Driving Distance Survey

<1.> carry 245, roll out 260 ish. <2.> 48 yrs old <3.> 215 lbs. <4.> 5'9" <5> 2-3 times a week <6> 1-2 times a week at range

I'm quite depressed about 1) my driver distance compared to these averagea and 2) my height...5'7" and done growing vertically at 28 years old.
I wouldn't be. While there are some definite bombers here at THP (I've played with them) the people you might typically play with won't hit it that far. There are folks I play with and when they catch one, they'll outdrive me by 20-30 yards but when you ask them their driving average they'll give some ungodly number which won't even be close to the truth. When I hit one out there, I know it's 220 or so ... when they do it, they think that same drive is around 260-270. It's amazing how reality breaks down on the tee box.

This is not news but the truth is 90% of golfers overestimate how far their AVERAGE drive goes. The lower your handicap the closer you are to accurately estimating how far your average drive goes. Only 35 guys or about 20% of all the guys playing on the PGA Tour hit more than one third of their drives over 300 and they are playing faster fairways than the rest of us. I bet if you surveyed random golfers you would find that at least 20% would claim they could hit 33% of their drives 300+ yards. The truth is your average golfer is about 70 yards shorter than the average PGA Tour pro.

I average maybe 275 yards off the tee with a driver and have run into only about 50 guys that are on average more than a few yards longer than me in my 35 years and 3,500+ rounds. I emphasize average because guys who can occasionally hit a 300 yard drive(wind, elevated tee, hard fairways, cart path, etc.) are as common as guys who can play bogey golf. Over 1,500 of my rounds have been played where the worst golfer in the foursome was a zero handicap. Most of those guys that were longer than me was during the period when I was playing college golf and lots of amateur tournaments when I was a +3 index and relatively longer off the tee than I am now.

I find it to be great humor when I'm at parties or business lunchs listening to all the guys talk about their golf games and driving distances. I've found it true 100% of the time that those who claim to average 300 yards can only do so downhill, downwind, at elevation, off a rock hard fairway or some combination of these. The guys who can really hit it 300+ yards won't be talking about it, they save it for the course.

What is your average driving distance?

2. How old are you?

3. How much do you currently weigh?

4. What is your height?
5'7"

5. How many times a week do you regularly play golf?
Once every other week, once a week if I'm not busy

6. In addition to playing, how many times a week do you hit the driving range?
Once

Ï
I was kidding! I hit the ball plenty far for an amateur but I've never seen such a large group of people who can hit it 280+ but only play once a month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lol. I thought you might be but your second comment threw me off. It's the interwebs, everyone is 20 lbs lighter, 2 inches taller with a full head of hair, married to a supermodel and can crank it off the tee after a night of hard boozing with only 2 warm up swings.

sent from my Samsoon S5 from the bottom of a mud hole

I think a better metric would be how often you reach par 5s in 2. Not as easy to fudge those numbers.

sent from my Samsoon S5 from the bottom of a mud hole

I played this hole yesterday, designed by Fred Couples. I stand on the bottom on the picture, and send the ball to other side where the fairway is. I lasered it and it said 250 yards. My first ball didn't make it, too much slice spin, but the second one did. That said, this is downhill, so the distance is not what it is on level ground. Still, I think it's a healthy attitude for anyone playing golf to want to be better and longer....

1. What is your average driving distance?
2. How old are you?
3. How much do you currently weigh?
4. What is your height?
5'9
5. How many times a week do you regularly play golf?
4-5 days a week
6. In addition to playing, how many times a week do you hit the driving range?
very little range time but have season pass and do most of my "range" work on the course when it isn't busy. I would say 4-5 hours a week on that

New Entries....

Total who joined survey...147

Average drive distance:249.8; Age:40; Weight:208.7; Height:6';Game Frequency:1.8;Range Frequency:1.2

Thanks to all who participated.

I played this hole yesterday, designed by Fred Couples. I stand on the bottom on the picture, and send the ball to other side where the fairway is. I lasered it and it said 250 yards. My first ball didn't make it, too much slice spin, but the second one did. That said, this is downhill, so the distance is not what it is on level ground. Still, I think it's a healthy attitude for anyone playing golf to want to be better and longer....
That's a beautiful hole.

250 yard forced carry is ridiculous unless you're playing the back tees, in which case you shouldn't have a problem carrying that.

For another thread however.

250 yard forced carry is ridiculous unless you're playing the back tees, in which case you shouldn't have a problem carrying that.

We could do it. 4 sure.

1. What is your average driving distance? 260
2. How old are you? 31
3. How much do you currently weigh? 239
4. What is your height? 5'11
5. How many times a week do you regularly play golf? 1
6. In addition to playing, how many times a week do you hit the driving range? 2-4

It's definitely not a hole for everyone. My 78 year old buddy can't cross from the white tees. It does look daunting but it is downhill and usually with the wind. So I think the actual carry distance from the blue tees would be around 200 yards.

1. What is your average driving distance? 240-245
2. How old are you? 51
3. How much do you currently weigh? 275
4. What is your height? 6'
5. How many times a week do you regularly play golf? 3
6. In addition to playing, how many times a week do you hit the driving range? 0 (would much rather play than practice with the available time I have to golf)

Thanks.

see above

Last edited:
skeeks03;4015439[B said:
SP- 115-117 avg. Can get up to around 125 If I really push it but VERY rarely do, starting to feel the effects of aging.
[/B]

LOL - talk to me in 20 years ...

According to GameGolf my average drive is 239 meters, though I must say its been shorter the last few weeks.

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/FlorisDiemel

1. What is your average driving distance? 239meters (I'm below sea level!)
2. How old are you? 38
3. How much do you currently weigh? 83kg
4. What is your height? 1m78
5. How many times a week do you regularly play golf? 1-2
6. In addition to playing, how many times a week do you hit the driving range? 0 (hope to get back to at least once a week)

Last edited:
1. What is your average driving distance? Last outing was 293 average
2. How old are you? 29 years old
3. How much do you currently weigh? 225lb
4. What is your height? 6'1"
5. How many times a week do you regularly play golf? At most once, but right now out due to hand injury
6. In addition to playing, how many times a week do you hit the driving range? Not often

1. What is your average driving distance? 280 yd. Carry and the rest depends on the course.

2. How old are you? 43

3. How much do you currently weigh? 245

4. What is your height? 5'10"

5. How many times a week do you regularly play golf? 2

6. In addition to playing, how many times a week do you hit the driving range? 1

1. What is your average driving distance? 275 carry
2. How old are you? 28
3. How much do you currently weigh? 190
4. What is your height? 6'1"
5. How many times a week do you regularly play golf? 1
6. In addition to playing, how many times a week do you hit the driving range? 1

1. What is your average driving distance? 250 yards.

2. How old are you? 35 years of awesome.

3. How much do you currently weigh? 176 lbs

4. What is your height? 6' 7/16"

5. How many times a week do you regularly play golf? 0.5 to 4 times. Depends on the year.

6. In addition to playing, how many times a week do you hit the driving range? None. I hate the range.

Back