Edison Wedges Review Thread

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
This thread will be used for reviews of Edison Wedges. If you have questions or your own feedback, feel free to post in here.

Do you notice any considerable difference with the higher center of gravity?
Do you see more spin control vs your current gamer?
For those of you that have access to launch monitors, do you see a difference in Smash Factor & Ball Speeds vs your gamer?

How do the wedges work from fluffy lies for short chips where the ball floats above the ground?

What differences are you seeing in ballflight on full to 1/2 swings, most notably against how you currently play wedges? I'm particularly interested in that one for players who don't do much flighting of the ball but plays a stock pitch shot most of the time.

Moving this from the other thread:

I got the welcome email from Terry and completed the Wedge Fit Scoring Analysis. Here is the automated recommendation:

FYI irons currently in the bag are Srixon ZX5 with Steelfiber i95s. I also have a set of T100s with Modus 120s softstepped but they are currently on the shelf due to my poor play. I will update once I connect with Terry.

Your Personal WedgeFit Profile
Name:
Mark Shaffer
Male/Female: Male
Where you live: 01760
Your handicap: Less than 5
Rounds Annually: More than 60
What's In Your Bag
Your irons:
Game Improvement Design
Custom Fitted: Yes

Your specifications:
Length:
Standard Lie Angle: 2° Flat
Grip: Lamkin Sonar tour with an extra wrap of tape. Grip Size: Standard

Your 9-iron loft: 39
Your PW loft: 44
Shaft: Material: Graphite
Shaft Flex: Stiff

What brand of wedges do you currently play?: Titleist Vokey
Your highest loft wedge: 58/59
Your wedge shafts: Standard steel it came with
Your wedges' age: Less than a year
About Your Game
9-iron carry distance:
130-140
Full swing wedges/rd: 3 to 6
Trajectories Trend: About right
Misses trend: Short
Spin, full: Pretty good
Turf: It varies
Bunker sand texture: Generally soft
Your recommended Edison Forged wedges
Based on your current wedge lofts and the knowledge you shared about your game, here are two loft matrix recommendations that we think will optimize your distance gapping and your scoring range performance. The 4-degree gapping will give you smaller distance differentials in prime scoring range, while 5-degree gapping will give you a higher loft at that end of your set.

Please realize that our recommendations are influenced by the lower launch angles and increased distance delivered by the Edison Forged wedges. Because of that enhanced performance, we engineered our wedges to odd-numbered lofts from 45 to 63 degrees. If you choose, however, we can deliver even-numbered lofts by bending the lower loft Edison Forged wedges 1* weaker, if that is what your game should require.

NOTE: Remember, we are happy to build you any one of these wedges on our No-Risk Trial Program. You've got nothing to lose but strokes off your scores.

Lofts:
Click here to purchase

Your Lofts with 4-degree gapping:
48° loft, KBS Players Graphite (PGI) 100 - Stiff Flex
52° loft, KBS Players Graphite (PGI) 100 - Stiff Flex
56° loft, KBS Players Graphite (PGI) 100 - Stiff Flex
60° loft, KBS Players Graphite (PGI) 100 - Stiff Flex
Your Lofts with 5-degree gapping:
49° loft, KBS Players Graphite (PGI) 100 - Stiff Flex
54° loft, KBS Players Graphite (PGI) 100 - Stiff Flex
59° loft, KBS Players Graphite (PGI) 100 - Stiff Flex

Click here for your No-Risk Trial

Custom Alterations:
Length:
Standard Lie Angle: 2° Flat
Grip Size: Standard Grip Make/Model: Lamkin Sonar tour with an extra wrap of tape.
We can build your Edison Forged wedges with the Lamkin Sonar tour with an extra wrap of tape. if you desire for a reasonable upcharge.

I do find the three wedge package interesting. I don't see going to the 4 wedge package as it would take away too many clubs at the top of my bag. I would consider replacing the set AW in the Srixons with a different club as I don't love that club like I do the 48* T100s.

