Dustin Johnson "Tiger effect"

Phil said as much himself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Really...link please.

So you're saying Phil, a guy that has won 42 times and won all his majors during the Tiger era, thought he was beat before he stepped on the tee with TW?

Last edited:
Is Spieth that intimidating?

Sure, he can hit shots, long putts, and get the W's, but every round he's throwing a fit at something. Is that all that scary to play alongside?

He's 24 years old and had 3 Major wins. I think that's gotta be pretty intimidating to most players his elder.

Here is my impression of Spieth, he plays every event to win and anything else is secondary. I think a lot of PGA players have the mentality of making cuts and Spieth treats it differently. Look at Fowler, dude is insanely talented and seems to be Top 10 in every tournament but rarely ever wins big ones.

That's not even close to what was said though. And I still don't buy it, depends on how big a lead and when.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

It does not matter how big. 42-2 with any lead. 12-2 when tied.

It does not matter how big. 42-2 with any lead. 12-2 when tied.
On Sunday? Again, that's not what was said or what I replied to and unless you're in people's heads you don't know that anyone figured they were beat before they stepped on the tee.

He's 24 years old and had 3 Major wins. I think that's gotta be pretty intimidating to most players his elder.

Here is my impression of Spieth, he plays every event to win and anything else is secondary. I think a lot of PGA players have the mentality of making cuts and Spieth treats it differently. Look at Fowler, dude is insanely talented and seems to be Top 10 in every tournament but rarely ever wins big ones.

Nothing about Spieth is intimidating about Spieth. While he isn't short off the tee he is massively inaccurate for how short he is. I imagine he is very annoying to other players minds as he makes tons of putts. Not intimidating though.

You know while Dustin is much more physically intimidating by his size and length of the tee, I could see an argument for Spieth as well. Just his intensity could be intimidating to some, and then if he gets the putter going it's just moral busting. Like last years Open, I mean the guy just made shot after shot and poor Kuch just looked like a deer in the headlights. Not that he was intimidated but I think Jordan can at least demoralize people.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

IMO the mentality when tiger came on tour was the younger guys weren't expected to win early and IMO they brought tart mentality with them each event. Tiger was different in that he expected to win every time he teed it up. Today the young guys show up on tour expecting to win and not worried about being a rookie, young guy, etc. not sure if this started with Spieth in 2012 but i don't remember anyone before him having that approach. Also many of the younger players are friends and play together out use of the tour and play with guys like Phil during practice rounds. IMO they aren't intimidated by anyone these days.

I don't see anyone on tour or in Europe or the web.com that could compare to what tiger did for the game or the affect on the field when his name was on the tee sheet. While DJ may affect the guy he is playing with on Sunday down the stretch, or maybe Spieth as well as he doesn't give up which can add pressure to the leader it's nowhere near the level if a tiger on the weekend.

Edit: as for Phil or Vijay if they were truly intimidated by Tiger would Phil have won 40+ times and rack up some majors including The Green Jacket 3 times during the Tiger era or Vijay with 61 wins and getting to number 1 in the world.

I think we are starting to see that attitude becoming way more common these days as well with the younger guys coming in to the web and pga. Winning is the goal. Not just making cuts. I think JT has said it before in some form. With all the talent coming up these days, you want to win early while you can. I know there are still many wins on tour by the veterans, but with how people are swinging, you have to foresee that careers are going to be a little shorter. At least the being consistently competitive part of player’s careers.

I don’t think Dustin or anyone else will ever have an intimidation factor close to what Tiger had. Tiger won tournaments and Majors at such a torrid pace that you can’t compare him to any of todays players. I doubt we will ever see another golfer with 14 Majors and 70 tournaments by age 32. Think about that, DJ is 33 with 1 Major and Tiger had won all 14 of his Majors before that age.

I don’t think Dustin or anyone else will ever have an intimidation factor close to what Tiger had. Tiger won tournaments and Majors at such a torrid pace that you can’t compare him to any of todays players. I doubt we will ever see another golfer with 14 Majors and 70 tournaments by age 32. Think about that, DJ is 33 with 1 Major and Tiger had won all 14 of his Majors before that age.

I'm not even sure intimidation is the right word. I think playing the best makes one put more pressure on themselves. Some players thrive on it, others crumble under it. Also, we're comparing DJ today, not his earlier years on tour. He may have more raw talent than Tiger but completely wasted it early on. Not many had the drive Tiger did.

I understood the OP. I still say the notion is borderline silly. There's a difference between respecting an opponent's skill and stepping to the tee knowing you are beat even if you have your A+ game. Tiger did this to Phil, one of the games top 10-ish players ever, and everyone else. I doubt any of the top players today feel that way at all about DJ.

Doesn't Lee Westwood have the most runner up finishes to Tiger out of anyone on Tour? I don't think Phil's record is an indication of Tiger intimidation, but that's just my opinion.

Only one player alive that can invoke the "Tiger Effect"...

It is cool how much of a gap he has made from #1 to #2, credit to him...

Gap? Gap? At one point, Tiger was so far ahead of #2, he could've held first AND second place all by himself! Now, THAT is a gap!

Doesn't Lee Westwood have the most runner up finishes to Tiger out of anyone on Tour? I don't think Phil's record is an indication of Tiger intimidation, but that's just my opinion.

Looks like Chris DiMarco holds that "honor" if you can believe Wikipedia. I think Phil has a few runner-up finishes to Tiger in regular Tour events (edit: looks like 4 times per Wiki).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_Woods

If Tiger had the lead on Sunday they knew they were. Phil included

That's not even close to what was said though. And I still don't buy it, depends on how big a lead and when.

16. Tiger has held the outright 54-hole lead 45 times in his PGA Tour career. He went on to win 43 of them, good for a 95.6 percent clip. For context - over the last three PGA Tour seasons, players with an outright 54-hole lead have gone on to win 39.7 percent of the time.

https://www.golfchannel.com/article/golf-central-blog/stats-incredible-tigers-40-greatest-numerical-records/

EDIT: You've gotta read that post. There are some amazing records in there.

I think you mean late '96-2008 for Tiger. If not, you should.

Gap? Gap? At one point, Tiger was so far ahead of #2, he could've held first AND second place all by himself! Now, THAT is a gap!
No doubt, I never said DJ has that "Tiger effect." But it's a credit to the gap he created. The problem is how the OWGR work and last week, or even this week, Jon Rahm can overtake DJ to being #1. Weird about that, but oh well.

What's the problem wiht how the OWGR works?

It seriously favors non pga members apparently. I don’t know anything first hand, but they is supposedly a study that was done somewhat recently that “proves” this. I’ll try and find it

Let me know when someone posts cliffs of someones cliff notes of that study.

definitely not. I don't think we will every see another person that had the ability to affect other players mentally like Tiger did....

like they said, people showed up knowing they were playing for 2nd haha

Agreed. It’s the “mental intimidation factor” that’s missing I feel. I almost feel like even if Tiger was still playing like the old Tiger, these younger guys that grew up watching him wouldn’t be intimidated by him, even if he was winning a lot. I think Tiger taught a lot of the new generation of pros to expect to win, to expect to be great right away.

And for those same reasons, DJ is not intimidating to most really good pros. They are not going to back down for anyone.

I think the guys are all good enough and not one has a distinctly superior skillset to intimidate anyone else

I still remember Monty being interviewed before the Masters one year when he said they were all playing for second because Tiger was in the field. This was at a time when Monty was dominating in Europe, but had already given up on winning. There certainly isn’t a player currently that has that sort of power over the others, and I doubt whether I will ever see one again.

#FiberLaunch

Back