Fan Tracking Has Come To The Memorial

buckeyewalt

Reaction score
Handicap
I gotta think the chip, in theory, could help with policing social distancing. See a cluster and you send security over to that direction to separate people. However, I would think you would be better off having a few extra marshalls walking around to make sure people are social distancing.

Warn them once. Second time throw their a$$ out.

I guess it's better than allowing no fans at all.

Cool to know what they're using... and telling us they're using. I'd like to know what else they're using and not telling us

We are pretty far along in society to have this. However, when say a "Tiger Gallery" forms are they really going to break it up? does that mean I just watch from the fairway? Understand safety and trying to match that with what I see on TV from gallery actions.

Not surprising. You know that people arent going to practice social distancing at sporting events and the only real way to police it on a golf course is to track the patrons.
I certainly wouldnt want to have the job of telling people that they need to scatter though, especially considering all the drunk idiots that you see at PGA Tour events these days.

Am I the only person that thinks they are looking at a ton more data of crowd control vs just trying to police social distancing? Watching the way people move from hole to hole, times those individuals are at food locations, seeing if and time people spend in the merchandise tents.
All of that information can be used by marketing to setup future tournaments to maximize more profits.

I will be interested to see how many people they allow. On Fridays the 14th green is like a bar and packed wall to wall. That will be hard to police.

Am I the only person that thinks they are looking at a ton more data of crowd control vs just trying to police social distancing? Watching the way people move from hole to hole, times those individuals are at food locations, seeing if and time people spend in the merchandise tents.
All of that information can be used by marketing to setup future tournaments to maximize more profits.
Oh you know they are.

A lot of that is simple common sense though... (although it's probably not too common)

If it's like you said where they're tracking all movements and not just watching for 6' distance violations (and that's got to be an accurate system for that I think) then they are going to confirm their projections... lines for the bathroom, food, and merchandise.

I would hope they do. This makes fan experience better. Maybe its a concession stand or merchandise stand that is more accessible or in event features. I see it as a positive more than negative.

I would hope they do. This makes fan experience better. Maybe its a concession stand or merchandise stand that is more accessible or in event features. I see it as a positive more than negative.
Not to derail the OP topic, but not sure I am a fan of total tracking. I know Disney is doing this now with everyone wearing magic bands, but I am not sure how far I want my every move tracked at any event, store, or everything else I do. But, whom I am kidding we are all tracked now with our phones and internet clicks. 😂

It should be noted that they've been using this technology for the last 4 years, so it isn't anything new.

I like that tournaments are making plans to accommodate patrons, but I am surprised they are openly talking about them.

Feels kind of... future'y. Maybe it's to ease concerns?

Shocked this doesn’t happen already there. For those who don’t know (used to live in Columbus) daily tickets are rare. Typically you get this hard plastic badge and it’s a RFID badge that allows you in for the Memorial. Probably the most limited ticket golf event I’ve attended, crowds there were always much smaller than the galleries in Akron for Bridgestone

They need to add some tech to those badges. Put a mic on it and automatically contact security when someone yells, "mashed potatoes" or "get in the hole".

Shocked this doesn’t happen already there. For those who don’t know (used to live in Columbus) daily tickets are rare. Typically you get this hard plastic badge and it’s a RFID badge that allows you in for the Memorial. Probably the most limited ticket golf event I’ve attended, crowds there were always much smaller than the galleries in Akron for Bridgestone

Did not know that.

Back