I’ll be testing the Edison Forged wedges as part of THP’s forum testing.

A few quick notes about me:

-42 years old

-Higher handicap, as I’ve just started playing after a 7 year hiatus. My lowest index was in the low teens.

-The main reason I was able to maintain that index was my short game and putting. Not a great ball striker - yet.

- I use wedges mostly for partial swings, pitches, chip shots and specialty shots. I rarely swing full with them, except for my gap wedge. I can produce a decent amount of spin when needed and can manipulate trajectory pretty well.

-My current wedges were made by Hopkins Golf, a company that is no longer in business. Lofts are 49/53/57 and they have varying grinds. I have had a lot of success with them.

-I’ve never used a wedge designed by Terry Koehler, the creator of Edison wedges.

Terry asked me to use his WedgeFit system -https://wedgefit.edisonwedges.com/ prior to a private consultation we’ll have soon.

Based on my information, WedgeFit recommended the following two options:

I will wait until speaking to Terry before making any decisions, but I am leaning towards the 5 degree gapping. It’s close to my current setup and I don’t full swing wedges enough to feel like I need super-tight gapping.

WedgeFit suggested KBS graphite because I play graphite in my irons. I am happy with that suggestion, as my current wedges have steel shafts and I would like to go fully graphite if possible. The weight of the KBS shafts definitely appeals to me, as I’ve had a set of lighter graphite wedges and didn’t really love them. Edison does offer my current grip (Golf Pride MCC), but I’m not sure if I’ll go that route or not.

I’ll provide details of our phone conversation after it happens Let me know if you have questions or comments.

I think I've played 4 rounds with the Edison Wedges so far - 48* and 56*. I don't like a lot of different lofts in the wedges, I'd rather adjust my swing or open the club face to adjust for distances.

Previously played the Ben Hogan Equalizer II and before those the Callaway MD5 Jaws.

The biggest difference that I have noticed is that I am much more consistent with shots within 40 yards. My putting stats have improved and I attribute that to getting closer to the hole on chips and pitches.

One other thing that is a huge plus is the feel. They have a really, really nice feel and seem very well balanced.

Hi All,

Here is mine...

Your Personal WedgeFit Profile
Name: Darrin
Male/Female: Male
Where you live: NY
Your handicap: Less than 5
Rounds Annually: 41 - 60
What's In Your Bag
Your irons: Modern Player's Blade
Custom Fitted: Yes

Your specifications:
Length:
+.25" Lie Angle: 1° Flat
Grip: Golf Pride Z-Cord Grip Size: Standard

Your 9-iron loft: 40
Your PW loft: 45
Shaft: Material: Std Weight Steel

What brand of wedges do you currently play?: Ping Glide 4.0
Your highest loft wedge: 60/61
Your wedge shafts: Custom
Your wedges' age: Less than a year
About Your Game
9-iron carry distance: More than 140 yards
Full swing wedges/rd: 6 to 9
Misses trend: Short
Spin, full: Good to excellent
Turf: Usually soft
Based on your current wedge lofts and the knowledge you shared about your game, here are two loft matrix recommendations that we think will optimize your distance gapping and your scoring range performance. The 4-degree gapping will give you smaller distance differentials in prime scoring range, while 5-degree gapping will give you a higher loft at that end of your set.

Please realize that our recommendations are influenced by the lower launch angles and increased distance delivered by the Edison Forged wedges. Because of that enhanced performance, we engineered our wedges to odd-numbered lofts from 45 to 63 degrees. If you choose, however, we can deliver even-numbered lofts by bending the lower loft Edison Forged wedges 1* weaker, if that is what your game should require.

NOTE: Remember, we are happy to build you any one of these wedges on our No-Risk Trial Program. You've got nothing to lose but strokes off your scores.

