Fairway Wood Face Depth

ryang13

Wristy McWristFace
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
9.0 GC
Deep? Shallow? What’s your preference and why? Does the depth affect how you use it?

My 3-wood is much deeper than my 7W (different brands), and I think I prefer the look of the deeper face.

Deeper the better for me, specifically in that 3w spot. It makes it more viable where I hit it the most, off the tee, but still plenty doable for me off the deck.

It’s why I bought a tour head in the Paradym 💎💎💎 last year, that DEEEEEEEEEEEEP face.

I prefer a shallow face and get better results with them

Deep? Shallow? What’s your preference and why? Does the depth affect how you use it?

My 3-wood is much deeper than my 7W (different brands), and I think I prefer the look of the deeper face.
The big difference is shallow will always be easier to hit off the deck for 98% of people, so it’s all about how you plan to use it.

My favorite fairway of all time was deeper and I could hit it off the tee or off the deck zero issues. I’ve gravitated towards shallower faces since 2021. And it’s gone okay. I like the look better but maybe I should give deeper faces a shot again

Mines 2015’ Gbb , shallow ish face and like @Jman - it needs to be to find the sweet spot , off the fairway . If it too high a face you won’t find it .

As preferred , yes l like the sleeker compact look , lam not hitting a driver etc lol

Mines 2015’ Gbb , shallow ish face and like @Jman - it needs to be to find the sweet spot , off the fairway . If it too high a face you won’t find it .

As preferred , yes l like the sleeker compact look , lam not hitting a driver etc lol
Depends on the person, I actually hit a deeper face equally well off the deck, but for most golfers shallower is better

I have all Mavriks - shallow I believe.. have tried many others - none that hit this well. I like em so much I bought a few spares in case of a horrible accident.

R (1).gif

I like medium. Not a fan of super shallow like some of the Pings are

The Titleist TSR2 is nice for me.

I like deep on my 3W. My 7w is a little shallow but I hit that off the deck, even off the tee.

I like medium. Not a fan of super shallow like some of the Pings are

The Titleist TSR2 is nice for me.
That’s the current 7W (Ping), and it seems super shallow next to the 3W.

I prefer the look and compactness at address of deep and deeper faces. They don’t like me all the time though.

I do think less deep works better of the deck.

Deeper face = more confidence off of the tee for me. Thinner face makes me fear the dreaded skymark.

Depends on the person, I actually hit a deeper face equally well off the deck, but for most golfers shallower is better
Iam a sweeper , and do get my 3w to just short of 200 metres at sea level , although measured one & 221 m a few months back .

Do really like the ball of the deck ))

Played a shallow face for a little while way back when but a few sky balls out of fluffy lies and off tee sent it to the bench. Have gone deep face since.

This one is huge for me. I do not get along with shallow faced fairways. It doesn't suit my strike pattern or swing at all. And it's probably the #1 reason I play the FWs do.

This one is huge for me. I do not get along with shallow faced fairways. It doesn't suit my strike pattern or swing at all. And it's probably the #1 reason I play the FWs do.
How does the depth affect your strike pattern?

Whatever my Cobra F7 is considered. Probably mid shallow? Either way it's one of the best clubs I've ever had!

How does the depth affect your strike pattern?
No I'm saying my swing and strike pattern are what they are, and they don't pair well with a shallow faced fairway. But give me one for a while and those results will start affecting both.

Wear pattern is just above center. On mine, which is deep. And my misses from the lies I play tend to be up the face, not down. Which works out just fine on mine compared to one that's shallower and puts that same strike much higher on its face.

No I'm saying my swing and strike pattern are what they are, and they don't pair well with a shallow faced fairway. But give me one for a while and those results will start affecting both.

Wear pattern is just above center. On mine, which is deep. And my misses from the lies I play tend to be up the face, not down. Which works out just fine on mine compared to one that's shallower and puts that same strike much higher on its face.
I gotcha. Do you launch shallower woods higher then?

I used to prefer the deeper faced FWWs. Like the F9s. But my G430s have changed my mind. I still have an F9 that I can’t seem to get out of my bag. I bring it out on courses that have long Par3s mostly. Can tee up some moon balls with that club. Still love it. The Pings you go up one groove higher and they will fly super high. Just not much room for error. If you get steep forget it. Very easy to sky em teed up.

Last edited:
Depending on course I might swap one for the other. Have a Radspeed Big Tour that is deeper than my F9 head. Home course 3 wood is tee shot only. In that case the Big Tour head is the head of choice. If playing a course that requires 3 wood off turf I might swap in the F9.

Back in the day I played Orlimar Trimetal woods, the first generation. Initially, I really liked them on the fairway, but wished for a higher face on the tee box. Even the driver had that shallow face height and that was not very confidence inspiring. But when I hit that driver right with that Harrison Striper shaft, I bombed it. Eventually I went to Adams, and now play Ping G fairways. Happy with that face height.

I can get steep. A steep delivery and a shallow faced fairway don’t get along.

Therefore I lean deeper faces.

Back