V14_Heels

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Dumb question here from a newbie. You all use the same Epoxy for curing a shaft into a head and for the grip?

Or is it two different epoxies I'm looking for gripping vs. shafting?

Hit me with some epoxy recommendations as well if possible, hoping I can just use an epoxy from Lowes?

That's what I figured that it was a different process. I don't want to order though, two component quick set Epoxies from a Big Box don't work? I gotta order from a golfworks?

That's what I figured that it was a different process. I don't want to order though, two component quick set Epoxies from a Big Box don't work? I gotta order from a golfworks?
They should sell decent epoxy at those stores. You don't have to order it. Same with tape supplies. I know I've seen the Brampton stuff at big box places.

Many epoxies will work but I would use a golf specific one for peace of mind.

I had mild palpitations reading that questions. :LOL:

the bramptons stuff has been good for me - not suitable for grips.

Epoxy on the grip?!?! Hmmm…that would be grip solvent.

Shaft epoxy is a slow cure to keep a little flex. Others can be too brittle.

They could work. At what temperature do they start to break down though, how much force can they withstand? I have no idea if they’re stronger or weaker than golf epoxy’s.

If they’re not building clubs with it though at OEM’s, who are able to buy it in massive bulk and for the cheapest, that says something, IMO.

Brampton Epoxy for the shaft work

They should sell decent epoxy at those stores. You don't have to order it. Same with tape supplies. I know I've seen the Brampton stuff at big box places.

@V14_Heels 3M DP810 is not golf specific, but pretty much the industry standard.

I had a panic attack when the grip portion of the OP came up.

Bramptons Long cure if you are playing tomorrow or gluing up a bunch of clubs. Brampton 5 min if you are doing one club or playing that day.

Yeah but it sounded like he didn't want to order. Just grab. The stuff they sell at GG, PGASS, etc is fine if you don't want to wait for an order.
Most definitely. I prefer the GW quick set stuff for small builds. I'm not sure I've used the Brompton, though their grip solvent is good and cheap!

Yea you guys got it. Sw shaft snapped yesterday and I don’t really want to wait a week for an epoxy if I can just get something comparable locally and get it back in the bag

I just realized I’m gonna need a ferrule. Biscuits!

I'm just gonna order, but now I'm lost on the Golfworks side. I just need someone to tell me buy this and this and this haha...

1684681395342.png

I don't understand the sets on the right? I got a quick set epoxy that comes in two separate squeeze bottles vs. what on the left exactly?

And then what do I need for gripping? I'm just going to buy that right away as well. I need a 2" Standard Grip Tape... plus a grip solvent like this correct?
1684681523619.png
1684681617596.png

This sounds like a great idea for a prank. Epoxy some grips onto some old clubs then ask your buddy to regrip them for you, making sure to video the whole thing. I’d love to see the reaction.

I'm just gonna order, but now I'm lost on the Golfworks side. I just need someone to tell me buy this and this and this haha...

View attachment 9180251

I don't understand the sets on the right? I got a quick set epoxy that comes in two separate squeeze bottles vs. what on the left exactly?

And then what do I need for gripping? I'm just going to buy that right away as well. I need a 2" Standard Grip Tape... plus a grip solvent like this correct?
View attachment 9180255
View attachment 9180257
Those are the different volumes available. The 4oz, 8oz, come in two separate bottles, whereas the smaller volume comes in the little dispenser, but it DOES NOT come with a plunger, so you'll need an epoxy gun to use that.

Go with the 4oz kit. It's more than you need for your project

Those are the different volumes available. The 4oz, 8oz, come in two separate bottles, whereas the smaller volume comes in the little dispenser, but it DOES NOT come with a plunger, so you'll need an epoxy gun to use that.

Go with the 4oz kit. It's more than you need for your project
You go Tour Set Epoxy or Quick Set Epoxy?

I think I'm fine with a 24 hour cure vs. 30 minutes, is that the difference here? Once is stronger better but takes more time, vs. one is quicker but not as strong?

@V14_Heels if you're looking at grip solvent, go with the Brompton (on amazon.) It's not any different or better than anything else, but it comes in a spray bottle which is super convenient.

Golf epoxy has a low glass transition temperature so you can heat it up with a propane torch and remove the head from the shaft.
If you have steel shafts you can use boiling water and twist off the shafts, but this is RUIN graphite shafts.
Graphite needs to be pulled off with a shaft puller unless the shaft is already toast and you don't care about damaging it.

Back