Driver Off The Deck

I think the main reason I'm more consistent with driver off deck than a conventional 3 wood is probably quite simple. When you look down at a 3 wood you think you can smash it miles with ease!

When you look down at a driver off the deck you're just praying you hit the clubface! So you slow down and swing with sensible tempo!

Thats my theory anyway....

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

If I was ever in a position to hit Driver off the fairway, I've probably already lost a stroke due to a mishit, etc. so the possibility of another lost stroke would outweigh any potential advantage for me. I do like @aljaklaw picture above showing an older driver size which might have made more sense for me to hit off the fairway at the time. I have an older 4W in the bag which (although I hit well off grass at the range) which I don't even hit off the fairway. Maybe that will al change in the future, but I'll need more confidence with it first.

I have hit driver off the deck exactly once. That was more than enough to convince me it is not a shot I have, nor one I plan on spending a lot of time developing.

I’ve tried it for kicks a few times with very good results. Not something I usually go but if need be I have the shot in the bag and confident with it

Recently saw both Thomas Pieters and Eddie Pepperell hitting drivers off deck into par 5s at Abu Dhabi.

Id love to know how much further that shot goes for them than a 3w....

Thoughts anyone?

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

I couldn't bring myself to try it today...even on an excellent lie on the FW :sneaky:

i can't even hit it off a tee ?

eh, I don't know, maybe in a best ball. Otherwise I'm not sure I'm risking a low percentage shot for 10-20 more yards

Never tried it. I've watched a few buddies try it, some horrible, and some success.

My fear is hitting the ground and watching the clubhead fly 60 yards in front of me.

Last time I tried was after duffing a 3 wood on a par 5, 2X in a row and I was p'o'ed. It worked better than the 3 wood that day. Way back when I had a Yonex driver that was easy to hit off the fairway.

Definitely something that is NOT in my repertoire.

Never have tried it lol not sure i ever will!

I'm a huge fan of driver off the deck, but grew up playing it always wanting an extra wedge in my bag. My thoughts are on all based on conditions, the shot and the fact I do not like to lay up.

250+ into the wind and no major trouble right or super long carry ... open the face and stance, choke down if needed and get it closer to the green or on the putting surface - pullout the anti-left club - Ben Hogan GS53 8.5* driver

I won't lie, I like the sound of @tahoebum's 12*5 fairway wood. Maybe we need to add a loft adjustment to the Ben Hogan GS53 14*FW. :unsure:

I hit driver off the deck today, but I don't do it very often. You are right, it is a lost art. We also went through a period when it was exceptionally difficult to impossible. When drivers first got to 460 cc most of them wouldn't get airborne striking them that low on the face. In the last 5 years or so, the faces have gotten hotter lower on the face due to both face and changes in weight positioning. Still, fairway metals and hybrids are much easier to hit off the deck.

So why was I hitting driver off the deck today? It was a 5-club tournament and I had an approach shot where I needed more distance than my hybrid would give me. The ball settled in 30 feet from the flag.

No, that shot isn’t in the repertoire

I would break my driver if I tried that lol

I wish I could, but nope don’t have the skills to hit a solid driver off the deck

I’ll try it from time to time if I’m left with a good lie. I hit it just as well as my 3 wood. My flat swing doesn’t help at all.

Back