Driving Distance Survey

1. What is your average driving distance? Anywhere from 180-280 so 230 sounds right
2. How old are you? 48
3. How much do you currently weigh? 190ish
4. What is your height? 5'11"
5. How many times a week do you regularly play golf? About once
6. In addition to playing, how many times a week do you hit the driving range? Zero

1. What is your average driving distance? I don't regularly track my driver distances, but if I had to guess I'd say I average in the 290 total range.
2. How old are you? 31
3. How much do you currently weigh? 255
4. What is your height? 6'2"
5. How many times a week do you regularly play golf? 4
6. In addition to playing, how many times a week do you hit the driving range? 0

1. What is your average driving distance? Don't track it, but I'd guess around 250.
2. How old are you? 32
3. How much do you currently weigh? 165
4. What is your height? 5'9"
5. How many times a week do you regularly play golf? Once a week, if I'm lucky.
6. In addition to playing, how many times a week do you hit the driving range? 2-4x a week.

Driving Distance Survey

Distance: 240
Weight: 215
Height: 5' 10"
Frequency of play: 3x per month
Frequency of practice: Hardly ever. Once a month maybe?

I also like long walks on the beach.

1. What is your average driving distance? 225
2. How old are you? 50
3. How much do you currently weigh? 188
4. What is your height? 6'1"
5. How many times a week do you regularly play golf? 2 or 3
6. In addition to playing, how many times a week do you hit the driving range? 1

1. What is your average driving distance?
2. How old are you?
3. How much do you currently weigh?
4. What is your height?
6'4"
5. How many times a week do you regularly play golf?
once or twice, max
6. In addition to playing, how many times a week do you hit the driving range?
zero

Just a reality check and clarification. Let's make sure we're giving the AVERAGE driving distance, not the maximum. I saw some 300+ numbers out there. Just for Info:

Kevin Na - 280.3 yards, 31 years old, 167 pounds, 5.9'
Fred Couples - 292.3 yards, 55 years old, 185 pounds, 5.9'
Jason Gore - 293.6 yards, 41 years old, 245 pounds, 6'

What is your average driving distance? 275 280

How old are you? 33

How much do you currently weigh? 185

What is your height? 6'1"

How many Times a week do you play? 3-4

In addition to playing, how many times a week do you hit the driving range? 1-2

Just a reality check and clarification. Let's make sure we're giving the AVERAGE driving distance, not the maximum. I saw some 300+ numbers out there. Just for Info:

Kevin Na - 280.3 yards, 31 years old, 167 pounds, 5.9'
Fred Couples - 292.3 yards, 55 years old, 185 pounds, 5.9'
Jason Gore - 293.6 yards, 41 years old, 245 pounds, 6'

Some folks in here are #OutingApproved with their distance.

Every thread like this will always turn into a measuring contest

Some folks in here are #OutingApproved with their distance.

Every thread like this will always turn into a measuring contest
These threads are no-win. Lots of folks overestimate, but all long hitters are assumed to exaggerate. I put down 285. That's slightly below Tour average (290). My swing speed is around 114-115, slightly above the tour average (113).

I'm comfortable that I'm pretty close to that number. But many won't believe it. Fortunately, it's just the interwebs, so it doesn't really matter!

I'll take a stab. Isn't what it was, for sure.

1. What is your average driving distance? 220 ("good" balls, 240+. Average means include the one or 2 mighty duffs and slices)

2. How old are you? 51
3. How much do you currently weigh? Talking scale said "One at a time" then exploded.
4. What is your height? 5' 8.5"
5. How many times a week do you regularly play golf? Two times, Men's night in season.
6. In addition to playing, how many times a week do you hit the driving range? Nada this year. Which probably explains some scoring issues.

I'll put you in for 200lbs.

1. What is your average driving distance?

Average? Probably 250-260

2. How old are you?

3. How much do you currently weigh?

4. What is your height?

5'9

5. How many times a week do you regularly play golf?

6. In addition to playing, how many times a week do you hit the driving range?

3-4

Driving Distance Survey

These threads are no-win. Lots of folks overestimate, but all long hitters are assumed to exaggerate. I put down 285. That's slightly below Tour average (290). My swing speed is around 114-115, slightly above the tour average (113).

I'm comfortable that I'm pretty close to that number. But many won't believe it. Fortunately, it's just the interwebs, so it doesn't really matter!

I'm not calling bs on you specifically, but someone's aoa, spin, smash factor etc, could be awful compared to tour players and distance would suffer tremendously.

as far as average distances, would you count a pop up, or a chunk, or a duck hook? I wouldn't. in the same way I wouldn't count a chunk in my average 7i distance.

for people's self assessment, I think it would be awesome if this many thp'ers hit the ball that far. but I've played with some guys that are very good players, and while I've seen my fair share of them hitting it 300, it's far more likely they hit it in the 240-270 range, and 270 is absolutely smashed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not calling bs on you specifically, but someone's aoa, spin, smash factor etc, could be awful compared to tour players and distance would suffer tremendously.

as far as average distances, would you count a pop up, or a chunk, or a duck hook? I wouldn't. in the same way I wouldn't count a chunk in my average 7i distance.

for people's self assessment, I think it would be awesome if this many thp'ers hit the ball that far. but I've played with some guys that are very good players, and while I've seen my fair share of them hitting it 300, it's far more likely they hit it in the 240-270 range, and 270 is absolutely smashed.

