Yeah, the more I thought of it, the more it makes sense. Winning is great, but just showing up and finishing still gets you paid.
Made perfect sense to give up his sponsorship into the event this week if he was turning pro. It was a short week with an early start.

No more home work.

By ground zero, i should have clarified... i meant financially. I'd say it has to be a lot less stressful walking into events knowing you have 1.5 mil sitting in the bank and some cushion to work with. As an amateur, he really wasn't chasing a paycheck.... that all changes now. (I'm sure he'll have sponsors and that's all well and good but now he's got to perform week in and week out) No matter what, i wish the kid good luck and hope he has a bright future ahead.
1.5 mill would have been nice, but so is exception into all of the remaining 7 signature events (20 million purse for each one). I'm not sure what last place is, but he's guaranteed at least that, by showing up. Nice chunk of change there.

It was a no brainer and the absolute correct decision. Two year exemption. He just did something nobody since Phil has. Only him and Tiger have won the US Junior and Amateur Championships.

His name is in the spotlight so he’ll have a much easier time getting sponsorships now than he would if he lets the hype die down.

no one is guaranteed tomorrow, so it makes a ton of sense to me

Easy and right decision. There is no reason to stay in school. He's got status and college is to prepare you for a career. He doesn't need college golf. Make your money young man. I'm a fan can't wait to see him in the big tournaments.
I'd want to get out of Tuscaloosa ASAP as well.

The correct call, 100%

I’m sure he was living just fine in the ‘Loosa
Probably was living at Lake Martin, with the rest of the athletes.

Probably was living at Lake Martin, with the rest of the athletes.
Hope he’s got a good team on his side, cause a 20yr old is about to be thrown right into the fire with little idea on how to do a whole lot on his own.

Hope he’s got a good team on his side, cause a 20yr old is about to be thrown right into the fire with little idea on how to do a whole lot on his own.
Chasing the $$$.

It won't be the first story on the PGA Tour that starts like that.

Absolutely the right decision. He would not be smart to turn away a two-year PGA exemption which is really three years because it lasts until the end of the 2026 season. It is extremely hard to get onto the PGA tour let alone an exemption for pretty much three years. It is a lottery ticket with his game. On top of that, endorsement deals and just PGA experience.

This is not only the right decision.. .It is the only decision.

Totally agree. He has proven he can win at this level, time to shine!

2 year exception, makes sense to go now

2 year exemption, (with his game he will place in some tourney's) endorsements for some big $$, jump in while the irons are hot! Good for you kid!!

Ray Charles saw that coming.....

Question about the 2 year exemption? Can you defer the start of the exemption or does it start right away? If you can’t defer it, then he had to turn pro.

Question about the 2 year exemption? Can you defer the start of the exemption or does it start right away? If you can’t defer it, then he had to turn pro.
Pretty sure it starts right away at the time of the win, no deferral.

Back