Fall 2014 Central Iowa Get Together

Ok messages left with both TCI and Coldwater. Guess we shall see what I hear back. The $55 rate on a Sunday at TCI is a great deal considering the course. I just don't want to lose guys cause they can't afford it. However if you are coming and have never played TCI, you would be in for a treat!

To answer you question Rock. Ankeny to Boone is around 45 minutes

Welcome Doug. Great to have you here at THP to represent Iowa. We will be playing Honey Creek on Saturday. Sunday was planned for Coldwater but lack of response on their part has us considering perhaps TCI. Certainly hope you will join us that weekend. Team Iowa will be dragging Team Illinois up and down the nines to reclaim the title of Team Midwest THP!

I lived 99% of my life in Illinois in the Chicago suburbs, but moved to Des Moines this past October for a job. Can I represent both Iowa and Illinois? :D My brain and body won't make 36 holes in one day, so I'm up for whichever day hits the 18 wherever that's at.

BTW, Otter Creek has been renovated if you haven't played there yet. It's a gorgeous and well-maintained links-style course in my backyard in Ankeny. It's a nice back-up option.

doug

I lived 99% of my life in Illinois in the Chicago suburbs, but moved to Des Moines this past October for a job. Can I represent both Iowa and Illinois? :D My brain and body won't make 36 holes in one day, so I'm up for whichever day hits the 18 wherever that's at.

BTW, Otter Creek has been renovated if you haven't played there yet. It's a gorgeous and well-maintained links-style course in my backyard in Ankeny. It's a nice back-up option.

doug

Well welcome to Iowa! Living in Iowa, I think you would have to support Team Iowa! You can join us both days and only play 18 on Saturday and 18 on Sunday. Have you played either Honey Creek or TCI? Both are amazing and then combined with the THP Brotherhood. It will be an amazing weekend of golf.

doug
This sounds familiar. Though, I would have to replace job with wife's family.

Welcome to Iowa. It's definitely different, and you can interpret that whichever way you want :)

Well welcome to Iowa! Living in Iowa, I think you would have to support Team Iowa! You can join us both days and only play 18 on Saturday and 18 on Sunday. Have you played either Honey Creek or TCI? Both are amazing and then combined with the THP Brotherhood. It will be an amazing weekend of golf.

Nope, neither. TCI is on my short list for my week off in September with the Harvester. I'm in a masochistic mood.

I have played since I was 8, then quit about 12 years ago. Life got in the way until I was able to start playing again this spring. I'm just trying to play as many different courses as I can, so maybe the back-to-back 18s that weekend would work if I'm not completely gassed after Saturday. Hah!

Do you guys do carts or hoof it, or both?

Welcome to Iowa. It's definitely different, and you can interpret that whichever way you want :)

The sports scene has been the hardest adjustment. Go Bears!

Nope, neither. TCI is on my short list for my week off in September with the Harvester. I'm in a masochistic mood.

I have played since I was 8, then quit about 12 years ago. Life got in the way until I was able to start playing again this spring. I'm just trying to play as many different courses as I can, so maybe the back-to-back 18s that weekend would work if I'm not completely gassed after Saturday. Hah!

Do you guys do carts or hoof it, or both?

TCI and The Harvester are 2 amazing courses. Though Harvester is pricey! We ride.

The sports scene has been the hardest adjustment. Go Bears!
Yep. That and restaurant/food selection.

Still haven't found a good slice, italian beefs are non-existent, and other cultural restaurants.

We definitely ride! Typically, you'll see me driving around in a cart, quoting Bad Boys 2 "We ride together, we die together, bad boys for life." And then I fist bump everyone.

I'm not opposed to Otter Creek either. Truthfully, there are a ton of nice and/or fun courses in and around des moines that I've been in the mood to play again.

For instance, I've recently been in the mood for Jester Park. Its not the nicest course, in fact, I wouldn't even call it nice. The greens are fine, but I seem to recall the fairways needing work. But it was a nice layout and forgiving off the tee.

I'd also appreciate another opportunity to destroy Otter Creek. I think last time I played it, it had just been aerated.

~Rock

Yep. That and restaurant/food selection.

Still haven't found a good slice, italian beefs are non-existent, and other cultural restaurants.

Jethros isn't cultural enough? What about the Machine Shed?

~Rock

For instance, I've recently been in the mood for Jester Park. Its not the nicest course, in fact, I wouldn't even call it nice. The greens are fine, but I seem to recall the fairways needing work. But it was a nice layout and forgiving off the tee.

I did Grandview last week with low expectations and was pleasantly surprised. I really liked it a lot and it was $16 to walk 18. Nice new clubhouse, too. Waveland is next on my list this week.

Jethros isn't cultural enough? What about the Machine Shed?

~Rock
Haha. This is what I get for living in the whitest state in the country.

I did Grandview last week with low expectations and was pleasantly surprised. I really liked it a lot and it was $16 to walk 18. Nice new clubhouse, too. Waveland is next on my list this week.

I recently played Waveland for the first time. Almost no flat lie to be found. I thought it was a challenge.

Tap talking my way thru the World of golf!

I'd also appreciate another opportunity to destroy Otter Creek. I think last time I played it, it had just been aerated.

~Rock
Fairways still need work. I played in a tournament out there a few weeks back and they don't rope off repair areas. It's ridiculous. They spray paint around it assuming people will avoid them. Nope. You see tire tracks throughout those areas, and is it shocking to see that grass isn't growing back?

Overall it's not a bad course. Obviously it could be better.

Haha. This is what I get for living in the whitest state in the country.
Surely north dakota has us beat. Ill admit, i have a friend in chicago, and the food selection there is awesome. But at the machine shed, if you say i love eggs, you get a free extra egg.
Waveland is a fun old school course. I think its the oldest course west of the Mississippi.

~Rock

Surely north dakota has us beat. Ill admit, i have a friend in chicago, and the food selection there is awesome. But at the machine shed, if you say i love eggs, you get a free extra egg.

Waveland is a fun old school course. I think its the oldest course west of the Mississippi.

~Rock
I know lots of random stuff like, only Maine, NH, Vermont, Idaho has Iowa beat. And I would not want to live in any of those states either :)

I know lots of random stuff like, only Maine, NH, Vermont, Idaho has Iowa beat. And I would not want to live in any of those states either :)

Here's a random fact you might not know: It's illegal to fish while riding a horse in Utah

Here's a random fact you might not know: It's illegal to fish while riding a horse in Utah
Dammit!! Now what the heck am I going to do with my new fishing chaps?

In a town in southern Iowa, it is illegal to "molest squirrels." Actual wording from the ordinance.

~Rock

Hmmmmmm......there is absolutely no way I am responding to that article in any way, shape or form. No way, there isn't a stick big enough to poke that with.

I would have hated to be the judge on that case.

Illinois may have corruption, but we have that! Go Iowa!

~Rock
Looks like team Iowa wins this round... :alien:

Finally heard back from Coldwater. Total price for round on Sunday would be $44.94. I'm still waiting to hear back from TCI.

Personally if there is only a ten dollar difference I want to play TCI. With the rave revues I have heard from THP it sounds like a course I need to play.

Back