Dubai Ian Poulter Ball Market Penalty Call

Vadim

Reaction score
Handicap
Did you guys watch the playoff? What did you think of the ruling of a one stroke penalty if your ball marker moved?

I heard about this after the fact. I walked away from the TV for a minute. I agree rules are rules, but I'd like to see what happened. If anyone comes across a vid link put it up please.

How did it move? Wind, other players, ...?

I have not seen a vid but apparently the ball slipped from his hands a few inches above the marker. The ball fell on the marker and flipped it over. Poulter immediately called the official over and told him what had happened. Since Karlsson only had four feet for bird and even without the penalty Poulter would have had forty feet for bird it probably did not have an impact on the outcome from a practical perspective.

Unfortunately just another situation where the outcome is - the rules are the rules.

Probably a bigger thing being made of it due to the situation, and it was unlucky, but as jnug says, probably didn't change the outcome.

well, accidents happen, and who knows what would've happened had he had the chance to make the putt. bottom line: IJP is playing some awesome golf and he should truly be an inspiration to many of us. the guy's worked incredibly hard to get where he is, i love his story!

From what I see it didnt really have any effect on the outcome, aside from taking a little pressure off Karlsson. Good call based on the rules and good on Poulter for alerting the official right away to his mistake

I did not see the incident. Was he in the process of marking/replacing his ball? There is no penalty if the BALL moves in the process; don't know about the marker. I suspect the referee got it right.

More info:
Rule 20-1/15 is the one that trapped Poulter.

"Any accidental movement of the ball marker which occurs before or after the specific act of marking, including as a result of dropping the ball, regardless of the height from which it was dropped ... results in the player incurring a one stroke penalty," McFee said in a statement.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/sports/gol...robert-karlsson-dubai-golf.html#ixzz16grG3x00

Last edited:
Back