No disagreement from me. And I knew you weren't calling me (or anyone specifically) out. My point was really that these threads are always of limited value.

As of today, 82 guys took part of the survey. What do these pictures say? There are two serious correlations between driving distance and personal stats. BMI stands for Body-Mass Index, which is a height-to-weight ratio.

1. Distance degrades as we get older, but there are exceptions.
2. Most who are seriously overweight have trouble hitting it far.

Other than that, there is no personal stat that influences driving distance positively or negatively.

What does that say? The biggest influence on driving distance is probably technique. Old or young, large or tiny, swing technique, and the properly-fitted big dog, are the best positive factors towards a longer drive. Even playing frequency does not trend toward longer drives.

Some interesting facts:

1. I'm the lightest guy, weighing in at 140 lbs, someone here weighs in at 390 lbs.
2. No females participated in the survey. (I think, I hope) Someone posted comments, but no data.
3. 77% of us are overweight, that means we need to play more golf. I don't know if that'll give us an extra pass with the wife or the boss (health reasons).
4. Oldest guy is 72, youngest guy is 23.
5. A couple of guys refused to reveal their weight, I had to guesstimate these.
6. I had to not include the 341 yards (come on).
7. There was the usual to and fro with the driving distance. I've been in both places. I've sometimes had to hit the second shot first among the foursome, and I've sometimes had to light a cigarette to wait for the other three to hit their second shots. Being the longest or shortest drive is no longer a big deal to me anymore. We all know playing golf well is not all about driving distance.
8. Of course, some other factors were not included, such as I had to rely on people's honesty on their distances. Also, geography is a big factor. One guy was kind enough to state that he was hitting at high altitudes (deduct 20%). On the other hand, the humidity in other places, like my country, is so thick you can cut it with a knife. Course conditions, terrain, and wind are other factors.

Anyway, thanks, we need to refine our technique, get a properly fitted driver, and play some more and go easy on the steaks and barbecues.

Last edited:
I'm gonna do a little experiment this weekend as my course will allow some extra time for me. I just got a range finder not long ago and this would be the perfect opportunity to use it. I will measure driver shots only and give totals for each whole plus layout, wind direction, etc. I'm curious to see if I average what I believe I do. Should OB shots be counted? If so should I just measure from where ball went OB?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

1. What is your average driving distance? 285 ish
2. How old are you? 32
3. How much do you currently weigh? 183
4. What is your height? 5'10
5. How many times a week do you regularly play golf? 2-3
6. In addition to playing, how many times a week do you hit the driving range---0

Average - 280 Age- 32 Weight - 220 Height 6 feet How many times do I play a week- For me I am once a month. Driving range visits in a week - One to three

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

1. What is your average driving distance?285
2. How old are you?37
3. How much do you currently weigh?210
4. What is your height?6"
5. How many times a week do you regularly play golf?once
6. In addition to playing, how many times a week do you hit the driving range? 0.5

I'm gonna do a little experiment this weekend as my course will allow some extra time for me. I just got a range finder not long ago and this would be the perfect opportunity to use it. I will measure driver shots only and give totals for each whole plus layout, wind direction, etc. I'm curious to see if I average what I believe I do. Should OB shots be counted? If so should I just measure from where ball went OB?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Ha ha ha. Of course you can't count OB. Or ravine or water. If I'm not mistaken, PGA Tour counts only driving distance when the balls find the fairway. Even first cut is not included. But you could include first cut. But not more than that I guess.

One thing to remember is that we live in FL, where our carry distance is basically our total distance. As we travel for THP Events, we get balls that roll 40 yards and that is where some of these numbers come from. We have hosted TONS of events, all around this country. There is however definitely a correlation with #OutingApproved and driving distance threads.

I dont think anybody has ill will however. And there are many on here that hit it a ton Im sure. Heck, for 5 years (pre-THP days) I thought I was hitting it 275 on average. Why? Because I played this hole at my course that was 435 yards. I was always left with 145-150 in. So I had to be hitting it that far. Then GPS came out, and I learned the hole was actually 385 and I was carrying it 235.

I went to Texas and my first drive went 318 yards playing with THPers. When we are at events with the FlightScope, we encourage everybody to jump on the machine for a few swings so they know their numbers. It certainly helps with club decisions.

1: 290+
2: 36
3: 310
4: 6'1
5: 3 or 4 times a week in Summer.
6: NEVER!

1. 240 +/-
2. 54
3. 190
4. 5'9"
5. 1-2
6. 1-2/mo.