Lofts:
Click here to purchase

49° loft, KBS Tour 120 Stiff shaft
53° loft, KBS Tour 120 Stiff shaft
57° loft, KBS Tour 120 Stiff shaft
61° loft, KBS Tour 120 Stiff shaft
50° loft, KBS Tour 120 Stiff shaft
55° loft, KBS Tour 120 Stiff shaft
60° loft, KBS Tour 120 Stiff shaft

I can't decide if I want to go GW (50) and SW (55) ......OR...... SW (55) and LW (60).

I don't use my GW a ton during a round, so leaning more toward the SW/LW setup for the review. I def hit SW/LW at my home course more than my GW.

My current wedge setup (all are a 1/4" long)
T100S PW (one weak with $Taper in Stiff)
Ping Glide 4.0 50 with $taper in Stiff
Ping Glide 4.0 56 with DG "Wedge" shaft
Ping Glide 4.0 60 with DG "Wedge" shaft

In general, I will say the Glide 4.0 wedges are pretty phenomenal, particularly the 56 and 60. They spin the ball perhaps more than any wedge I recall gaming. My short game control around the greens has been absolutely excellent with the Pings since putting them in the bag. I dare say my chipping/pitching/bunker game has been better. In early morning wet conditions, the spin is flat out impressive.

The only gripe I have with my Pings is they can really get the ball launching and apexing quickly on me. I think it impacts my full swing accuracy a fair bit. The full swings with the Pings are not quite as accurate as I feel they should be. At times, I also can struggle a bit to hit the 60 yard low, one hop stopper.
Something I'm really excited to see what the Edison wedges can do for me. If I can get that flight down, it may help me

Last edited:

I will wait until speaking to Terry before making any decisions, but I am leaning towards the 5 degree gapping. It’s close to my current setup and I don’t full swing wedges enough to feel like I need super-tight gapping.

WedgeFit suggested KBS graphite because I play graphite in my irons. I am happy with that suggestion, as my current wedges have steel shafts and I would like to go fully graphite if possible. The weight of the KBS shafts definitely appeals to me, as I’ve had a set of lighter graphite wedges and didn’t really love them. Edison does offer my current grip (Golf Pride MCC), but I’m not sure if I’ll go that route or not.

I’ll provide details of our phone conversation after it happens Let me know if you have questions or comments.
What amount of weight change do you think you will be dealing with? Any concerns with the change or hoping your hiatus makes it not a big deal?

I would be curious to see if someone with access to a launch monitor could hit some shots with a shortish tee to force the impact location to the top of the clubface. Is there really a huge benefit to the higher mass on the Edison?
How does the topline look on the PW/GW/SW? I think the lob wedge looks fine, but there is so much loft you don't really see much of the topline. Is it chunky, or does it blend in well with an iron set with a thinnish topline?

The only gripe I have with my Pings is they can really get the ball launching and apexing quickly on me. I think it impacts my full swing accuracy a fair bit. The full swings with the Pings are not quite as accurate as I feel they should be. At times, I also can struggle a bit to hit the 60 yard low, one hop stopper.
Something I'm really excited to see what the Edison wedges can do for me. If I can get that flight down, it may help me
I will be very interested in your review as I too seem to 'lose' more when I full swing my wedges compared to partial swings.

Lofts:
Click here to purchase

53° loft, KBS Players Graphite (PGI) 100 - Stiff Flex
57° loft, KBS Players Graphite (PGI) 100 - Stiff Flex
61° loft, KBS Players Graphite (PGI) 100 - Stiff Flex
50° loft, KBS Players Graphite (PGI) 100 - Stiff Flex
55° loft, KBS Players Graphite (PGI) 100 - Stiff Flex

This is my WedgeFit information that I also posted in the other thread. I also sent Terry some more detailed information about the two different iron and wedge setups I have been using over the past few months and the different Recoil shafts in each setup to expand on the information that was collected during the WedgeFit process.

