SO, many have commented on the sound of the driver and how put off it is in some cases. I tend to judge a club on the results and how many fairways i can hit. I seriously could care less if it sounds like a UFO coming in for a landing if it has a slight draw down the right side and lands in the middle of the fairway.....why does the sound bother you?
Because sound IS feel.

Plus, in today’s market with what companies are doing, all companies, there is NO reason to sacrifice sound/feel for performance, you can find a driver where you get it all.

It's not my driver where the sound is bothering me. It's my 7w. There's a Clink sound when I use it. It's harsh. I don't like it but... it's not something wrong with the club. It's fine and does its job if I do mine. But the sound... it's starting to wear on me. At first I didn't notice it. Now, the more I use the club the less I like it...

It's all mental. It's paid for. But it gives me a reason to want a new one.:confused2:

I feel like @JB said it best at the mizuno event. These guys have all figured out how to design a good performing club, why can’t it sound good to?

Everyone is building good performing clubs. They are all going to play well and be right there with each other if fit well. So if performance is essentially equal. Sound becomes a determining factor.

I am not saying all drivers are the same. Or will perform the same for everyone . But everyone is putting out good products.

the makes secondary things like sound that much more important.

Last edited:
I feel like @JB said it best at the mixing event. These guys have all figured out how to design a good performing club, why can’t it sound good to?

Everyone is building good performing clubs. They are all going to play well and be right there with each other if fit well. So if performance is essentially equal. Sound becomes a determining factor.

I am not saying all drivers are the same. Or will perform the same for everyone . But everyone is putting out good products.
EVERYONE! (y)

I feel like @JB said it best at the mixing event. These guys have all figured out how to design a good performing club, why can’t it sound good to?
I had a long talk with Mike Yagley about this in the tech studio this week. He told me that it almost always comes down to poor planning and not having a backup plan. Meaning they don’t get thorough testing in beforehand, then it arrives and there is no alternative.

I had a long talk with Mike Yagley about this in the tech studio this week. He told me that it almost always comes down to poor planning and not having a backup plan. Meaning they don’t get thorough testing in beforehand, then it arrives and there is no alternative.

that makes sense. There are not many bad sounding drivers now. But they do still exist.

• Haha
Reactions: JB
This actually makes a lot of sense.

Because some sound terrible and make my ears ring. Too many good drivers, I don’t have to settle on one that sounds terrible.

Makes you wonder, does PING just not care? :LOL:

well or it is the lack of planning that @JB memtioned. Which goes back to them basically not caring about the sound. They got it so right in the G400. So they know how to.

“It’s a ping, people will buy it”.

Ping G425 says hold my beer. 😂
Is it the actual sound or the volume that people disagree with? I had one for a bit and don't remember it being excessively loud or offensive? I guess compared to the SIM2 it was loud....

Is it the actual sound or the volume that people disagree with? I had one for a bit and don't remember it being excessively loud or offensive? I guess compared to the SIM2 it was loud....

I demo'ed one that sounded like an empty Coke can. Couldn't hit it worth a damn either, probably something that didn't fit right with the stock shaft. But the sound was a dealbreaker on its own.

well or it is the lack of planning that @JB memtioned. Which goes back to them basically not caring about the sound. They got it so right in the G400. So they know how to.

“It’s a ping, people will buy it”.
That’s my bet. Because they aren’t one to lack planning, I just think they don’t care….after building a sound studio :rolleyes:

I can do most driver sounds, but the one that sounds like a wooden board striking the ball just doesn't work for me.

I like a solid crack or tink sound rather muted and soft. Not to the extreme though, like Nike Sumo . Just invigorates me more.

I'm the opposite now. I don't like the mushy sound of a Mavrik driver or Taylormade. I love the sound of my Ping G425 but I also have hotmelt in mine as well. Many others have commented after a hit a drive "I love the sound of that driver!". To me the worst sounding drivers are actually the OG Epic and the Sumo but who could forget that sound!

I already have enough hearing damage from my military days, so super loud is not on my list of sought after attributes in a driver. I prefer a sound that is solid when well struck, and different when not, but not necessarily loud. I used to play the old Cleveland HiBore XL, and a Mizuno MX-560. They were both awful to my ears. The MX-560 even earned the nickname "Flaming Blue Cowbell of Death". It was soooo obnoxious. Long and straight, but still obnoxious. It got to the point with those two that I felt like I was being punished for hitting a well struck drive. These days I'm playing TSi3, and find it to sound just right to my ear. Sounds really solid on well struck shots, and not quite as much on others.

Make it loud, doesn't bother me at all. performance is what matters, let the guys know on the adjacent fairway that I just teed off.

Driver sound is the most important attribute in a driver for me. As some have mentioned, it equates to feel. Be just as we all have important aspects from clubs, ballflight, distance, accuracy etc. the feedback from the right accoustics can be just as rewarding. I know those that just don't care what a driver or any club sounds like won't be totally able to relate to that, it's somewhat of an explanation.

Sound is feel to me just as others have mentioned. I used to get hung up on the sound of drivers, but no longer do. In fact, my warped personality has gravitated towards the off-sounding drivers lately simply for the lulz.

Fascinating that sound can rank higher when it comes to a driver. I would take performance any day. If could drive 250 FIR all day, why would sound need to matter that much? Granted I don't want something sounding like a stick of wood with a dull thud, but I can deal with most anything when it comes to outright performance. To me, performance is really the best feel I can have in a club.

SO, many have commented on the sound of the driver and how put off it is in some cases. I tend to judge a club on the results and how many fairways i can hit. I seriously could care less if it sounds like a UFO coming in for a landing if it has a slight draw down the right side and lands in the middle of the fairway.....why does the sound bother you?

In the same camp, in recent years I might add.
I was very selective of what my golf clubs looks like, sound like, when I was much younger. Was one of the last in my group to accept the jumbo 460 cc driver size. Sneakered at the "aluminum bat" sounding when the ultra light weight design moved the COV to produce higher launch angle.

With the added decades to my name, I soon forget how much I "disliked" the sound of some of the drivers and quickly accepted whichever tool that could help my game to peek into the years when I was younger.

Although, with the material and the method of construction put into the newer driver, they all sounded pretty decent.

To me it's all mental. If I like the flight and the results I can try hard enough to get by anything even if it looks like thism58880592576_1.jpg

Back