Dynamic Gold versus Project X

i-Guy

Reaction score
Handicap
???
I am currently playing DG X100's in my irons (see signature). My coach does not seem to think I have a problem swinging them and keeps telling me once my swing gets better they will be the right shafts for me. But they do feel "kind of" heavy from a weight stand point and from a feel stand point. However, I will admit when I am swinging well (the way he wants me to) they feel very good.

Anyway with that said I demoed a couple of irons (Bridgestones J?? and Callaway X22 Tour) yesterday with Project X 6.0's and they felt lighter (easier to swing) as they are 10 grams lighter then the DG X100 but they also felt softer through impact and had a nice feel...I would like to hit some Project X 6.5's to see how they feel as they are bit stiffer then the 6.0 and only 5 grams heavier. Not sure if I am splitting hairs here but was wondering if you could comment on the following:

1) Can I really feel 10 grams?

2) Can the Project X just feel softer then the DG or is it just because they were stiff verus X stiff...Note: my ball flight was similar as I hit balls switching between those two clubs and my ZM's.

3) I do have some back issues (working with a PT) and have been thinking that maybe my back would benefit from softer and lighter shafts but I do not want to lose playability and accuracy of my irons.

Thanks for any advice you can offer...:cool:

Px's are also Counter balanced compared to DG's. If you prefer that feeling,then you should play them.

To give you an idea regarding flex comparing the two

DGS300ss = 5.5FCM
DGS300 = 5.8FCM
DGS300hs = 6.1FCM

PX5.5ss = 5.8FCM
PX5.5 = 6.0FCM
PX5.5hs = 6.2FCM

PX6.0ss = 6.3FCM
PX6.0 = 6.5FCM
PX6.0hs = 6.7FCM

DGX100ssx2 = 6.2FCM
DGX100ss = 6.5FCM
DGX100 = 6.8FCM
DGX100hs = 7.1FCM

ss=soft-stepped
ssx2=soft-stepped twice
hs=hard-stepped

Project X 6.5 would equate to 7.0FCM -- a little stiffer than the X100.

DGS400 will flex virtually the same as DGS300, but weigh a few grams heavier.

..................Project X 5.5.......... Dynamic Gold S300
Weight........... 118g........................... 130g
Torque............ 1.7°............................ 1.7°
Flex Point..... mid/high...................... high

What are the differences in performance characteristics between the Project X and Dynamic Gold shafts?

Project X will launch slightly higher (0.5°) and with slightly less spin (200 rpm) than Dynamic Gold due to its slightly softer tip section and firmer mid section. The firmer mid section of Project X will give the player a slightly stiffer feel compared to Dynamic Gold. Both shafts are designed for the better player or stronger swinger seeking shot control with their irons and a lower, penetrating ball flight. Players with quicker tempos may prefer the heavier weight of Dynamic Gold.

We have seen several Tour players switch back and forth between the two models (Davis Love III & Camilo Villegas are two that come to mind). At The Players Championship this year, there were 66 sets of Dynamic Gold in play and 23 sets of Project X.

...if a player is currently playing Dynamic Gold S300 and wanted to try Project X, we would suggest that he start with the 5.5 as it would be the closest comparison to S300 (and vice versa).

Px's are also Counter balanced compared to DG's. If you prefer that feeling,then you should play them.

Thanks and excuse my igorance but what do you mean by counter balanced compared to DG's??? Can you eloborate?

Please keep the "Ask the Pro" section clean of responses until our THP resident pro has had a chance to respond.

That is a great answer Big lefty. Thanks for the specs. Counter balance is a fancy term that says you can frequency match the shafts so each club will feel like they swing the same all through the set. Now to get to your question. I am a big fan of the project x shafts. The DG X100 are very good as well. I would like to see the numbers before I say go one way or the other. That being said I to have some physical issues. I have try compensating a couple of ways. I have tryed lighter weight shafts that are a touch stiffer, and I have tried heavier shafts that are weaker. I found both set ups worked for me and both speced out well for me. What it came down to is what felt the best to me at the end of the day. For me it was lighter and stiffer. As long as the numbers are still working for you this will be all based on feel. If you can hit a few with a launch moniter and see how close they are for you. Let me know if you need some help with that.

Thanks for the help...I now understand the difference between the two shafts enough that I think this will come down to what feels best to me. I hear you about a launch monitor but I never seem to perform well hitting inside. I am 6'4 and I think being so close to the roof affects my swing somehow...or maybe it is that the wall is so close in front of me...not exactly sure why but I definitely perfom better outside on grass???

Anyway I think I may try a few shafts in my 6 or 7 iron to see how they feel at the range and on the course...this may be a bit more expensive option then the launch monitor but for me personally it will be a truer test of how the shafts feel in my hand and when hitting a shot. Again thanks for your help!!! :cool:

Back