Obviously I will communicate with Terry and put a lot of stcok in his recommendations after his communications. Currently I am thinking about going with the 50 and 55 degree wedges and continuing to use my current 58 degree. Also thinking the KBS PGI 90 (regular flex) will be a better fit for me as the recommendations were based on a lighter, higher launching and higher torque graphite stiff shaft (Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4).

Really looking forward to taking part in the rest of the selection process and, of course, playing with and reviewing the wedges.

Very interested to follow this. I have to admit that I understand nothing when it comes to bounce w/ wedges. The fact that these are supposed to take that out of equation has me very very intrigued.

It will
What amount of weight change do you think you will be dealing with? Any concerns with the change or hoping your hiatus makes it not a big deal?

It’ll be around 20g from my steel wedge shafts and my graphite iron shafts. It’ll definitely be interesting to see if it’s noticeable, but my guess is won’t matter so much.

I’m really just happy my wrists will get a break.

I would be curious to see if someone with access to a launch monitor could hit some shots with a shortish tee to force the impact location to the top of the clubface. Is there really a huge benefit to the higher mass on the Edison?
How does the topline look on the PW/GW/SW? I think the lob wedge looks fine, but there is so much loft you don't really see much of the topline. Is it chunky, or does it blend in well with an iron set with a thinnish topline?

I will definitely be doing this at some point

Delete if needed as I am not testing, but i was hopeful so went through the fitting profile..

What brand of wedges do you currently play?: Bridgestone
Your highest loft wedge: 60/61
Your wedge shafts: Standard steel it came with
Your wedges' age: 1 - 3 years
About Your Game
9-iron carry distance: 130-140
Misses trend: Select
Turf: Usually soft

Lofts:
Click here to purchase

54° loft, KBS Tour 120 Stiff shaft
58° loft, KBS Tour 120 Stiff shaft
62° loft, KBS Tour 120 Stiff shaft
51° loft, KBS Tour 120 Stiff shaft
56° loft, KBS Tour 120 Stiff shaft

Here was my info from my e-mail

What's In Your Bag
Your irons: Traditional Forged Blade
Custom Fitted: No
Your 9-iron loft: 40
Your PW loft: 45
Shaft: Material: Std Weight Steel

What brand of wedges do you currently play?: Hogan Equalizer
Your highest loft wedge: 56/57
Your wedge shafts: Light Steel
Your wedges' age: 1 - 3 years
About Your Game
9-iron carry distance: 130-140
Misses trend: Long
Turf: Usually firm
Bunker sand texture: It varies

Lofts:

49° loft, KBS Tour 120 Stiff shaft
53° loft, KBS Tour 120 Stiff shaft
57° loft, KBS Tour 120 Stiff shaft
55° loft, KBS Tour 120 Stiff shaft
60° loft, KBS Tour 120 Stiff shaft

I have access to a Trackman at my club. I can try to do this if I can get there.

I am interested to see the shaft recommendation. I have SF i95 in my irons and stock steel wedge shafts in my wedges. I had been thinking about going graphite in the wedges particularly the 53 because I do make full swings with them.

More forgiving wedges to make sense to me if they have versatility around the greens.

Good stuff, guys! Can’t wait to read your reviews once you have the wedges in hand.

Getting some prelim data with my Glides…

3470B337-1069-4D96-BE19-ED3777F85D46.jpeg

GW(50). All are range balls. Left a few out of the averages. Seems in line with what I normally assume for my 50, 120yrds.
734274B4-8683-49AC-A59B-528A2E72954D.jpeg

@DNice26 is that 95 mph clubhead speed with a 50*? Color me jealous.

I will need to find some time to get to our club's Trackman and get some numbers on my current wedges.

@DNice26 is that 95 mph clubhead speed with a 50*? Color me jealous.

I will need to find some time to get to our club's Trackman and get some numbers on my current wedges.

No, sorry that pic is cutting off the headers. That is the ball speed. I def dont swing hard at GW. That is my normal type cruising speed.

Back