives that are fairly straight, sometimes a soft fade. Very frustrating.

I don't have current video of my swing, but does anyone have any ideas what causes such a high spinny drive? I need some drills or swing thoughts or something before I give up golf (for a month).

Any ideas? TIA

I have no idea how fast you swing, but do you think you should be getting more carry?

I wonder how much the difference in course conditions plays... here in New Hampshire we have had such a wet season that even now I am getting no roll in the fairways... its been like that all spring and summer. I do hit the ball high but usually get more roll midsummer than this year. Maybe Atlanta also got a lot of rain?

op i think it can be a dangerous road to seek a reduction in peak height and carry. i don’t disagree that too much spin can rob you of distance, but the right amount of spin with a high-ish peak height can produce optimal distance.

I have no idea how fast you swing, but do you think you should be getting more carry?

Yes! I deserve it! Plus, I often hit my 3 wood as far as my driver.

op i think it can be a dangerous road to seek a reduction in peak height and carry. i don’t disagree that too much spin can rob you of distance, but the right amount of spin with a high-ish peak height can produce optimal distance.

I *think* that my issue is both a launch that is too high and a spin rate over 3000. Today combo can't be good.

Btw, for reference, my SS is ~95 with my driver.

Carry, this week in Atlanta.

I’d say hop on a monitor and grab some numbers. It could be something as simple as impact, or something easily fixable with some gear change.

Just last weekend I had had the balloon flight pop up, my instructor when I was working on it this week noticed I had let the ball creep back in my stance. Moved it forward even with my left big toe and that cured it. Check your setup.

I’ve had this in the past and it was a combination of a few things: the shaft, my swing causing me present a ton of extra loft, and a small flip. Get on a launch monitor or a video to see if there is a small flip in there that is adding loft

I'm confused. You say you know your dynamic launch angle is 14-16 degrees, but you only have a guess on your spin rate and an approximate idea of your SS. How do you know your dynamic launch angle if you haven't gotten it measured on a launch monitor, and if you have, why don't you know your other numbers?

According to your estimated SS, your dynamic loft is in the ideal range or a little low. Trackman did a study that found a dynamic loft of 15.6 to be ideal for your reported SS.

I'm confused. You say you know your dynamic launch angle is 14-16 degrees, but you only have a guess on your spin rate and an approximate idea of your SS. How do you know your dynamic launch angle if you haven't gotten it measured on a launch monitor, and if you have, why don't you know your other numbers?

According to your estimated SS, your dynamic loft is in the ideal range or a little low. Trackman did a study that found a dynamic loft of 15.6 to be ideal for your reported SS.
I was on a launch monitor about 6 months ago when I was hitting similar drives and that was the issue. Sometimes as high as 18*. I am assuming the numbers are the same right now. They could be different, of course. Mainly, I just want more distance so I'm not left hitting a 5 wood or 4 iron as my second shot in a 400 yard par 4.

I was on a launch monitor about 6 months ago when I was hitting similar drives and that was the issue. Sometimes as high as 18*. I am assuming the numbers are the same right now. They could be different, of course. Mainly, I just want more distance so I'm not left hitting a 5 wood or 4 iron as my second shot in a 400 yard par 4.
I know you can get there for sure.

I swing slightly faster than you do (not by much) but I found that the F9 driver spun way too much for me when I had my fitting earlier this year
If you can try a few other heads, you may find something that will maximise your potential carry

For me, that turned out to be the 9 degree Epic Flash Subzero, but you may find something else works better for you

Any time I am ballooning, I tee it up 1/4" lower, and it usually helps.

Any time I am ballooning, I tee it up 1/4" lower, and it usually helps.

I guess it will depend on the individuals swing, but I thought that teeing the ball lower will encourage a strike lower on the face and consequently more spin? Which would increase the spin on a lot of drivers?

I thought that it would be better to tee the ball higher to encourage the upward angle of attack and if you can hit the ball just above centre you will get the high launch / low spin shot that should maximise your distance?

I guess it will depend on the individuals swing, but I thought that teeing the ball lower will encourage a strike lower on the face and consequently more spin? Which would increase the spin on a lot of drivers?

I thought that it would be better to tee the ball higher to encourage the upward angle of attack and if you can hit the ball just above centre you will get the high launch / low spin shot that should maximise your distance?

If I am ballooning, it is because I am coming under the ball. I'm not sure if it is the correct fix, but it works for me.

I am a neutral impact player. I have not had a lot of success, on the course, swinging up on the ball. In the sim and on the range, I can mash some this way, but not enough to game that stroke yet.

Have you visited a PGA Professional for a lesson?

Could it be stance/setup/ball placement issue i.e ball being too forward? Try moving it back an inch our two?

I swing slightly faster than you do (not by much) but I found that the F9 driver spun way too much for me when I had my fitting earlier this year
If you can try a few other heads, you may find something that will maximise your potential carry

For me, that turned out to be the 9 degree Epic Flash Subzero, but you may find something else works better for you

Crap, you might be right. I was specifically fit for this F9 as part of the Morgan Cup, but of course I wasn't putting it up against other drivers (except my F8+). As much as I love the F9, I can't say that it is the perfect driver for me because I haven't checked the rest.

Have you visited a PGA Professional for a lesson?

Most recently in March. He didn't find anything too crazy going on, but things could have changed.

I have nothing new of worth to add, but I'm really confused how a high spinny drive gets a bunch of roll in Vegas compared to Atlanta. I mean, a soft or wet fairway isn't going to have as much roll obviously, but really high spinny drives don't normally roll much to begin with. ?

If you're suddenly hitting higher spinnier drives, like a couple other said, I'd look at your alignment first. Placement in your stance might be off.

Back