EPON SUS316 Arrived - Full Review to follow

Kekoa

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey guys,

I just wanted to share my latest acquisition. For very good reason, I haven't strayed from Scratch for several seasons, but I wanted to try something new this year. Opted for these EPON SUS316's. Endo forged with less offset than their other player irons coupled with thinner top-line. The sus material is also supposed to be softer than the s20c of prior models (if that's even possible). These are limited to 500 and come in plated and non plated versions. I went with plated for some added durability. Please excuse the plastic wrapped pictures, but I literally tore the box open before a trip out of town. Had to rush these to my builder for shafting. I will say this- pictures do not do these irons justice. I come from 0 offset blades and the profile of these don't bother me at all from initial glance. I hope to get them out on a grass range this weekend for a full workout and review. I'm extremely picky about irons so this could be a very expensive experiment should things not work out.

Attachments

• IMG_2646.jpg
    IMG_2646.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2651.jpg
    IMG_2651.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2649.jpg
    IMG_2649.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 4
Some profile shots.

Attachments

• IMG_2630.jpg
    IMG_2630.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2644.jpg
    IMG_2644.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2643.jpg
    IMG_2643.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2635.JPG
    IMG_2635.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2632.jpg
    IMG_2632.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2634.JPG
    IMG_2634.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 1
Very nice... I'm sure they're going to feel great. Epons or Miura irons are in my summer plans.

Good luck with your new sticks.

Nice looking club heads, Kekoa. They remind me of the Titleist 695 CBs, though the "Z" cavity design was a little different to these.

Last edited:
Sweet looking irons! Good luck with them!

They look good. Enjoy them!

Those are sweet!

Love my epons, played mine for almost 6 years, still have them and may still game them some time soon, but trying out some CB3s first part of this season.

What shafts are are going for in these heads, they look beautiful

Good luck! The Epon name is new to me. Might have to do a little research.

i suggest you don't, hahaha i sold a kidney for my first set.

Love my epons, played mine for almost 6 years, still have them and may still game them some time soon, but trying out some CB3s first part of this season.

What shafts are are going for in these heads, they look beautiful

thanks guys. Im going with nippon spb's. Ive been a dg guy forever so lets see how things go.

thanks guys. Im going with nippon spb's. Ive been a dg guy forever so lets see how things go.

love the Nippons i have, never tried the spb's but hear two words all the time when reading reviews, "smooth" and "tight"

Hey guys, thought I'd update with my initial impressions of the SUS irons. I have two range sessions under my belt and one round. Two things are for sure: 1. increased distance over my Scratch blades (At least half a club) and 2. Ball flight is half a club higher as well. Combine those two points and these irons are winners. Nice and soft as expected from EPON and the Nippon shafts are also very stable yet firm through the hitting area.

I'm still trying to get used to the offset in these irons. Been losing a few left but that issue can be worked out.

I was able to hit a 702 today and it was the nicest and softest iron I've ever hit. I felt that the sole was too thick, but still couldn't get over the feel. I hit a couple off of the toe and it was like you could tell exactly where the spot was. The feedback was incredible. I need to try the 503's.

Anyone who says they can't feel the difference between a forged or cast club has not hit an Epon or Miura.

Sweet looking irons!

i suggest you don't, hahaha i sold a kidney for my first set.
I prefer my kidney's where they are currently located; inside my body, not my golf bag.

To those who plunk down the cash for these and similar irons ... more power to you. Wish I had that sort of disposable income!

I bit the bullet. I picked up a set of Miura PP 9003 Straight Necks, but the Epons are such an incredible feel and more forgiving that the Miuras were.

I bit the bullet. I picked up a set of Miura PP 9003 Straight Necks, but the Epons are such an incredible feel and more forgiving that the Miuras were.

Awesome buy!

stupid question, and i'm sure it's all subjective. Is there really a difference in these niche irons (miura, epon) vs some forged cavity backs from like cleveland, titleist, mizuno, or even nike (aren't their VR pros endo forged)?

stupid question, and i'm sure it's all subjective. Is there really a difference in these niche irons (miura, epon) vs some forged cavity backs from like cleveland, titleist, mizuno, or even nike (aren't their VR pros endo forged)?

You're going to get a bunch of varying opinions on this topic lol

Dunno. The OEM vs. JEM equipment has been discussed at length and input is all over the place. There are some that swear JEM is better quality and there are some that don't see a difference. I have no idea since I've never tried any JEM equipment.

I made the mistake of hitting some Epons once. It was similar to when I first tried on Ecco shoes. They felt amazing. I just had to have them, but they were very expensive. While I bought the Ecco shoes, the Epon irons will have to wait.

Feel is all subjective and is going to vary person to person. There's a difference in sound with clubs that your brain perceives as feel, which is why there's so much tech going into vibration dampening and tuning. I'm not 100% sure on this, but it may be that JEMs have tighter tolerances and a more strict quality control over their products as opposed to mass produced global OEMs. But that's just a theory.

Back