Exhausted by Pro Golf?

blugold

Autobots, ROLL OUT!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Last night I came across this article from "No Laying Up".

It's hitting me more than I thought it would. I've been thinking about it a bunch. I love this silly game. The time I spend with friends and family on the course. The unending search for the perfect golf ball or the swing thought that makes the ball do what I want.

I like the chaos, because I'm like that. But I can't say I'm going to watch more professional golf. I can definitely say I love golf, just as much.

It's hitting me more than I thought it would. I've been thinking about it a bunch. I love this silly game. The time I spend with friends and family on the course. The unending search for the perfect golf ball or the swing thought that makes the ball do what I want.

I like the chaos, because I'm like that. But I can't say I'm going to watch more professional golf. I can definitely say I love golf, just as much.
I have said this a few places here. I am getting burned out with all the pro golf stuff. it’s pushing away rather than pulling me in.

I think it is all entertaining. Except for the rollback stuff.

I was over it a year or two ago. I’ll only tune into majors and Ryder cup

I like watching Pro golf because they are amazing but the Drama is getting old.

I watched less pro golf this year than ever before. I enjoy discussing the theory of it, mostly in the business sense of how the tour treated the players and the social psychology aspect of people's reactions to LIV.....but i didn't actually enjoy watching golf more and didn't.

I came away from the last couple of years liking a few of the participants a lot less.

I'm getting that way. I understand players moving to LIV, but I don't like it as a product. And in the mean time, it's diluting the PGA of talent and making that harder to watch.

I'll throw on the majors and some of the bigger tournaments this year, but I won't watch as much as I usually do. Congrats to them on their accomplishments and success, but I don't like watching millionaires bitching at other millionaires.

The older I get and the more I learn and understand about how the world turns, the less I care about pro golf.

At the same time, the more I love real golf. Played by real people who PAY to play it for nothing other than love of the game and enjoyment of course and company.

I like playing/practicing golf more than watching it, so all the changes taking place in pro golf right now are not that big of deal for me.

I still watch tv golf, but except for 3 of the majors, I only watch the weekly (Sat/Sun) stuff in short segments at a time. I never sit through the whole broadcasts.

I have a streaming channel that shows older pga golf 24/7 that I will tune into on occasions. It tends to show more golf shots, with fewer interruptions.

Yep, got to agree with you. these days you just can't turn to a golf tournament and not hear the taking heads complain about what's going on in LIV land. From the loony tunes Brandell Shambles to want-ta-be news reporters at golf tournaments and now the golf ball roll back, to the chaos at the PGA leadership and player level . Before LIV, I watched a lot of golf on TV, but now, I hardly even watch the majors unless, I'm lucky enough to go with my cousin for a long Augusta week. The negativism these days for me, outweigh the positives watching the PGAT on TV. I guess professional golf reminds me of the days of car racing with CART vs Indy Car Series and the old days of professional football NFL vs AFL, and look how those ended up..

Thank you for asking.

I'm tired of hearing the whining about money from guys who are earning more money in one year than I would earn in ten lifetimes and complain that it's not enough, and that's what it has come down to as I see it. I'll watch the U.S. Open, the British Open, and the LPGA on TV, but that's all the professional golf that interests me any more.

I honestly have no interest in pro golf at all, never did.

I love golf for me and equipment and stats and sims and peacock clothes and THP, just not the pro game.

We have a tendency to worry about things that are going to happen to people we don’t know regarding things we’ll never do.

As far as professional golf:

LPGA.

I love watching professional golf. I watch the overseas tours a lot as they are on early mornings and then catch everything else whenever I can.

The drama with professional golf doesn't really bother me. It's a cycle like anything else. Always something to shake things up, but it always comes back to the norm I feel like.

And I like LIV in terms of the events they put on, although I find the TV product highly underwhelming. I honestly didn't think they'd survive more than a couple of years. I still think it's a lacking product and that most of the regular tour players would beat the LIV players more times than not. The PGA could have squashed LIV but it's obvious their leadership failed and failed big. Although players have greatly benefitted from what LIV created. But I don't know the long term feasibility of that either.

We'll see how it all plays out, but my pro golf attention remains the same.

Honestly, I pretty much gave up of the PGA a couple of years ago. I'm not interested in watching a bunch of guys hit drivers & wedges most of the time. There is not a lot of personality on the tour and the golf is just boring. The PGA does not market itself very well and the bitching & whining turns me off.

LIV has ruined professional golf for me. I’ll watch the majors and The Players. But time spent watching the crap product that will be LIV and what remains of the regular PGA Tour schedule is of little interest to me. That’s time I could be pounding balls in my Garage Sim

I think I was getting bored with the regular tour just before Covid. It was always the same stuff on the tv every year. Then LIV kicked in and the conversation here and elsewhere drove me further away from all of it.
I’ve never watched a full hole of any LIV event. I’m also cut back on the PGA by an estimate of 60%. Still like the U.S. majors.

I watched less golf than ever before this year. It’s become boring and LIV makes it more so not less so.

Not at all. I watch a lot of golf and you don't need top tier players to make it compelling. Good golf is good golf, no matter who is teeing it up.

When the PGAT added the wrap around season stuff, it just became too much golf on TV.
Oh, the first year of it was cool, but then it just became over exposure.
And I like to watch golf, just ask my wife.

I watch more LPGA these days. LIV (and thier backers) are ruining the game. These guys are living a privileged lives and still they need more money?

I only watch the majors and Ryder cup.

The prima-donna pro class seems to have muddied up things for the Joel Dahman, Kevin Kisner, Tom Kim types. I’d rather hear more about those folks than the constant dumpster fire. If it bleeds, it leads.

Yes it’s sad to see and so bad for the pro game.

I’m trying my best to not think about it and just enjoy the PGA and LPGA tour events without worrying about the players who left. This weekend will be great with the coed event. I’m loving what I have seen so far and looking forward to the rest of the tournament. It’s refreshing after watching what’s happened over the last couple of years and I hope we see more of it.

Focus on the positive I guess.

I don't care much about professional golf, it's unwatchable anyway with the never-ending commercials. You're basically watching a 5 hour infomercial with occasional breaks for a few seconds of golf. I've never been a fan of watching pre-recorded sports, but if there's a tournament I'm really interested in I'd rather DVR it and watch it on delay so I can FF through all the commercials and stupid, inane fluff pieces. I watch a lot more LPGA than PGAT these days anyway.

I don't have much of an opinion on PGAT vs LIV, except that the blame for everything that has happened lies squarely upon Jay Monahan and his stooges. He has bungled the situation so badly that it's amazing he still has a job - let alone getting paid millions of dollars for his utter incompetence.

Back