Ever play an Island green par 3

Nope. Would be fun. I’ve played par 3’s that are effectively an island with combos of hazard and ob, but a true island green would be far more interesting and visually challenging.

I never have, but I really would like to - love the idea of the pressure and nowhere to bail out. Would be a lot of fun seeing the banter between the group, especially if the first 3 all made it onto the green safely - the 4th would have a bit of a task!

I’ve played 4 that I can think of with my favorite being the 15th at Lakeridge in Reno NV. It’s 239 yard off the backs and 217 from the next set of tees. 38FEDD73-90AE-4FB1-801E-D302BC5334A3.jpeg23E5AE67-7264-4218-BF1B-F70B6B19D803.jpeg

Yes, Doral Silver Fox #7 par 3 from about 150 yds. It is the 2nd hole of the "Bermuda Triangle" with water in play from tee to green on all 3 holes. The wind usually comes off the left and into you, which makes this a tough par 3.
cd87cc0773d4094f885b28c05646eb05.jpg

1580223182902.png

It's a pretty favorable green all things being equal. Two holes later is a peninsula green that is much tougher IMO.

I've played on 2 that I can recall. There is a course an hour from me (Renditions) which has all replicas of famous PGA holes, with Sawgrass #17 as one of the par 3s. There is another course in Myrtle Beach that I've played too, think it's called Oyster Bay.

I have played at least 2. I was fortunate enough to play TPC Sawgrass twice (I made a 2 and a 3).

Prestonwood Country Club in Cary, NC which hosts a Champions Tour event called the SAS Championship has one also. It is the 8th hole in the tournament and the 17th on one of the courses they have for regular play. Depending on tees that one plays between 130 yards and 170 yards. My highlight there was a hole in one during the pro am of the SAS Championship one year that was from 125 yards with a PW.

I never have, but I really would like to - love the idea of the pressure and nowhere to bail out. Would be a lot of fun seeing the banter between the group, especially if the first 3 all made it onto the green safely - the 4th would have a bit of a task!

If you ever head down this way, there is always Rockliffe Hall with this hole - https://www.rockliffehall.com/golf-tour/hole-5

I am pretty sure I can find another couple of friends to make up a group

If you ever head down this way, there is always Rockliffe Hall with this hole - https://www.rockliffehall.com/golf-tour/hole-5

I am pretty sure I can find another couple of friends to make up a group
Definitely, let's do it. My old man lives in Thirsk so am sure he'd be up for it if that would work? I come down there fairly frequently so that would work perfectly - many thanks indeed!

Definitely, let's do it. My old man lives in Thirsk so am sure he'd be up for it if that would work? I come down there fairly frequently so that would work perfectly - many thanks indeed!

Got friends who live in Thirsk, it isn't far away at all

Excellent, just let me know when you are next down this way (and the weather is a bit nicer) and if you are down here for a few days then we can always head to my home course as well for a round (y)

There are a couple here. Number 7 at Knights Play Golf Center in Apex, NC. This is a par 3 course. I've played it many times, never grabbed my own photo, though there is one on the Web page linked below. The green connects with a land bridge.

Also, Number 12 at the Crossings Golf Club in Durham, NC, which I've played a few times. Here are pictures of that one from a few years ago. Then one with the white houses in the background is from the tee boxes. The young woman walking over the land bridge with her putter is my daughter.

Attachments

• Crossings Scenes - 3.jpeg
    Crossings Scenes - 3.jpeg
    156.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Crossings Scenes - 4.jpeg
    Crossings Scenes - 4.jpeg
    175.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Crossings Scenes - 6.jpeg
    Crossings Scenes - 6.jpeg
    158.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I play this one fairly regurlarly. #14 at Eagle Vines in Napa, CA. It's not a terribly hard hole. I actually had my very first ever birdie on this hole several years ago.
EV14.jpg

We have Tour 18 here in Humble, TX where they've recreated the 17th at Sawgrass. It's hard to believe those guys ever miss that huge green, though to be fair, the wind and firmness of the real hole (not to mention the pressure) add elements that aren't at the hole at Tour 18.

Here's the hole - you can see parts of Amen Corner off to the left!

tour 18.PNG

Love this hole. Never have played it particularly well though

It's a fun one. We played it two days ago in all that big wind. It was absolultely brutal. It was playing about 160 into the breeze, and I hit the top of the retaining wall at about 120. I hit a flushed 6i, starting about 30 degrees right of the hole, and it hit the top of that wall, about 30 degrees left of the pin, at about 120 yards coming back towards the tee, and bounced forward towards the green. It was a huge breeze. It was so bad, all we could do was laugh about it. Didn't make birdie.

I've played a hundred rounds at a par 54 - 18 hole course that features a 9th hole Island Green.
White tee is 85 yards, directly behind the island is the clubhouse. There's a large sign by tee box warning golfers of the consequences of breaking a clubhouse windows. The Black tee box is on another island 140 yards away, a distance much easier to judge the correct club.

I have not played an island green as of yet. Not sure how I would do, but am willing to give it a go.

People seem to like them, visually at least, but to me, they're gimmicky.

i think there was one at tubac? that's the only one that's coming to mind that i've played.

Played my first one this past weekend with @KY Golfer
I want another shot at it when I’m actually hitting the ball instead of the mud 3” behind it

I have not played an Island Par 3 green. Probably the closest to that would be this peninsula par 3 at Vaalar Creek north of San Antonio.
1581097919018.png
Played on a stupid windy day with a friend and meet my college buddy and a friend of his that I hadn't seen in a long time. Wind was blowing 30 and gusting to 45-50 probably. The pin was probably a little right of the picture and on the back playing 196. The wind was blowing into us with a little left to right direction. I usually hit it very low so I hit my hybrid and it lauched high, ballooned, and landed short of the water and rolled in. We all went in the water so we all decided to take a mulligan. They all hit 3 woods and ended up slicing them and the wing just carried them right OB. I pulled out my driver and aimed about where the left edge of the water is with a soft high fade. The wind holds it up and carries it back right towards the pin. It lands right behind the pin and is just on the back of the green about 10 ft above the hole. It was probably a 245-250ish carry shot that played that short. It is still one of the coolest shots I've hit!

Played a few, including the famous one. Not so bad when it's calm. Kinda sucks when it's windy!

FYI, the 14th at Coeur d'Alene is not one of those short island green par-3s. We played it from the blues during the Budget Golf Championship last year, and I think it was ~165 yds. both days. I think @JB said only 8 guys were on the green each day, some more on the island but not on the green, and of course plenty in the lake too.

hole_by_hole_14.png

Back